Higher HR in 2 "similar" individuls - Any benefits either way?

tonysj
tonysj Posts: 391
Hi All,
Those who may have seen some of my posts about Fitness, Power meters etc will know I'm very much still learning to get my head around the issues of training etc.

I went on a leisurely ride with a group of friends last week , 58 miles with 5600 feet of elevation in the Peak District. I call these rides a leisurely ride as they involve a couple of cafe stops and average speed overall is 13- 14 MPH.

We went up Mam Tor from the Edale side ( not up Winnats Pass ) which is 1.32 miles of 10% average. Now I've never ridden up Mam Tor AKA Mam Nic so took it at a reasonable pace not knowing how hard it may be. My mate has ridden the hill a number of times possibly near 10 times, so knows the climb a lot better than me.
Hes similar age and weight and has been cycling for a number of years where I'm fairly new only cycling on a road bike for less than 3 years.

These are the stats for the climb.
Me 6.2 m/hr, 146 Av HR, 156 Max HR, 250 Watts ( via Power meter ) Time 12min 47 secs.
Mate 6.3 m/hr, 156 Av HR, 182 Max HR, 250 Watts ( via Strava NO PM ) Time 12min 42 secs.His PB is 12min 41secs.

My Max HR is 182 BPM but recently I don't get anywhere near this number peaking around 174 BPM.
My mate is 202 BPM on a recent Turbo session and his HR seems higher when hes cycling even with the group at the same intensity/effort even though he a fit bloke and looks after himself.

The question I'm asking is, are there any benefits from having a higher HR in cycling or is it more to do with VO2Max and the efficiency of the cardiovascular system of the individuals?

Regards.
Tony

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Your HR is not comparable to anyone else's. There is no benefit to having a higher/lower HR than someone else. Stroke volume and your ability to process oxygen is far more important, at whatever your HR happens to be.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    He may have a higher hr because his heart may have a smaller volume. Basically you can't draw any conclusions from this.