the week after a training camp

simon_wü
simon_wü Posts: 15
Hello together,

so yesterday i arrived home from a two week training camp where we did about 1500km which i am not really used to do. right now i feel really exhausted and i could sleep the whole day.

my question now is, how you would recommend the following week, after such a training camp. would you still go out and do some rides or would you take some time off the bike? at the moment i am really unsure because i don't want to lose the gains from the camp.

thank you in advance for the answers and sorry for my bad english. :D

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    In my experience, gains from your camp won't be at their peak until about 4-6 weeks from now. Between now and then you'll go through a period of being tired and feeling crap on the bike, then you will feel better and then you'll feel great.

My first big training camp I made the big mistake of coming home and getting back into my normal training (moderate volume and intensity, not even that high) plus because my boss was useless and nobody had done my job while I was away I ended up quite stressed at work and staying up late hours to catch up on everything that hadn't been done. Promptly got a really bad flu and ended up off the bike for 2 weeks.

So get good sleep, eat good food, keep stress levels low, do a bit of low intensity stuff on the bike but nothing taxing (social/coffee spins, easy recovery rides) for a week or so. Then get back into it once you feel recovered. Don't be surprised if you still feel rough 2 weeks later and not hitting the same power targets or whatever, but don't stress about it either.
  • ^What maryka said

Don't rush back to smashing it too quickly, the gains will come
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Agree a week of lowish intensity without huge volume should have you right and allow the training to bed-in. Then pick up the volume and intensity to build on it
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    maryka wrote:
    In my experience, gains from your camp won't be at their peak until about 4-6 weeks from now. Between now and then you'll go through a period of being tired and feeling crap on the bike, then you will feel better and then you'll feel great.

My first big training camp I made the big mistake of coming home and getting back into my normal training (moderate volume and intensity, not even that high) plus because my boss was useless and nobody had done my job while I was away I ended up quite stressed at work and staying up late hours to catch up on everything that hadn't been done. Promptly got a really bad flu and ended up off the bike for 2 weeks.

So get good sleep, eat good food, keep stress levels low, do a bit of low intensity stuff on the bike but nothing taxing (social/coffee spins, easy recovery rides) for a week or so. Then get back into it once you feel recovered. Don't be surprised if you still feel rough 2 weeks later and not hitting the same power targets or whatever, but don't stress about it either.
    THIS
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    Why have you done a training camp without having an overall plan?.

What did the coaches at the camp recommend ?