Backpack or not to backpack...that is the question?

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Imposter wrote:
    Tyresome wrote:
    And this is the big one ( strictly speaking a 70+10 ) and it does take a lot of getting used to, riding with it full of kit.

So the pic you posted is of a Deuter Quantum, 70+10 backpack - which has a maximum laden weight of 24kg - that's 24kg and NOT 35kg. Previously you've claimed to ride with 35kg in a backpack, so either you're lying and that isn't the backpack you have, or you are lying about how much weight you carry. Which is it?

You missed a third option - that they are lying about both.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Imposter wrote:
    Tyresome wrote:
    And this is the big one ( strictly speaking a 70+10 ) and it does take a lot of getting used to, riding with it full of kit.

So the pic you posted is of a Deuter Quantum, 70+10 backpack - which has a maximum laden weight of 24kg - that's 24kg and NOT 35kg. Previously you've claimed to ride with 35kg in a backpack, so either you're lying and that isn't the backpack you have, or you are lying about how much weight you carry. Which is it?

i reckon you could fit much more than 24kg in that - tbh 24kg really isn't that much. My work grab bag weighs 17kg and its not that big.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    however, please do not take my previous post in anyway of thinoing that i have stopped believing that nick is both disrespectful and full of shyt.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • im sure as a long time lurker that the previous claims were 40kg, is this a new year slim down?
  • Harking back to a different thread - if that is a 70 litre backpack, you could get 70 kg of water in there.
  • Matthewfalle
    Harking back to a different thread - if that is a 70 litre backpack, you could get 70 kg of water in there.

or 15 x 20kg weight things that you put on the end of bars in the gym. with a full sandbag in the clip on bit.

buggered if I'd try and pick that up though......

admittedly that is something i'd pay a fiver to see nick ride along with.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    Tyresome wrote:

i reckon you could fit much more than 24kg in that - tbh 24kg really isn't that much. My work grab bag weighs 17kg and its not that big.

Size/volume not the issue really. It's whether the straps, buckles and seams can cope with 35kg in weight.
  • imposter2.0
    im sure as a long time lurker that the previous claims were 40kg, is this a new year slim down?

Tbf, it's always been 35kg - it's just been 'inflated' to 40kg over time. As if 35kg was not already absurd enough...
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:
    im sure as a long time lurker that the previous claims were 40kg, is this a new year slim down?

Tbf, it's always been 35kg - it's just been 'inflated' to 40kg over time. As if 35kg was not already absurd enough...

nah - it was always at least 45kg :D

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome Posts: 113
    edited February 2019
    Imposter wrote:
    Tyresome wrote:

You can, it happily takes 35 KGs. And the straps and stitching and the material can easily cope with that as well. The manufacturers have to err on the side of caution, in their estimates.
  • Tyresome
    Harking back to a different thread - if that is a 70 litre backpack, you could get 70 kg of water in there.

The limit isn’t really how much it can hold, it’s how much grief your shoulders and back can take. 35 KGs over 75 miles is plenty. It gets really interesting if the wind picks up.
  • Tyresome wrote:

The limit isn’t really how much it can hold, it’s how much grief your shoulders and back can take. 35 KGs over 75 miles is plenty. It gets really interesting if the wind picks up.

If it was water, you'd be down to 35kg by halfway round.
  • imposter2.0
    Tyresome wrote:

That moment when it's easier to just keep on lying, than it is to actually admit you're a fake... :roll:
  • Matthewfalle
    nick - any video of you with the 75kg one on and you riding? up or down a hill would be good.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome wrote:

If it was water, you'd be down to 35kg by halfway round.

That’s true, it might be a laugh to experiment with it. :lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    nick - any video of you with the 75kg one on and you riding? up or down a hill would be good.

so thats a "no" then.

how strange.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0

so thats a "no" then.

how strange.

Think about it - you're asking a fantasist for evidence of his fantasy....
  • Tyresome

There isn’t as far as I’m aware, unless any passing cars have videos from dash cams. I’ve never done any group rides with loads of kit, just solos up to the hotel for the ride London Sportive. 75KGs :shock:. Christ I probably couldn’t even lift that, let alone ride with it :lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    Tyresome wrote:
    75KGs :shock:. Christ I probably couldn’t even lift that, let alone ride with it :lol:

then you are weak as well as a fantasist.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

so thats a "no" then.

how strange.

Think about it - you're asking a fantasist for evidence of his fantasy....

very true mon ami but i was hoping beyond hope that he would stage something for our amusement.

oh well - plus ca change - disappointment after disappointment...

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    Jesus guys, go and ride your bikes/ get laid/ meet your mates for a beer/hang out with your family...
  • imposter2.0
    sam anon wrote:
    Jesus guys, go and ride your bikes/ get laid/ meet your mates for a beer/hang out with your family...

If that was aimed at Nick - he's never actually done any of those things...
  • Imposter wrote:
    sam anon wrote:

I suspect it was aimed at you Imposter and Matthewfalle . . . If “Nick” is in fact a troll you are just feeding him and ruining every thread you post in . . . just ignore him ffs . . .
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    sam anon wrote:

I suspect it was aimed at you Imposter and Matthewfalle . . . If “Nick” is in fact a troll you are just feeding him and ruining every thread you post in . . . just ignore him ffs . . .

(woosh)

Anyway, it's difficult to do when he posts utter bullshit presented as 'fact' - but I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tip!
  • Tyresome
    sam anon wrote:

I fear they may find this impossible, as they’d require mates, bikes, women ( men more likely ) who were willing, and I’m fairly sure their families hate them too.
  • imposter2.0
    Tyresome wrote:
    sam anon wrote:

I fear they may find this impossible, as they’d require mates, bikes, women ( men more likely ) who were willing, and I’m fairly sure their families hate them too.

Ah, a homophobe, as well as a born liar... :roll:
  • Tyresome wrote:
    sam anon wrote:

Casual homophobia, nice.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Tyresome wrote:
    sam anon wrote:

Casual homophobia, nice.

Does that mean it will soon be time for the 'spot the new username' game?
  • Tyresome wrote:
    sam anon wrote:

I take that personally. Of course I have a bike.
  • Well I've read the last 3 pages if this thread I started and to be fair 'nick' seems the most descent out of all you idiots. He may talk a little bullshit here and there but you guys just keep feeding him and taking the p!ss out of him. He answer all your questions politely and yet you just keep picking on/feeding him.

Since being on this forum it's made me not want to really associate with the general road bike community. A few seem descent but the rest just think they know best and laugh at the simple beginner questions. Honestly if you want the roads to be a safer place you need more people riding. And with the attitudes most of you have you'll instantly put people off. I'm out of here. Hopefully find a descent forum that changes the my views on the majority of fellow cyclists.