Backpack or not to backpack...that is the question?

Comments

• Imaginary shoes fit nicely inside an imaginary bag on an imaginary ride, sorry to hear about your imaginary issues during though :)
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome Posts: 113
    Tyresome wrote:
    Need a spare wheel just in case.

Many a true word spoken in jest. I was doing a 170 odd mile solo ride last year, and someone drove straight into the back of my bike whilst I was stopped in the ASL by Eel brook Common, down near Parson’s green ( 75 odd miles into the ride / from home ). I wish I had a spare wheel with me on that occasion. I did manage to get a new rear wheel, which I managed to find in a very handy LBS ( Chelsea Bikes ) which wasn’t too far up the road ( by the World’s End pub ). One of the things I take with me on a long solo ride, is a pair of trainers, in case I end up with a long walk, after just such a major issue, so it was a good job I had the rucksack on that day, as I had a bit of a walk to the cafe I waited for the bike to be fixed in.

What happens if you find yourself caught out in an electric storm, and need to shelter in a bar, and they have a dress code that doesn't allow people in wearing trainers? You need to carry another pair of shoes. Don't want to be caught out.

I didn’t think of that. I better make sure I write it down, in case I forget.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I have one of these that I take on every ride.

https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bianc ... mpact.html

Very compact and fits nicely into a jersey pocket and can accommodate a multi-tool, levers, patches, elastoplast, antiseptic wipe, quick link, cable ties, cash, keys - all things I have needed on occasion. It also takes a very small Birzman pump

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/birzman-mini-a ... nyEALw_wcB

- to be fair the pump is not the best but does a job in an emergency if I don't have a CO2 cartridge.

Another negative for back packs, I have found, is that the straps can limit your chest expansion and breathing efficency.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Tyresome wrote:
    Tyresome wrote:

Many a true word spoken in jest. I was doing a 170 odd mile solo ride last year, and someone drove straight into the back of my bike whilst I was stopped in the ASL by Eel brook Common, down near Parson’s green ( 75 odd miles into the ride / from home ). I wish I had a spare wheel with me on that occasion. I did manage to get a new rear wheel, which I managed to find in a very handy LBS ( Chelsea Bikes ) which wasn’t too far up the road ( by the World’s End pub ). One of the things I take with me on a long solo ride, is a pair of trainers, in case I end up with a long walk, after just such a major issue, so it was a good job I had the rucksack on that day, as I had a bit of a walk to the cafe I waited for the bike to be fixed in.

What happens if you find yourself caught out in an electric storm, and need to shelter in a bar, and they have a dress code that doesn't allow people in wearing trainers? You need to carry another pair of shoes. Don't want to be caught out.

I assume you carry your Filofax with you at all times.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Full leather-bound desk diary. Tyremuncher never leaves home without it...
  • Imposter wrote:

Full leather-bound desk diary. Tyremuncher never leaves home without it...

I imagine it more to be one of those Fun Fax things that all the kids from the 80's had.
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome wrote:
    Tyresome wrote:

I never leave home without it.
  • Tyresome
    bLYFHqW.jpg

Here’s a 172 ( odd ) miler that I do in the summer, I use a backpack for this one as well. I’ve got to have somewhere to store my Mankini and sun cream for when I reach Brighton.
  • Tyresome
    Crescent wrote:

Another negative for back packs, I have found, is that the straps can limit your chest expansion and breathing efficency.

It depends on the backpack, to an extent. The one I use is designed for snowboarders, and it has a quick release strap that holds it around your waist. If I’m going up any hills, and it gets a bit restrictive, I release the waist strap and then I can breathe fully, as I’m going up a hill anyway, it won’t be flapping about. I just refasten it before the descent.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    a rucksack that has quick release strap around the waist. designed for snowboarders, eh...... Wow. You and your technical kit. You really are a pro.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    A snowboard backpack that holds 35kg....
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    When snowboarding you never know when you will need a spare pair of shoes, dinner jacket etc etc
  • Tyresome
    cld531c wrote:
    When snowboarding you never know when you will need a spare pair of shoes, dinner jacket etc etc

Quite right.
  • Tyresome
    a rucksack that has quick release strap around the waist. designed for snowboarders, eh...... Wow. You and your technical kit. You really are a pro.

I’ve always found it preferable to have more kit than you need, rather than the other way round.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Waist straps ? Brilliant. Just what you need to restrict your breathing. Just tighten the shoulder straps and it won't go anywhere. Snow boarding isn't like cycling. Weirdly eh ?
  • Matthewfalle
    Tyresome wrote:

I’ve always found it preferable to have more kit than you need, rather than the other way round.

yeah. 35kg worth of tat on your back whilst pedalling by yourself at a cadence of 6 revolutions per minute.

you really are pro.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Usually backpacks are sized by volume (i.e. litres), not weight (i.e. kg) capacity...

I commute 14+miles (50-55min) each leg and I never find it annoying. Even in the hot summer we had last year. Maybe my journey isn't long enough to sustain a prolonged "sweaty back"?

I have one of those medium sized backpack (25L) with a meshed back support which creates a ventilation between my back and the backpack. That seem to reduce the "sweaty back" syndrome.

And what's up with this chest / waist strap argument?! I never bother with them, I never considered using them at all...
  • Matthewfalle
    if you want to go back pack also try it on in the shop with your helmet on in cycling position - my climbing day sack boshes the back of my helmet and makes riding head up unconcomfortable, my hiking one is fine.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I sense a butmuncher
  • How much kit do you actually need you can’t put in your pocket?
  • Matthewfalle
    How much kit do you actually need you can’t put in your pocket?

about 35 or 40kg worth seems to be the commonly accepted amount.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    I sense a butmuncher

Your senses are extraordinary for someone who only joined up yesterday.. :?
  • Tyresome
    Usually backpacks are sized by volume (i.e. litres), not weight (i.e. kg) capacity...

I commute 14+miles (50-55min) each leg and I never find it annoying. Even in the hot summer we had last year. Maybe my journey isn't long enough to sustain a prolonged "sweaty back"?

I have one of those medium sized backpack (25L) with a meshed back support which creates a ventilation between my back and the backpack. That seem to reduce the "sweaty back" syndrome.

And what's up with this chest / waist strap argument?! I never bother with them, I never considered using them at all...

You’ll have a job getting an 80 ltr back pack full of everything you’re going to need for a weekend to hold still enough to ride properly, if you don’t fasten the waist and chest belts.
  • Tyresome
    B8uZVx9.jpg

That’s the small ( ski / snowboard / reversible) one I use if I’m not going far. I think it’s about 20 ltrs.

y1xdLGo.jpg

And this is the big one ( strictly speaking a 70+10 ) and it does take a lot of getting used to, riding with it full of kit.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    IF you were doing that - why wouldn't you get a bike with panniers and let the bike carry the load ? It's madness to put the weight on yourself.
  • Imposter wrote:
    I sense a butmuncher

Your senses are extraordinary for someone who only joined up yesterday.. :?

I may be green but I’m no cabbage :)
  • imposter2.0
    cougie wrote:
    IF you were doing that - why wouldn't you get a bike with panniers and let the bike carry the load ? It's madness to put the weight on yourself.

Because he’s lying. He just makes this up as he types...
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:

MADNESS I tell you, its MADNESS!!!!!!!!!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Tyresome wrote:
    B8uZVx9.jpg

That’s the small ( ski / snowboard / reversible) one I use if I’m not going far. I think it’s about 20 ltrs.

y1xdLGo.jpg

And this is the big one ( strictly speaking a 70+10 ) and it does take a lot of getting used to, riding with it full of kit.

:lol:
  • imposter2.0
    Tyresome wrote:

So the pic you posted is of a Deuter Quantum, 70+10 backpack - which has a maximum laden weight of 24kg - that's 24kg and NOT 35kg. Previously you've claimed to ride with 35kg in a backpack, so either you're lying and that isn't the backpack you have, or you are lying about how much weight you carry. Which is it?