Glasgow 2023

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    andyrac said:
    Artistic cycling? That could be one for Thomas, Alaphillipe and Roglic to show their skills! Since when has there been a Gran Fondo WC?

It's going to be odd seeing the Worlds so early, is the TdF date being moved?
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,919
    Pross said:

andyrac said:
    Artistic cycling? That could be one for Thomas, Alaphillipe and Roglic to show their skills! Since when has there been a Gran Fondo WC?

It's going to be odd seeing the Worlds so early, is the TdF date being moved?
    Doesn't look like it, due to start in Bilbao on the 1st July.
  • The Men's RR on the first Sunday (6th August) Can anyone with more knowledge of the calendar confirm if that's a week after the Tour?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

The Men's RR on the first Sunday (6th August) Can anyone with more knowledge of the calendar confirm if that's a week after the Tour?

Two weeks according to my calendar.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • What does the women's rr look like, if they're doing TdF femmes after the men's, like this year?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Yeah, based on the 1st July Tour start date Jim confirmed the Tour finishes on 23rd July so a 2 week gap.The TdF Femmes runs on the 23rd to 30th. The women's RR is on 13th August, a week after the men, so they also get a 2 week break (their TT is on the 10th). The track (3rd - 9th) may be more affected, I'm not sure if it is the case but it feels like there is a wider crossover between road and track in the women's peloton.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    It's possible for any male Elite riders to ride both the Road race, and the XCO race.....However, it's not the same for the women, with both races a day apart.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ^ Combination of a wider road/track crossover for women and a potential Pidcock RR/XCO double will have influenced the organisers' thinking.
    Pross said:

The track (3rd - 9th) may be more affected, I'm not sure if it is the case but it feels like there is a wider crossover between road and track in the women's peloton.

Yeah. In my view many of the top-level female endurance trackies do quite well as roadies too, with GB riders somewhat of an exception (Archibald / Barker only have one international road win each, and Kenny only has one win at national level (not including crits)).
  • Depending on how Ethan Hayter progresses he might be up for an omnium/ITT double (latter on 11th, so no clash there). If memory serves he basically rode the elimination race portion like a TT last year...
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Wonder why the mens elite RR is on the 1st weekend?

I thought it was usually the final race of the whole event.
  • It usually is. Then again there's never been a World Cycling Games* before, so the usual rules go out the window.

[* I think the UCI missed a trick in not adopting this name]
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    ibr17xvii said:

Wonder why the mens elite RR is on the 1st weekend?

I thought it was usually the final race of the whole event.

It will be when it's solely the Road Worlds.....However it's the Super Worlds, so they need to fit a schedule in to suit certain riders.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Not enthralled with the route, it'll be a pretty boring race imo, ride a lot of the roads every day, it'll come down to a small group going clear on a plain circuit. the biggest hill on the circuit, I used to do my big gear hill repeats up it during lockdown, these guys won't even get out the saddle.
  • 50x11 said:

Not enthralled with the route, it'll be a pretty boring race imo, ride a lot of the roads every day, it'll come down to a small group going clear on a plain circuit. the biggest hill on the circuit, I used to do my big gear hill repeats up it during lockdown, these guys won't even get out the saddle.

Agree. Really disappointed with it. Think it could be quite a large group at the end.
  • pblakeney
    50x11 said:

The route (Crow Road excepted) can be guessed at but is not entirely clear, to me.
    I foresee a lot of dissatisfied car drivers in the central belt that day.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

50x11 said:

The route (Crow Road excepted) can be guessed at but is not entirely clear, to me.
    I foresee a lot of dissatisfied car drivers in the central belt that day.
    Bring it on. As a cyclist in central Scotland I'll take great delight in motorists being raging for a few days.

Yeah agree the route doesn't look great but going to be a bit of a thrill having the worlds best literally on my doorstep. Looking forward to the TT in Stirling. Going to be fun checking Strava segments in the following weeks to see big names at the top. Thankfully the single Strava KOM I hold they're going nowhere near!
  • Having a city circuit is ideal, and the pubs will be rocking. The folk coming over from Europe will love it.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Pross said:

The big question is whether @alan_a will get parole in time to be present at his home Champs.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Pro Race Forum party at mine.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    ^ hey hey bring it on 😊
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Pross said:

The big question is whether @alan_a will get parole in time to be present at his home Champs.

Sure he isn't trying to get a permanent residency in crimland?
    Seems an easier and cheaper way of staying in Oz than applying for citizenship and a passport through the normal channels!
  • orraloon
    Anyone else applied for a Volunteer role at 2023 Worlds? I have. Process is not simple; lots of personal Qs in the initial application, now just completed stage 1 of the next part, watch learn answer questions. Suppose it's a way of making sure they get people who are interested enough, not just fat arris phone tappers.

I've opted for Dumfries for the para roads and Glentress for the MTB XC, closest to me.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Good luck @orraloon
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • The title of this thread really needs to be changed to Scotland 2023.

Perth has just been announced as the start/finish for the UCI Gran Fondo Champs.

So that's Stirling for the TT, Glentress for the MTB XCO and Endurance, Ft William for the MTB Downhill and Dumfries & Galloway for the Para Cycling Road. Edinburgh for Men's RR start (and a route that takes in Fife and Stirlingshire and some of the Central Belt.

Glasgow just gets the track, the BMX, the Team TT and the final Road Race loops.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    The UCI awards the Worlds to a host city, not a host country, so the title is correct.
  • pblakeney
    I'd say that the final laps to a finish are more important than the depart.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I am unlikely to be in Edinburgh for the departure, as I tend to go on holidays overseas to avoid the Festival chaos. Having said that, I wish all participants in the men's road race the same "wonderful" westerly that accompanies 90% of my rides here.
  • pblakeney
    Any ideas when the full RR route will be announced in detail?
    Not a vague line on a poor map.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • andyp said:

The UCI awards the Worlds to a host city, not a host country, so the title is correct.

It's hosted in regions, provinces and counties too e.g.

Limburg – 2012
    Yorkshire – 2019
    Flanders - 2021
  • orraloon
    The label is:

Glasgow
    Scotland

and the text reads 'in Glasgow and across Scotland'.

https://www.cyclingworldchamps.com/