Only an MP could get away with this.

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    rjsterry wrote:
    Bally, you seem to have a bit of a thing for her.
    It would appear that Bally has something in common with Corbyn then :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Brakeless wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I see she's doing her best to keep up Labour standards of behaviour.

Jonathan Aitkin - 18 months for perjury, Jeffrey Archer - perjury, Lord Hanningfield -- 14 months for falsely claiming £14k in expenses, Lord Taylor 12 Months for falsely claiming £12 in expenses. All tories.

And yes you can find Labour MPs who have been jailed but to describe this case as 'Labour standards of behaviour' is pretty pathetic really.
    Sense of humour bypass award of the day goes to you...

But anyway, there's no time like the present, so which other MP's are in currently in prison?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Stevo 666 wrote:

But anyway, there's no time like the present, so which other MP's are in currently in prison?

How is that relevant?
  • Stevo_666
    Imposter wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

How is that relevant?
    Because there's no time like the present as mentioned in my post above...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I see she's doing her best to keep up Labour standards of behaviour.

Jonathan Aitkin - 18 months for perjury, Jeffrey Archer - perjury, Lord Hanningfield -- 14 months for falsely claiming £14k in expenses, Lord Taylor 12 Months for falsely claiming £12 in expenses. All tories.

And yes you can find Labour MPs who have been jailed but to describe this case as 'Labour standards of behaviour' is pretty pathetic really.
    Sense of humour bypass award of the day goes to you...

Dunno, Google won't tell me :(
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Chris Huhne and his ex-missus got 8 months each for a lot less lying.
    Chris Huhne got 9 months (reduced from 12 for his guilty plea before trial), Vicky Pryce got 9 months.

On the face of it 3 months seems very lenient. There are lots of similar cases to be found but 3 months is only usually seen where the person has admitted the perverting offence following the first contact from the Police, not having lied continually and dragged it through a contested trial.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Bally, you seem to have a bit of a thing for her.
    It would appear that Bally has something in common with Corbyn then :)

Put it together with that post about the vice and the blowtorch and you have quite the image for a lunchtime.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    rjsterry wrote:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/29/labour-mp-fiona-onasanya-jailed-for-lying-speeding-ticket
    Labour and the Conservatives have called for her to “do the decent thing” and resign immediately.

Just up clarify things, if you look into it she's no longer a labour mp and Labour is also calling for her to resign as an independent MP. All the responsible press sources are being accurate about get status. She's had the labour whip removed some time back.

If you don't like the guardian try the telegraph or other publication. They're all reporting this fact.

Particularly love the spurious Diane Abbott tie in. Bally, you seem to have a bit of a thing for her.

Bally seems more obsessed with Diane Abbott playing the race/gender card than Diane Abbott actually is...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The Rookie wrote:
    Chris Huhne and his ex-missus got 8 months each for a lot less lying.
    Chris Huhne got 9 months (reduced from 12 for his guilty plea before trial), Vicky Pryce got 9 months.

On the face of it 3 months seems very lenient. There are lots of similar cases to be found but 3 months is only usually seen where the person has admitted the perverting offence following the first contact from the Police, not having lied continually and dragged it through a contested trial.

Her brother received 10 months - I think the judge said that her recent diagnosis of MS was taken into account - despite the fact that it wouldn't affect her ability to serve the time.
    3 months - means she's out in 6 weeks? Doesn't seem like a huge punishment in itself - although I guess she'll end up losing the post of MP and seems to have given up being a solicitor - but being based up in Peterborough, she'll be able to apply for a fruit/veg picking job to earn some money....
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/29/labour-mp-fiona-onasanya-jailed-for-lying-speeding-ticket
    Labour and the Conservatives have called for her to “do the decent thing” and resign immediately.

Just up clarify things, if you look into it she's no longer a labour mp and Labour is also calling for her to resign as an independent MP. All the responsible press sources are being accurate about get status. She's had the labour whip removed some time back.

If you don't like the guardian try the telegraph or other publication. They're all reporting this fact.

Particularly love the spurious Diane Abbott tie in. Bally, you seem to have a bit of a thing for her.

I'm a big fan. She should be on prime time tv every night hosting a current affairs programme.

Regarding the black/woman jibe. It's Di's standard response.

Isn't she still a regular with Michael Portillo on that awful Andrew Neil programme?

Don't think she is on any more. :(
    Labour party probably oiked her off.
    Give me the chance to post this again. Owen Jones, Guardian columnist and Corbyn cheerleader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSC3RMstJl8

Lefties! Not a ****ing clue have they?
  • Diane Abbott got kicked off the show with portillo and he's not on it much if at all now. It's still a male tory and female Labour mp though. I don't know if that's significant!
  • Only sentences greater than 1 year results in an MP having to vacate their seat. Under that they have only been able to be recalled since 2015 legislation came into effect.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ballysmate wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I'm a big fan. She should be on prime time tv every night hosting a current affairs programme.

Isn't she still a regular with Michael Portillo on that awful Andrew Neil programme?

Give me the chance to post this again. Owen Jones, Guardian columnist and Corbyn cheerleader.

and the Tories have done a great job recently haven't they.

and anytholing right wing, come to think of it. sterling work all round.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    And the MFs whataboutery makes Diane and Owen's views more intelligent in which way?
  • Owen is just another talking head who likes the sound of his own voice. There's plenty like that on TV. Politics of the individual is less important than their desire to be heard. Although the second video year came up after the linked one read funny. I'm just glad the dial stopped on walkout. The suicide n option was going too far!

Portillo was such a politician once. Now he's paid to talk while on a train. His perfect job!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ballysmate wrote:
    And the MFs whataboutery makes Diane and Owen's views more intelligent in which way?

not more intelligent.
    not less intelligent.
    none are better than the others.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    rjsterry wrote:
    Then explain what she has got away with.
    We're not talking about getting away with her crime, but the way she's behaved after the event - not resigning, which allows her to continue earning her salary when she can't actually do her job, and appealing so that her constituents are unable to do anything about it until likely after she's released. I mean, well played her, but show some integrity.
  • tyke999
    tyke999 Posts: 50
    She Lied, she got caught, she was found guilty, she was sentenced ....but keeps her job. !!!

What a great system we have.
  • rjsterry
    Tyke999 wrote:
    She Lied, she got caught, she was found guilty, she was sentenced ....but keeps her job. !!!

What a great system we have.
    :roll:
    Her constituents can recall her if they wish. But only they can 'sack' her. She is not employed in the normal sense.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    JoeNobody wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Then explain what she has got away with.
    We're not talking about getting away with her crime, but the way she's behaved after the event - not resigning, which allows her to continue earning her salary when she can't actually do her job, and appealing so that her constituents are unable to do anything about it until likely after she's released. I mean, well played her, but show some integrity.
    Are we not? Should she not be allowed to appeal a conviction like everyone else? I think her behaviour is ridiculous, but she shouldn't have special treatment.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• What if she had grounds for appeal? Should she not exercise her legal rights until your indignance has be satisfied? She's following the rules set out in law.

She can't undergo a recall petition because of her appeal. She has the legal right to defend herself in criminal proceedings including a right of appeal if there are grounds. These are both the law aiui. If you want to choose to ignore the law then which laws can be ignored?

The only complaint is whether an MP should feel suitably moral to want to resign to concentrate on bdefending themselves. I personally think that would be good, others possibly don't agree.
  • But that aside, does she not have legal rights? Should we ignore their rights if we don't like them?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Ballysmate wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Does that moron have a job at the guardian?????
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    But that aside, does she not have legal rights? Should we ignore their rights if we don't like them?

She has her rights and no doubt she can quote them ad infinitum . Responsibility and moral obligation seem to be something that doesn't concern her. She's scum.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

How is that relevant?

Why don't you start a petition. Get enough signatures and get it debated in parliament. Or get your local MP to table a private members bill in getting the law changed.

But since nearly all MPs will close ranks - especially the Tories - you have zero chance of that law getting through.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

How is that relevant?

Why don't you start a petition. Get enough signatures and get it debated in parliament. Or get your local MP to table a private members bill in getting the law changed.

But since nearly all MPs will close ranks - especially the Tories - you have zero chance of that law getting through.
    Missing the point - I was saying that current behaviour of MPs within the parties is far more relevant that that which happened years or decades ago - as in the examples quoted by Brakeless in his little rant.
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Does that moron have a job at the guardian?????
    He does indeed. The sort of person who really should get more air time so we know what they're really like.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    But that aside, does she not have legal rights? Should we ignore their rights if we don't like them?

By all means exercise your legal rights but then consider your moral obligation to your constituency and how you can perform that obligation while incarcerated? It just reaffirms her flawed personality that was evident during the court case. Lies and misdirection.

No doubt she will end up on some third rate celubutard reality tv show on itv27 or something of that ilk.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

How is that relevant?

Missing the point - I was saying that current behaviour of MPs within the parties is far more relevant that that which happened years or decades ago - as in the examples quoted by Brakeless in his little rant.

Not missing the point at all. There is a precedent for this sort of thing. That's how parliament and the law works. Yes, the behaviour of some MPs has been appalling but since there is no statutory way of forcing an MP to step down involuntary unless they are imprisoned for more than a year (Representation of People's Act 1981)

Laws can only be changed by parliament. So as I said. If they close ranks to cover their own arses then it's not getting through. Not now not ever.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

How is that relevant?

Not missing the point at all. There is a precedent for this sort of thing. That's how parliament and the law works. Yes, the behaviour of some MPs has been appalling but since there is no statutory way of forcing an MP to step down involuntary unless they are imprisoned for more than a year (Representation of People's Act 1981)

Laws can only be changed by parliament. So as I said. If they close ranks to cover their own arses then it's not getting through. Not now not ever.
    No, you are missing my point. You made a different point...