Only an MP could get away with this.

13»

Comments

• Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

But anyway, there's no time like the present, so which other MP's are in currently in prison?

How is that relevant?
    Because there's no time like the present as mentioned in my post above...

Why don't you start a petition. Get enough signatures and get it debated in parliament. Or get your local MP to table a private members bill in getting the law changed.

But since nearly all MPs will close ranks - especially the Tories - you have zero chance of that law getting through.
    Missing the point - I was saying that current behaviour of MPs within the parties is far more relevant that that which happened years or decades ago - as in the examples quoted by Brakeless in his little rant.

Not missing the point at all. There is a precedent for this sort of thing. That's how parliament and the law works. Yes, the behaviour of some MPs has been appalling but since there is no statutory way of forcing an MP to step down involuntary unless they are imprisoned for more than a year (Representation of People's Act 1981)

Laws can only be changed by parliament. So as I said. If they close ranks to cover their own arses then it's not getting through. Not now not ever.
    No, you are missing my point. You made a different point...

Your point makes little sense. 'No time like the present'. What exactly is that meant to mean? In what context? As I've mentioned. Things will not change unless someone changes them. The current poor behaviour of MPs isn't a modern times thing. It happens quite regularly. It will no doubt happen again.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

But anyway, there's no time like the present, so which other MP's are in currently in prison?

How is that relevant?

Why don't you start a petition. Get enough signatures and get it debated in parliament. Or get your local MP to table a private members bill in getting the law changed.

But since nearly all MPs will close ranks - especially the Tories - you have zero chance of that law getting through.
    Missing the point - I was saying that current behaviour of MPs within the parties is far more relevant that that which happened years or decades ago - as in the examples quoted by Brakeless in his little rant.

Not missing the point at all. There is a precedent for this sort of thing. That's how parliament and the law works. Yes, the behaviour of some MPs has been appalling but since there is no statutory way of forcing an MP to step down involuntary unless they are imprisoned for more than a year (Representation of People's Act 1981)

Laws can only be changed by parliament. So as I said. If they close ranks to cover their own arses then it's not getting through. Not now not ever.

Your point makes little sense. 'No time like the present'. What exactly is that meant to mean? In what context? As I've mentioned. Things will not change unless someone changes them. The current poor behaviour of MPs isn't a modern times thing. It happens quite regularly. It will no doubt happen again.
    I explained it further in a subsequent post - here it is in case you can't spot it second time around: "I was saying that current behaviour of MPs within the parties is far more relevant that that which happened years or decades ago".

Pretty clear really.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Last mp to be kicked out was a tory in iirc 1990s. The one before that was Labour a decade or more before that iirc. MPs do wrong, law applies and jail happens (or fines).

Anyone know if the independent mp who's appealing her sentence will get out while that's going ahead? If that happens then she could be working on Westminster while the appeal proceeds. Or not I'm no expert.

Whether she's scum or not doesn't matter. The law does matter, as does the processes of law.
  • So how has the tory mp behaviour been of late for you? Are you happy with how they've been performing for the good of the nation? I know there's no known criminality but that's not the only measure of mp performance is it?

Which tory mp can you point to as being a good role model for future MPs? I can't think of any politician n right now that's a good role model right now from any political side.
  • Stevo_666
    So how has the tory mp behaviour been of late for you? Are you happy with how they've been performing for the good of the nation? I know there's no known criminality but that's not the only measure of mp performance is it?

Which tory mp can you point to as being a good role model for future MPs? I can't think of any politician n right now that's a good role model right now from any political side.
    Going a bit off topic there. But good try.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

How is that relevant?

I explained it further in a subsequent post - here it is in case you can't spot it second time around: "I was saying that current behaviour of MPs within the parties is far more relevant that that which happened years or decades ago".

Pretty clear really.

Thats just total bollox. Only cos of Brexit and the fact they are as divided as the nation as a whole? The current political climate has sod all to do with any of this. Add the fact that this incident took place 18 months ago. It's not really relevant to what's happening NOW!!
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    So how has the tory mp behaviour been of late for you? Are you happy with how they've been performing for the good of the nation? I know there's no known criminality but that's not the only measure of mp performance is it?

Nice avoidance of question. But good try.

Care to give an answer?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Care to give an answer?
    Nope, not relevant to the thread.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    interesting to see that they're considering the 3 months jail to be too lenient.... as her brother got 10 months and he admitted it - I think that should push her over 12 ...

can't quite work out how her brother got 10 months and he wasn't even driving - but admitted the charge against him - yet she, solicitor and MP - therefore you'd expect her to be honest and trustworthy - gets less than a 3rd of his ... and denies the charges ...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:
    interesting to see that they're considering the 3 months jail to be too lenient.... as her brother got 10 months and he admitted it - I think that should push her over 12 ...

can't quite work out how her brother got 10 months and he wasn't even driving - but admitted the charge against him - yet she, solicitor and MP - therefore you'd expect her to be honest and trustworthy - gets less than a 3rd of his ... and denies the charges ...

It appears to be morally and legally less acceptable to lie about something you didn't do rather than something you actually did do. In case it sounds vaguely acceptable for some reason, consider how it would look if applied to a murder case.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Care to give an answer?
    Nope, not relevant to the thread.
    Since when did that ever matter? Why not give us your opinions on tory actions of late? Are you one of the three wise monkeys? I do not mean offence by that only I wonder if you ever see or hear anything that the tory party has done wrong. You certainly don't seem to speak anything negative about the party and MPs.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Slowbike wrote:

Definitely sounds too light for me. You would expect a solicitor and MP to be a pillar of the society.

You'd not trust her in either worlds now would you ?
  • cougie wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Definitely sounds too light for me. You would expect a solicitor and MP to be a pillar of the society.

are MPs really seen or expected to be a pillar of society. I would expect them to be the slightly dopey beneficiary of nepotism or a slipper so and so on the take. Or a loaded thicky who needs to look like he has a purpose in life.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,683
    cougie wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

are MPs really seen or expected to be a pillar of society. I would expect them to be the slightly dopey beneficiary of nepotism or a slipper so and so on the take. Or a loaded thicky who needs to look like he has a purpose in life.

As posted up thread, they are 4 times more likely to end up with a conviction than the population as a whole. To think that your ideas are good enough to get you elected requires a fair amount of arrogance and looking at the things MPs have been convicted for, excessive arrogance would seem to play a role.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    "the startling statistic that in 2011, while 0.13 per cent of the general population was in jail, a shocking 0.61 per cent of House of Commons members were in prison."
    That's "only" 4 ?

She has appealed because she can't be removed while the appeal is in progress and if the appeal takes longer than the time she is in prison, she then can't be removed as an MP because she is no longer serving a prison sentence.
  • Statistics are great. So the rate of imprisonment is greater among MPs. But it's still so low that who really cares. If you add in the number of people who break some law but don't get caught, say speeding, then you're probably including almost all the driving public in those figures for criminality.

At the end of the day I just want an MP that can do the job. Whether they're at HM's pleasure or on a reality TV programme or working for some organization, it doesn't much matter they're still not working as a constituency representative. I wonder whether a ministerial job might also prevent effective constituency work. Should there be representatives of constituencies and ministerial / shadow portfolio MPs as a separate person?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    At the end of the day I just want an MP that can do the job. Whether they're at HM's pleasure or on a reality TV programme or working for some organization, it doesn't much matter they're still not working as a constituency representative.
    Ms Onasanya is currently sitting as an independent MP as the Labour Party expelled her following her conviction last month.

She has failed to vote on a number of crucial votes since the Christmas recess ended, apart from on Tuesday where she voted against the EU Withdrawal Bill.
    I wonder how many other MPs have failed to vote?

She's still claiming not to be the driver caught speeding whilst on the phone (no idea where the "on the phone" entered - didn't think speed cameras caught that) - and claiming that she didn't know who was driving.

I think her prison sentence was for perverting the course of justice though - not for speeding whilst on the phone - which, for me, tells you the sort of person she is.

All you need to do is google "Speeding don't know the driver" and it returns the AA advice page: https://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/re ... r-car.html which will tell you that ultimately, the registered keeper is responsible.
    Being an MP is a responsible job - I'd expect any MP to shoulder responsibility - that she hasn't speaks volumes about her character.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    What chances she asked Ali G style "Is it coz I is black?"
  • Stevo_666
    @ Orraloon - already predicted early on in the thread, although on her behalf:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    No doubt Diane Abbott will be popping up, saying she only got sent down because she is black and a woman.
  • orraloon
    Yebbut, nobbut, yebbut different accents, innit. :D
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,683
    orraloon wrote:
    FFS, the whole point of the Ali G character was that he wasn't actually black. That was the joke. :roll:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    rjsterry wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    FFS, the whole point of the Ali G character was that he wasn't actually black. That was the joke. :roll:
    Whoosh
  • Slowbike wrote:
    At the end of the day I just want an MP that can do the job. Whether they're at HM's pleasure or on a reality TV programme or working for some organization, it doesn't much matter they're still not working as a constituency representative.
    Ms Onasanya is currently sitting as an independent MP as the Labour Party expelled her following her conviction last month.

She has failed to vote on a number of crucial votes since the Christmas recess ended, apart from on Tuesday where she voted against the EU Withdrawal Bill.

She's still claiming not to be the driver caught speeding whilst on the phone (no idea where the "on the phone" entered - didn't think speed cameras caught that) - and claiming that she didn't know who was driving.

I think her prison sentence was for perverting the course of justice though - not for speeding whilst on the phone - which, for me, tells you the sort of person she is.

All you need to do is google "Speeding don't know the driver" and it returns the AA advice page: https://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/re ... r-car.html which will tell you that ultimately, the registered keeper is responsible.
    Being an MP is a responsible job - I'd expect any MP to shoulder responsibility - that she hasn't speaks volumes about her character.

She is also a solicitor so knows exactly what she is doing.

It's no wonder that with a mother like her, that her son is a drug dealer. An apple does not fall far from the tree!
  • orraloon
    Won't happen in the brave new post Brexit world, eh Botster?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,572
    Slowbike wrote:

There's a new camera that can pick up things such as phone use and whether seat belts are being used but even before that the camera would have recorded an image that would likely be sufficient to see a phone being used.
  • I thought I would respect the thread title and look at other things that only an MP could get away with.

I suspect a single mother who gouged £50m of public funds would face jail so why not this fella
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47228698
  • orraloon
    Ross Thomson, MP Aberdeen South. Groping individuals in HoC bar while pi55ed, multiple witnesses but that's ok seemingly as the standards commissioner cannot accept complaints from a 3rd party. Just look away people, nothing to see here.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/grop ... -m293z0bms