Running on rest days

ju5t1n
ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
edited February 2019 in Training, fitness and health
I go running on my rest days. 10K usually. Is that a bad idea? I can't find anything on the web about it

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Doesn't sound like much of a 'rest'....
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    So you are essentially doing triathlon/duathlon training :lol:

I do this too in the winter (in the summer I just do more cycling). It's a different impact on your muscles and it will affect your recovery, so if you are focussed on cycling it probably won't be that helpful. But it helps me keep my weight down and also keeps me sane(r) in the winter when I am doing more turbo training.

I use the relative effort thing in Strava to keep an eye on fatigue from both together but generally I just do the cycling training plan (TrainerRoad) as normal.
  • bobmcstuff
    And yes, as Imposter says, it isn't much of a rest day. You probably need a proper rest day as well (I know I do).
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    depends on goals, but it'll very likely be detrimental to your cycling ability.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Depends on how hard you're running. When undertaking a full on running training programme such as for a marathon they will usually be 6 days out of 7 but a lot of those are easy paced runs to recover so arguably if you are running at an easy pace it could be active recovery albeit recovery runs on those programmes tend to be about 3 or 4 miles. If, however, you are running hard then it's not going to help you recover.
  • Pross
    joey54321 wrote:
    depends on goals, but it'll very likely be detrimental to your cycling ability.

I don't see why as long as it isn't replacing specific cycling training and you are not running hard.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Depends on your targets I suppose. I was a runner before I became a cyclist and still prefer running now. I cycle on my rest days from running. My target is not to get better at cycling per se, that's more of a side effect. I want to do exercise for enjoyment and to not be a fat bastard. If your not trying to be the best cyclist you can be, but want to be a bit more rounded then keep going.
  • Specificity is king.

Anecdotally, I'm a faster cyclist when I train purely cycling compared to when I was a triathlete. Similarly, a friend who is a serious runner got faster when he dropped cycling completely from his training.

I don't think a bit of cross-training hurts when it's winter though. Sometimes it's too grim outside for long rides and you can get fed up of the turbo. Here, a quick 5K or 10K can provide some quality cardio and variety.
  • Pross
    Specificity is king.

Anecdotally, I'm a faster cyclist when I train purely cycling compared to when I was a triathlete. Similarly, a friend who is a serious runner got faster when he dropped cycling completely from his training.

I don't think a bit of cross-training hurts when it's winter though. Sometimes it's too grim outside for long rides and you can get fed up of the turbo. Here, a quick 5K or 10K can provide some quality cardio and variety.

Whilst I agree with the bit in bold the OP is talking about running on days where he wouldn't otherwise be cycling so it doesn't really come into play.
  • ju5t1n
    Yes, as Pross says, I'd be doing nothing otherwise. I understand specificity, but I'm doing 6 days a week on the bike.
  • Dont forget the added benefits of a different discipline - stronger alternative muscle groups not engaged when cycling will strengthen your body as a whole thus reducing risk of injury on the bike
  • ju5t1n
    I also read something about running improving bone density somewhere
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There's no right answer. It depends how used you are to running - how hard you're running and how hard you are cycling.
  • I'd be inclined to say you need to actually rest on a rest day but I'm guilty of cross-training on days I'm not cycling as well. :twisted:

Recently, I've tended to do strength/core workouts on rest days rather than running.

I'd agree with cougie, there isn't a right answer but you should experiment and see what your body tells you.
  • bobmcstuff
    ju5t1n wrote:
    I also read something about running improving bone density somewhere
    Yes, weight bearing/impact exercise is good for this. Something pure cyclists don't get a lot of.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Dont forget the added benefits of a different discipline - stronger alternative muscle groups not engaged when cycling will strengthen your body as a whole thus reducing risk of injury on the bike

Not sure how strengthening muscles not used for cycling will help prevent cycling-related injuries...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Imposter wrote:
    Dont forget the added benefits of a different discipline - stronger alternative muscle groups not engaged when cycling will strengthen your body as a whole thus reducing risk of injury on the bike

Not sure how strengthening muscles not used for cycling will help prevent cycling-related injuries...

this plus running is pretty good at smashing your ankles, knees and hips to bits therefore leading to pain, injuries and much chagrin....

cyclists cycle
    runnerists run
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Imposter wrote:

maybe he means if you fall off or crash
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

maybe he means if you fall off or crash

what if you land on your face? having big legs won't help you there.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    You don't say how long it takes you to do this 10k on your "rest day". If it takes you over an hour i'd say that would represent not much of an effort and may very well not hinder your cycling. If, however, you're sub 50 mins then i'd say you're doing more damage than good. I run 10k in about 52 mins and I don't think i'd be smashing any records on my bike if I went on it the day after.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    bonk king wrote:
    You don't say how long it takes you to do this 10k on your "rest day". If it takes you over an hour i'd say that would represent not much of an effort and may very well not hinder your cycling. If, however, you're sub 50 mins then i'd say you're doing more damage than good. I run 10k in about 52 mins and I don't think i'd be smashing any records on my bike if I went on it the day after.
    Isn’t running 8 minute miles a recovery run.
  • Matthewfalle
    Webboo wrote:
    bonk king wrote:

depends what you are recovering from.

as most people on here are clubbies and Cat 3/4 at the very best, I'd say that the term "recovery run/ ride" doesn't really apply.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bobmcstuff
    Webboo wrote:
    bonk king wrote:
    Depends how fit you are
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Yes, as Pross says, I'd be doing nothing otherwise. I understand specificity, but I'm doing 6 days a week on the bike.

I would have though that having one day off would be a good idea. But it probably depends on how hard your six days a week on the bike are as well.
  • Pross
    Webboo wrote:
    bonk king wrote:

Depends on your running ability. For me a recovery or easy run is around 9.30 - 10.00 min / mile. My 10k race pace is around 7.30 - 7.45. On the other hand my mate does 20 mile easy runs at 6.45 pace and does his warm down after a half at around 7 minutes per mile. He wouldn't even notice a 10k run at 8 min / mile.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    As a recreational cyclist and competitive runner, I have no ill effects from doing both activities. In fact, I reckon running will be beneficial to the OP as he gets older. A weight-bearing exercise like running has been shown to improve bone density in older cyclists compared with those who don't run and thereby it reduces the risk of you developing osteoporosis. And running is obviously very good for improving cardiovascular fitness. I'm always pleasantly surprised at how many of my fellow race runners are also keen cyclists.

I'm 66 in a couple of weeks and I do find rest days are increasingly important as I get older, along with recovery periods after a race.
  • joey54321
    Mercia Man wrote:
    As a recreational cyclist and competitive runner, I have no ill effects from doing both activities. In fact, I reckon running will be beneficial to the OP as he gets older. A weight-bearing exercise like running has been shown to improve bone density in older cyclists compared with those who don't run and thereby it reduces the risk of you developing osteoporosis. And running is obviously very good for improving cardiovascular fitness. I'm always pleasantly surprised at how many of my fellow race runners are also keen cyclists.

I'm 66 in a couple of weeks and I do find rest days are increasingly important as I get older, along with recovery periods after a race.

Bone density is an issue but I'd argue a better, more cycling specific, way to improve that is heavy weight training where you can get bone density benefits but also target muscles specifically used in cycling.

I think it's been shown but certainly, lots and lots of anecdotes (mine and others) to say that cycling is much better for runners than runners is for cyclists.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    joey54321 wrote:
    Mercia Man wrote:

Bone density is an issue but I'd argue a better, more cycling specific, way to improve that is heavy weight training where you can get bone density benefits but also target muscles specifically used in cycling.

I think it's been shown but certainly, lots and lots of anecdotes (mine and others) to say that cycling is much better for runners than runners is for cyclists.

Here's an article singing the praises of running for cyclists which I found interesting. My aim is not to be a top pro rider and to train specifically for one sport but simply to remain active and to continue enjoying myself as I get older. Combining cycling, running and walking up the south Shropshire hills with my dog suits me as a way of retaining overall fitness. And I can't say that doing one activity harms my ability to do another. But as I said before, rest and recovery are vital for me.

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/should-cyclists-run
  • If I ran 10km on my rest days I'd be too shattered to ride hard the next day.
  • bobmcstuff
    If I ran 10km on my rest days I'd be too shattered to ride hard the next day.
    Depends how used to running you are though doesn't it. I did 9km of intervals Wednesday and managed a 1hr TrainerRoad workout with 45 mins at 85-95% FTP yesterday with no problems. I found even though my legs were a bit stiff I felt fine as soon as I got on the bike. And that was after a similar TR workout on Tuesday.

The other thing is there's a big difference between 10km flat out and a 10km light jog.

I'm also doing a 90 minute turbo followed by a 10k run most Sundays and that's been fine too.

But if I went for a 10km run after a few months of no running (basically me every October) I wouldn't be able to walk the next day.

Depends what your goals are. My reasons for running over the winter are to keep my weight down and to do some more outdoor workouts (when it's dark and icy). Also it's nice to do something different. I'll probably cut back on the running once the clocks change again - I prefer not to stop entirely though because running is easy to fit in during work trips and stuff, and if I'm too out of practice I cripple myself.
  • joey54321
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    If I ran 10km on my rest days I'd be too shattered to ride hard the next day.
    Depends how used to running you are though doesn't it. I did 9km of intervals Wednesday and managed a 1hr TrainerRoad workout with 45 mins at 85-95% FTP yesterday with no problems. I found even though my legs were a bit stiff I felt fine as soon as I got on the bike. And that was after a similar TR workout on Tuesday.

The other thing is there's a big difference between 10km flat out and a 10km light jog.

I'm also doing a 90 minute turbo followed by a 10k run most Sundays and that's been fine too.

But if I went for a 10km run after a few months of no running (basically me every October) I wouldn't be able to walk the next day.

Depends what your goals are. My reasons for running over the winter are to keep my weight down and to do some more outdoor workouts (when it's dark and icy). Also it's nice to do something different. I'll probably cut back on the running once the clocks change again - I prefer not to stop entirely though because running is easy to fit in during work trips and stuff, and if I'm too out of practice I cripple myself.

This bit is key, for the OP and anyone else reading. If you spend the time running either on the bike or recovering, you'd likely be a better cyclist, but likely less "well-rounded" as a healthy person.