Does it bother you that we are mostly hated?

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited February 2019 in Road general
Out of a group of about 60 lads at work I am the only one to cycle and don't I just know about it. Everyone rants and raves about cyclists on the road and when ever I speak to anyone about road riding it's very rare to find someone who doesn't give you that slightly annoying look of 'its people like you j get stuck behind'.

Does it actually bother any of us? Do we just have to be selfish and ride safe and not care about what other people think? Should we worry that most of us wear lycra and most people following in a car are making fun or getting annoyed? Do we just ignore it and as long as we are having a good time?

I do t really care but i do plan routes that won't take me into certain roads that i know traffic will struggle to get around me and then end up with 20 cars trying to stay around me. I would have to pull over then.

How you all feel about this. Being new to road riding I'm genuinely interested?

Comments

• I couldn’t care less.
  • I'm Welsh and a cyclist living in England, you think you got problems, you wanna here the "banter" I take on a daily basis before I have even got on the bike!!!
  • Sometimes I do. Especially when I experience unpleasant encounter with uninformed drivers. They are clearly not familiar with what is allowed whist cycling on road but their skewed opinion is socially "normalised" by fellow like-minded, ignorant individuals.

Idiots will always be idiots and refuse to accept that there are other people in this world or don't have the intellectual to learn from others.

So, I swiftly move on. And hope for the days when cyclists get equal respect from other road users.

I sometimes wonder; is this how women in the 60s and 70s felt, being treated as "second-class citizen"? Gay, transgender, etc of modern society?
  • If anyone has a go at me about being held up by a cyclist, I always ask them what makes you so special that slower road users have to get out of the way, rather than you as a driver waiting a couple of minutes to pass safely. I like to drive fast in my car and get frustrated by slower drivers, so does that mean all slower drivers should get out of my way so I can drive as fast as I want - of course not.

It’s easy to get into a defensive mindset as a cyclist and think that most motorists hate us, but it probably the case that most motorists don’t even give us a second thought once they’ve passed us on the road.

As to worrying about wearing Lycra I don’t give a toss what drivers think. Particularly as most of them don’t have the fitness to do a fraction of the mileage or speed that most keen cyclists do.
  • Oh, I forgot about vegans. Do vegans feel like this?

...The argument to cyclists holding up traffic.

I often think about M25: Absolutely no cyclist is allowed on M25, or any motorway for that matter. And how come there are constant traffic congestion, jams, queues, accidents?

And how come we don’t hear on traffic news: “road to so and so is congested due to a cyclist”

Yes, you drivers, not cyclists, you are the cause of traffic congestions. Not cyclitsts. Cars cause congestion.

Drivers don’t like to hear it because it’s true.

hqdefault.jpg
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    @OP, forget the gimps at work, they’ll be six feet under by the time they reach 60. Cyclists have as much right to use the highways as the next toad user, sure we need to be considerate and thoughtful to other road users and pedestrians but seriously where is everyone going that requires an unimpeded right to get from A to B?

It’s interesting to see as you grow older who looks after themselves or gives up.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I do wonder if this is something that varies a lot depending on what part of the country you are in and what sort of work you do. TBH I don't have too many problems - every now and again you meet complete tossers either on the road or off it but the vast majority of people seem to be pretty reasonable. There's an attitude of slight bemusement and incomprehension from many, but hatred? Only from the odd taxi driver or white van man, a few times a year perhaps.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Yes and no because we've all heard about close passes where the cyclist was being taught a lesson for daring to ride further away from the kerb than the driver deemed acceptable.

I can have some sympathy with drivers. Some sportives are basically slow moving roadblocks at peak times with hundreds of riders wobbling around and I can imagine getting frustrated with that. Apart from that it really shouldn't cause an issue - most groups or riders are <12 and should be easy to navigate around safely.

On the other side of it the reaction to cyclists is ridiculous. On facebook there was a picture of cyclist on the road to the side of of a newly-built cycle lane. Droves of people wanted to rant and rave about it what a waste of money, typical cyclist and so on. But the cycle lane was unfinished, she may have wanted to turn right, etc. A picture of a car illegally parked in that cycle lane (which of course happens all the time) would not garner the same reaction.

But I feel in this country you're only allowed to like certain things like watching TV, football and going to the pub. Almost everything outside of that is a niche and there to be poked fun at.
  • pastryboy
    Oh, I forgot about vegans. Do vegans feel like this?

It's very similar. Someone decides to be vegan because they like animals and think it's better for the environment. They quietly get on with their life.

They'll hear constant "I hate vegans" comments. They'll get bashed for being a 'militant' told they're weak/lacking nutrients, have to put up with people constantly saying "How do you know if someone's vegan? 'joke'. They'll get people trying to poke holes in what they believe in, stupid comments about protein, stupid comments about why eat things in the shape of a sausage if you hate meat, get sent pictures of steaks online, etc.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    In many ways we don't help ourselves. You have that twat who went up the inside of a horse in the Windsor triathlon, and a load of close passes on the outside in the same footage. Gave the media real fodder to hate us. Recently I was driving near Stepney and where the pavement/cycle lane merges with the road, I saw a cyclist (Castelli kitted) not even looking over his shoulder before crossing the line. I beeped to make him aware there were vehicles (me and a motorcyclist) and he just pulled out giving the finger and swearing. Caught him at the lights (was surprised he stopped at red in fairness), explained I was trying to warn him of other vehicles, and swiftly got a "f**k you c**t". It was only when this big beefy motorcyclist put his bike on the stand to take him to task for his arrogance did he cycle off at bolt neck speed. Unless we shame our own whose behaviour is poor, we cant expect respect from others. It also doesn't fairly represent other cyclist who behave well.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    I don't know about the disruption and congestion caused by big sportive events but I do think for general riding in the south east at least it is getting better.

There are more and more cyclists, drivers are more used to them and getting better at getting past safely. There is less of the "oh my god it's a cyclist what do I do" reaction from drivers. Cyclists seem to be improving too, better discipline from the club groups at weekends.

Just my perceptions and yes, there are idiots out there, but I think things are going the right way
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Cyclists over here (Switzerland) are generally loved, well, happily tolerated. There are so many people on bikes that in most cities car drivers are the minority. In fact when I’m out riding, I find myself complaining about too many cyclists in some places as they’re often going slower than I’d like. Just a completely different attitude. I've had drivers stop to offer assistance when I've had a puncture, I doubt you’d get that in South London. Although everyone complains about cyclists without lights at night, but that's fair enough, and their genes will eventually get purged from the pool.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    pastryboy wrote:

It's very similar. Someone decides to be vegan because they like animals and think it's better for the environment. They quietly get on with their life.
    Oh, if only....
  • pastryboy
    paulwood wrote:
    There are more and more cyclists, drivers are more used to them

10 minutes after my last post, I stepped out of my front door to walk the kids to school and we saw a cyclist hit by a car. The car had gone straight over a give way line.

Fortunately it was minor and the cyclist was content to ride off after some angry words were directed at the driver. Visibility was perfect, cyclist had a hi-vis jacket and was doing <10mph.

Anecdotally I feel I get fewer close passes nowadays but there is still a big issue of people just not looking properly. Don't get complacent.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited January 2019
    A lot of people turn into massive cvnts the minute they get inside a car and will say and do things that they wouldn't dream of doing face to face. They are protected by their little tin bubble and this protection lets the worst aspects of their personality to come to the fore and allows them to display language and behaviours that they normal suppress in other circumstances for fear of getting punched repeatedly in the face. The same is true of those inadequates who use their anonymity on the internet to act like bell ends. Take our resident troll. If he spoke in person as he does when he posts on here then he'd quickly become familiar with the inside of his local A and E department. It does annoy me that some people have an irrational hatred of cyclists but you just have to accept as part of life. All we can do is be considerate of other road users and try not to act like @rses ourselves.
  • pastryboy
    bompington wrote:
    pastryboy wrote:

Oh, if only....

You've proved the point of the thread with that comment.

You appear to be judging a group based on the actions of a vocal minority.

Saying vegans are angry militants is no different to saying all cyclists ride are lycra louts flouting the rules and putting pedestrians at risk.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    It does bother me because cycling as a form of transport can cure so many of society's current problems, health, congestions, depression, obesity, environmental issues, poor condition of the roads, etc...

I don't care if people laugh if I am wearing lycra, I don't really mind any overheard comments about cyclists, what does bother me is that attitude will be putting other people off. It's lead to the idea you need to be suicidal in order to consider cycling as an option.
  • I doesn't bother me, but I feel sad that other's can't accept an individual's choices in life and be more tolerant and patient.

I try to be a thoughtful cyclist - if I know I'm holding up traffic on a narrow country road then I will pull into a junction or lay by or wave the vehicle past when it's safe in the hope that a driver sees it as the action of a responsible cyclist...that they're not all the same. Almost without fail this is greeted with a wave and/or toot of thanks. The same goes for a little wave if a car has waited patiently behind until it's safe. That smile and nod goes a long way in cycle/car relations.

But by the same token if I can see an approaching obstacle - say a parked car or and island - then I will take a very aggressive position to defend myself and not give a driver the option of trying to squeeze past where I deem the risk as being unsafe or dangerous to myself.

It is difficult for car drivers to distinguish between cyclists, and people on bikes. We understand the difference, but sadly the press and the majority of society don't.

More tolerance is needed from everyone concerned, as has been pointed out above we need to hold ourselves responsible as a group tackling the actions of the worst amongst us as much as educate others that we're not the bad guys that some would make us out to be.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Bongofish wrote:
    Do we just have to be selfish and ride safe and not care about what other people think?

Yes.
  • Bumo_b wrote:
    In many ways we don't help ourselves. You have that fool who went up the inside of a horse in the Windsor triathlon, and a load of close passes on the outside in the same footage. Gave the media real fodder to hate us. Recently I was driving near Stepney and where the pavement/cycle lane merges with the road, I saw a cyclist (Castelli kitted) not even looking over his shoulder before crossing the line. I beeped to make him aware there were vehicles (me and a motorcyclist) and he just pulled out giving the finger and swearing. Caught him at the lights (was surprised he stopped at red in fairness), explained I was trying to warn him of other vehicles, and swiftly got a "f**k you c**t". It was only when this big beefy motorcyclist put his bike on the stand to take him to task for his arrogance did he cycle off at bolt neck speed. Unless we shame our own whose behaviour is poor, we cant expect respect from others. It also doesn't fairly represent other cyclist who behave well.

Sorry, but I really disagree with this collective responsibility nonsense. If you saw a car go through on red whilst you were driving would you chase them down and have a word about how they're giving motorists a bad name? Of course you wouldn't because it's bonkers.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    pastryboy wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    pastryboy wrote:

Oh, if only....

You've proved the point of the thread with that comment.

You appear to be judging a group based on the actions of a vocal minority.

Saying vegans are angry militants is no different to saying all cyclists ride are lycra louts flouting the rules and putting pedestrians at risk.
    Sorry, must have forgotten to telegraph that with a big winky emoji for the benefit of vegans, or anyone else suffering from an under-developed sense of humour ;-)
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Seriously, if someone is stupid enough to dislike a whole group of people with no basis then surely that tells you all you need to know about how seriously to take that opinion or them??

Rinse and repeat that for any number of scenarios
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Doesn't really bother me other than those who think they have more right to be on the road than anyone who isn't driving an Audi or Golf. Some of us do make a rod for our own backs by trying to act holier than though as the environmentally righteous. Bearing in mind I am a cyclist but I drive a big 4x4 as my transport, I was in a line of traffic that overtook a woman on her hybrid giving her plenty of room. Enough that I as a cyclist would be very happy with. She took it on herself to pull up alongside me at the lights and give me a mouthful about pollution and how I shouldn't be on the road. Pleb.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Bongofish wrote:
    Out of a group of about 60 lads at work I am the only one to cycle and don't I just know about it. Everyone rants and raves about cyclists on the road and when ever I speak to anyone about road riding it's very rare to find someone who doesn't give you that slightly annoying look of 'its people like you j get stuck behind'.

Does it actually bother any of us? Do we just have to be selfish and ride safe and not care about what other people think? Should we worry that most of us wear lycra and most people following in a car are making fun or getting annoyed? Do we just ignore it and as long as we are having a good time?

I do t really care but i do plan routes that won't take me into certain roads that i know traffic will struggle to get around me and then end up with 20 cars trying to stay around me. I would have to pull over then.

How you all feel about this. Being new to road riding I'm genuinely interested?

Motorists don't just hate cyclists though - they hate each other, road works, the dustbin lorry, pedestrians, horse riders, -

Basically that have seen an ad on TV with a great looking car going down the road on its own - it looks fun, it looks fantastic, well worth £25k - Sadly with repayments up to the hilt, sitting in traffic frustrated "where is the fun I was promised? " - then a cyclists whizzes past , and to make it worse he actually looks like he might be enjoying himself !!

No wonder thay get angry, theve been had !
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    If you "hate" cyclists, just for being cyclists, you're deranged.

If you're frustrated at being held up for a few minutes (and even that would be rare) by a cyclist, and vent that frustration with a punishment pass or similar, you aren't mentally fit to drive and should have your licence taken away.

If you are genuinely in a hurry, the government will give you a vehicle with blue flashing lights and sirens. People will get out of your way, so you can get to where you need to be, as quickly as possible. OK, your wife may be giving birth, or some other emergency may have occurred where an ambulance can't get to you quickly, but I'm going to say that this is pretty rare.

You're not in a hurry, you just think you are. If you're late, you should have set out earlier. If you're late because of congestion, it's cars, vans and lorries that are the cause of that congestion.

I haven't met anyone who genuinely hates cyclists (touch wood), just a few loud and frustrated gobshytes, normally ones who earn a living from driving (buses, vans, taxis), which must be frustrating, especially in London, then there's the entitled and angry ones, and for them, I have a camera on the bike, which will improve their behaviour the second that they spot it, or when you tell them that it's there.

So, no, it doesn't bother me. I ride according to the conditions, defensively, quickly when I can, I stop at red lights, even empty ped crossings, I signal, I shoulder check, I acknowledge when a driver does something nice. I can't do anything more than that.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm a cyclist as well as a driver. I take my hat off to everyone round here who commutes by bike. Each cyclist is generally one fewer car on the road, and potentially saving the NHS millions. I always give cyclists plenty of room, and never mind waiting a few moments for a safe overtaking opportunity.

I think riding a bike in traffic should be part and parcel of learning to drive / passing a driving test.
  • hopkinb
    keef66 wrote:
    I'm a cyclist as well as a driver.

Oh yeah, I drive too, fewer miles than I cycle in most years, but I have a car, quite a big one. My wife drives it less than a mile to the gym. :roll: I have tried hiding the keys and everything.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    hopkinb wrote:
    My wife drives it less than a mile to the gym. :roll: I have tried hiding the keys and everything.
    leave it with no fuel in ....
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    no, because life is too short to care.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    Slowbike wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    My wife drives it less than a mile to the gym. :roll: I have tried hiding the keys and everything.
    leave it with no fuel in ....
    I've tried that too. You'd be surprised how far you can drive a car that says it has 0 miles of fuel remaining. I don't think she even notices.