Post Nasal Drip

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
Been of the bike since September with a back injury, Have battled with my GP, the local clinical commissioning group, I finally got the treatment needed to make back better.

But now I have this horrible wanting to clear my throat all the time, which makes my throat terrible sore - not helped by the fact I talk a lot in my job (presenting with a raised voice)

I also feel slightly cold - but no cough sneezing, raised temperature

1.Should I ride this weekend
2.Any tips for cycling with PND.

Comments

• Drink lots of fluid - maybe some sort of lozenge to help your throat recover

Ride slow
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    OP have you tried a nasal rinse?
    I suffer with post nasal drop and the neilmed rinse had definitely helped, particularly at the first signs of a cold.

If you are feeling under the weather don't ride. Let your body focus on fighting the cold/flu.
    If you do have the urge to get out do a low intensity ride and keep it short.

Hope you feel better
  • I think I've had post nasal drip going on for a few months, but it's got a lot worse in recent weeks. Mainly while cycle commuting, I feel the urge to clear my nose a few times especially on the ride in, which is almost always immediately followed by an awful salty taste in the bad of my throat that often makes me dry wretch... It's driving me nuts and I really ought to get a GP appointment booked!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    I had that, coupled with struggling to feel I could get my lungs full, tiredness etc. Turned out to be Silent Reflux, you may want to look it up.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    cld531c wrote:
    I had that, coupled with struggling to feel I could get my lungs full, tiredness etc. Turned out to be Silent Reflux, you may want to look it up.

What did you do about it?

I've had simliar issues to the OP in the past and also the ones you mention. My own research did lead me to silent reflux.
  • cld531c
    pastryboy wrote:
    cld531c wrote:

What did you do about it?

I've had simliar issues to the OP in the past and also the ones you mention. My own research did lead me to silent reflux.

Now on Lansoprazole and Ranitidine and feel tons better. Also...
    Raised bed head with risers
    Try not to eat 2 hours before bed or lying down
    Avoid citrus (including energy bars, gels and drinks), tomatoes, garlic, onions, spices

A big one that affected my cycling was changing the bottle to just water, turns out the energy drinks were affecting the acid, making me drink more and a never ending circle.

Took about 12 months for diagnosis but was worth it. I was feeling crap enough to feel crap, but felt like no one believed me. Hope you get sorted
  • pastryboy
    Thanks - was it constant for you or did it come and go?

I seem to be fine for a week or two then the post nasal drip or scratchy throat comes along out of the blue. Usually feel rough with bad digestion and mucus-y in the throat for a couple of days. Then it either passes or turns into a mild throat infection.

I thought it was maybe my immune system (did a lot of training in the past) or a food sensitivity but I made changes there to no avail- also, now and then I find I burp quite aggressively even if I've just woken up and had only water.

I've had the breathing thing you mention but only a couple of times where it lasted a week or so.
  • cld531c
    Pretty much constant but some times worse than others. I got that used to it that it was when my breathing was pointed out by others I started to take more notice (oh and my tongue turning black prompted the first visit to the docs!!!)
  • pastryboy
    Cheers. Will see what the doc says - it's the last resort as I think I tried changing everyhting else already.
  • cld531c
    good luck