On The Bike Fueling and Digestive Problems

JoshWorsley
JoshWorsley Posts: 3
1. What does everyone use for on the bike fueling/nutrition?

2. Do Clif bars, gels etc. give anyone else digestive/gut problems while riding?

3. Would you be willing to pay for rice cakes (not Quaker rice cakes)/ energy waffles/ snacks made with real ingredients and that don't cause gut problems on the bike?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If I'm not racing I am fine with energy drink and cake stop.
    If I'm racing its energy gels and energy drink and ginger bread or flapjacks in my Bento. No problems for me.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    1 Porridge bars from Aldi are cheap and work for me, as do bags of mixed fruits/nuts.
    2Yep
    3 Not excessively as these are already available
  • Energy drink as in, Nuun or Skratch?

Is the cake homemade?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Fig rolls and jelly babies for me, with just water or squash in the bottles. On rare occasions I've filled a bottle with energy drink during an organised ride and ended up with olympic standard flatulence
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    1. What does everyone use for on the bike fueling/nutrition?

2. Do Clif bars, gels etc. give anyone else digestive/gut problems while riding?

3. Would you be willing to pay for rice cakes (not Quaker rice cakes)/ energy waffles/ snacks made with real ingredients and that don't cause gut problems on the bike?

1) whatever I can find/make/carry
    2) nope, I even quite like them rather than just tolerating them.
    3) not unless they were very cheap. I make my own sweet potato bars and oat for next to nothing and they take 25mins, 24 of which is just them sitting in the oven. If I don't have them a breakfast bar will do. For races I'd nearly always use gels.