friday analysing target spallation vs. delivered energy

2»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    If you want a good video of a car spontaneously combusting look for the one of a Lamborghini Miura SV in London. The video starts just in front of where my desk was, hardly a learner car though.
    Sure it wasn't petrol bombed?

Apparently she's now too busy to go look at cars tomorrow. Saves some money I suppose...

Petrol bombed? Nah. It was one of Vtech's.
    He wouldn’t have had a clue what to do with it, no computers.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fqpa1HB-wOc
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,422
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    The 1litre is used in various guises on fiesta and focus and it is incredibly powerful for a little 3 cylinder engine but various bits have a habit of giving up and it will self combust. See YouTube and also BBC watchdog did a piece on it and its still an ongoing issue. I also noticed with a lot of eldest lads mates both male and female that ended up on black boxes that had the 3cyl engines and not just Ford that they constantly got warnings for perceived harsh acceleration. This was caused by having to rev the 3cyl engines on pulling off, not a trait suffered with a 4cyl engine.
    Thanks for the tip Oxo.

I'll do a bit of research on that and see what model years it affected. If it was that bad they'd have done a massive recall I reckon? We're umming and aahing over the black box thing as everyone who has one seems to get caught out and spanked for extra premiums somehow. Luckily she hasn't taken her test yet and as you'll know, the insurance for learners is dirt cheap compared to when they pass.
    Found some stuff on it - the problem affects the 1.0l Ecoboost produced between Oct 2011 - Oct 2013 so easily avoided. There's a separate problem on the 1.6l which she won't be getting as the insurance will be too high. So the Fiesta is still an option.
    https://www.whatcar.com/news/ford-ecoboost-engine-recall-%E2%80%93-what-you-need-to-know/n17972
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    oxoman wrote:
    Sadly insurance wise there a tad more savvy nowadays, best you can do legally is to put yourself on the insurance. I managed to save the eldest several hundred pounds on his by putting my name down as additional driver. We found that the non black box option was a couple of hundred pounds more with hastings direct premier, we also noticed the more you tried to reduce cover, I.e 3rd party etc the higher the premium.

Son saved a couple of hundred quid on his insurance by adding Mummy as a named driver. Oddly when he tried adding me the premium went back up again, so I'm not insured to drive it! (which feels weird since it's my ex company car...)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,422
    keef66 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    Sadly insurance wise there a tad more savvy nowadays, best you can do legally is to put yourself on the insurance. I managed to save the eldest several hundred pounds on his by putting my name down as additional driver. We found that the non black box option was a couple of hundred pounds more with hastings direct premier, we also noticed the more you tried to reduce cover, I.e 3rd party etc the higher the premium.

Son saved a couple of hundred quid on his insurance by adding Mummy as a named driver. Oddly when he tried adding me the premium went back up again, so I'm not insured to drive it! (which feels weird since it's my ex company car...)
    That would suit me just fine, I have no desire to drive a 1l sh1tbox :) Hopefully I can persuade Mrs. 666 to use it and sell her old tank.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]