edited January 2019 in The bottom bracket
'ning

office, coffee, webexes, lab, early bail i think

looks like nippiness will ease a bit by the afternoon
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Warmer and a little wetter in Shropshire. Hound walked and now off for finger pointing meeting

Later might be a walk to a pub further away
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, milder here in Lincolnshire , dog walked just having some porridge and a cuppa
  • 'g, Mrs DHL and clone DHLs out the door. Espresso while awaiting the sunrise before cycling to work. Need to in early as I have prepared bugger all for my 9am when I am supposed to be breifing on a project.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Mild here, and moist. Perfect for running through some muddy fields I don't think.
    Greggs followed by a meeting followed by chasing my tail I reckon today.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Mild and damp here. Thistle, avoid the "vegan sausage roll" get a real one
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    'g, Mrs DHL and clone DHLs out the door. Espresso while awaiting the sunrise before cycling to work. Need to in early as I have prepared bugger all for my 9am when I am supposed to be breifing on a project.

Wing it. Bullshit baffles brains. Well, that's what SG does with consummate ease - compulsively and Stevo is learning to do.
    VN has struck the balance.

Today, i'll be mowstly chasing my tail. I might even turn into ghee which will then be spread on pancakes.
    I'll try to squeeze some engine tinkering in but that's dependent on Royal Snail.
    There is no end to the amount one can polish Alu but I will need to draw a line somewhere.
    Any piston heads got some handy tips on that front?

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Step83 wrote:
    Mild and damp here. Thistle, avoid the "vegan sausage roll" get a real one
    It should be illegal to use the word 'vegan' in the same sentence as sausage. Or bacon.

Good ride in despite waking up too early for no apparent reason. Bit chilly but not as much as where I'm headed next week - forecast to go down to -9 in the village, never mind up the top. May have to go car hunting with Stropteen tomorrow - welcome to the world of 1l Ford Fiestas with only slightly more oomph than a milk float :roll:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Wing it. Bullshit baffles brains. Well, that's what SG does with consummate ease - compulsively and Stevo is learning to do.
    VN has struck the balance.

Today, i'll be mowstly chasing my tail. I might even turn into ghee which will then be spread on pancakes.
    I'll try to squeeze some engine tinkering in but that's dependent on Royal Snail.
    There is no end to the amount one can polish Alu but I will need to draw a line somewhere.
    Any piston heads got some handy tips on that front?

Laters.
    I'm disappointed you think that my bullshit isn't up to scratch; unfortunately I didn't consume enough magic mushrooms and LSD when I was younger :)

On your other point, I suppose it depends what you're 'polishing' and whether anyone might see you.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman wrote:
    Stevo suggest you possibly look at something with 4 cylinders and doesn't self combust like fiestas. I got a kia picanto for the eldest and he's had a yrs trouble free running and it self combust.
    Does self combustion not count as trouble Oxo? :)

Didn't realise it was only 3 cyl but as one of our cars has 5 I'm not too hung up on odd numbers.
  • thistle_
    Step83 wrote:
    Thistle, avoid the "vegan sausage roll" get a real one
    Very non vegan bacon and sausage butty.
    They've run out of vegan "sausage" rolls anyway, and there's also a great egg custard shortage which may be related (they said they've no idea when they'll be able to get any egg custards in).
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    Stevo suggest you possibly look at something with 4 cylinders and doesn't self combust like fiestas. I got a kia picanto for the eldest and he's had a yrs trouble free running and it self combust.
    Does self combustion not count as trouble Oxo? :)

Didn't realise it was only 3 cyl but as one of our cars has 5 I'm not too hung up on odd numbers.

Had a 3 cyl ecoboost Fiesta as a hire car on hols last yr in Greece. Impressively nippy I thought. No pyrotechnics, but then again no sustained motorway thrashing, just pootling about in the mountains. Front end vibration and pulsing under heavy braking suggested something needed looking at by the time it went back though...
  • keef66
    I have seen the Watchdog programs and the vids of fiestas going up in flames. Looks like separate design flaws with the 1.0 and 1.6 engines, but both with potentially incendiary consequences :shock:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    keef66 wrote:
    I have seen the Watchdog programs and the vids of fiestas going up in flames. Looks like separate design flaws with the 1.0 and 1.6 engines, but both with potentially incendiary consequences :shock:
    So carry meat around for an impromptu bbq?
  • keef66
    TLW1 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    So carry meat around for an impromptu bbq?

By all accounts it happens too fast to get the pinny on and the meat out of the marinade. Otherwise good suggestion.
  • thistle_
    keef66 wrote:
    Had a 3 cyl ecoboost Fiesta as a hire car on hols last yr in Greece. Impressively nippy I thought. No pyrotechnics, but then again no sustained motorway thrashing, just pootling about in the mountains. Front end vibration and pulsing under heavy braking suggested something needed looking at by the time it went back though...
    GF's last car was the 3 cyl 1.0L ecoboost, found it similar - nippy from 0-50, reasonable but not so nippy at higher speeds. No braking issues though.
    I can recommend the 4 cylinder 1.6L ST :) but might be a bit more on the insurance!
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman wrote:
    The 1litre is used in various guises on fiesta and focus and it is incredibly powerful for a little 3 cylinder engine but various bits have a habit of giving up and it will self combust. See YouTube and also BBC watchdog did a piece on it and its still an ongoing issue. I also noticed with a lot of eldest lads mates both male and female that ended up on black boxes that had the 3cyl engines and not just Ford that they constantly got warnings for perceived harsh acceleration. This was caused by having to rev the 3cyl engines on pulling off, not a trait suffered with a 4cyl engine.
    Thanks for the tip Oxo.

I'll do a bit of research on that and see what model years it affected. If it was that bad they'd have done a massive recall I reckon? We're umming and aahing over the black box thing as everyone who has one seems to get caught out and spanked for extra premiums somehow. Luckily she hasn't taken her test yet and as you'll know, the insurance for learners is dirt cheap compared to when they pass.
  • Stevo_666
    keef66 wrote:
    GF's last car was the 3 cyl 1.0L ecoboost, found it similar - nippy from 0-50, reasonable but not so nippy at higher speeds. No braking issues though.
    I can recommend the 4 cylinder 1.6L ST :) but might be a bit more on the insurance!
    For a 17 year old it will be easier to get insurance on a hotel in Damascus.
  • Stevo_666
    keef66 wrote:
    Although thinking about it, Mrs. 666 may end up using it as a runabout at some point so the spontaneous combustion thing may be a desirable feature :twisted:
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Volkswagen UP?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Up where?!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Volkswagen UP?
    Good suggestion - ta.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Volkswagen UP?
    Good suggestion - ta.
    Lad’s girlfriend has one. Or rather one was bought for her mum, sister and her. They really like it.
    If you want a good video of a car spontaneously combusting look for the one of a Lamborghini Miura SV in London. The video starts just in front of where my desk was, hardly a learner car though.
    Very busy day at work, doing my own sh!t interspersed with batting off interruptions. Brief pause for a fry up followed by bunking off early to meet the Mrs for a drink. More drinks followed when some friends turned up, a good start to the weekend.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    oxoman wrote:
    The 1litre is used in various guises on fiesta and focus and it is incredibly powerful for a little 3 cylinder engine but various bits have a habit of giving up and it will self combust. See YouTube and also BBC watchdog did a piece on it and its still an ongoing issue. I also noticed with a lot of eldest lads mates both male and female that ended up on black boxes that had the 3cyl engines and not just Ford that they constantly got warnings for perceived harsh acceleration. This was caused by having to rev the 3cyl engines on pulling off, not a trait suffered with a 4cyl engine.

I will make no judgement on your lads mates pulling off abilities but I am available for the females to practise on though.
    My missus has a 1 ltre 3 cylinder jobby and the daughter a 1.6. Both good imo.
    The wife's 1 litre apparently is good for 122mph and 125bhp. Having driven it on a run oop north I have no need to doubt these figures. Amazing from 3 pots and zero tax as well.
    The 1.6 is an easier drive for a learner as it is more torquey.
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    If you want a good video of a car spontaneously combusting look for the one of a Lamborghini Miura SV in London. The video starts just in front of where my desk was, hardly a learner car though.
    Sure it wasn't petrol bombed?

Apparently she's now too busy to go look at cars tomorrow. Saves some money I suppose...
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman wrote:
    Stevo, check allowed driving hours as some don't allow after ten pm or before nine am because it's a higher risk, no good if working to pay there way through college or uni.
    Another reason why we may avoid the dreaded black box.
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    oxoman wrote:

I will make no judgement on your lads mates pulling off abilities but I am available for the females to practise on though.
    My missus has a 1 ltre 3 cylinder jobby and the daughter a 1.6. Both good imo.
    The wife's 1 litre apparently is good for 122mph and 125bhp. Having driven it on a run oop north I have no need to doubt these figures. Amazing from 3 pots and zero tax as well.
    The 1.6 is an easier drive for a learner as it is more torquey.
    I would do if she wasn't going to get crucified on the insurance as soon as she passes. Lower power = better in this case.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    This is from 10 years back but perhaps still works. 17yo daughter, Clio as was cool then, car was 2 years old, reg in her name, insurance done with mother as policyholder but declared daughter as main driver and worked out a lot cheaper. Then after 2 years (I think) switched insurance into her name as policyholder. All open, honest and legit. Worth looking at?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sure it wasn't petrol bombed?

Apparently she's now too busy to go look at cars tomorrow. Saves some money I suppose...

Petrol bombed? Nah. It was one of Vtech's.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    This is from 10 years back but perhaps still works. 17yo daughter, Clio as was cool then, car was 2 years old, reg in her name, insurance done with mother as policyholder but declared daughter as main driver and worked out a lot cheaper. Then after 2 years (I think) switched insurance into her name as policyholder. All open, honest and legit. Worth looking at?
    Thanks Loony - a Clio is a possibility - though I think the insurance companies have got wise and loaded premiums with 17 yo's on the parents policy to make them as mind-numbingly expensive as if they had the policy themselves.

A friend of mine once bumped up his NCB before he got a 205 GTI by buying the logbook of a Morris Minor pickup truck that had been cannibalised for spares and insuring it third party only for a couple of years. Got the insurance on the Pug below a grand which was quite a result at the time :)
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman wrote:
    Sadly insurance wise there a tad more savvy nowadays, best you can do legally is to put yourself on the insurance. I managed to save the eldest several hundred pounds on his by putting my name down as additional driver. We found that the non black box option was a couple of hundred pounds more with hastings direct premier, we also noticed the more you tried to reduce cover, I.e 3rd party etc the higher the premium.
    Thanks Oxo - will check that out.