Bought my first ever road/adventure bike.

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited January 2019 in Road beginners
So I got the boardman ADV 8.8 yesterday at my local Halfords for £550. They added discounts on top of discounts so can’t go wrong!

Anyway on the website it states that large was for my height size (6 foot) but I was surprised to see that on the bike where it says large underneath it , it says 55.5? When I was looking at road bikes it looked like I needed a 58cm bike for my height size from other manufacturers.

Any reason why boardman suggests 55.5 to be the right size for 6 foot? Are there sizing a different? Are adventure bikes different to road bikes in terms of what size you need?

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... 3GEALw_wcB

Cheers

Comments

• bike manufacturers use a wide range of measurements and sizes are misleading. I would say a large would be the size for you, and if you feel comfortable on it that's all that needs to bother you. Enjoy your new bike
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    does it fit though?

if so then don't worry yourself about it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 555mm is the seat tube length for the large, the top tube length is 575mm, nothing to see here. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Bongofish wrote:
    So I got the boardman ADV 8.8 yesterday at my local Halfords for £550. They added discounts on top of discounts so can’t go wrong!

Anyway on the website it states that large was for my height size (6 foot) but I was surprised to see that on the bike where it says large underneath it , it says 55.5? When I was looking at road bikes it looked like I needed a 58cm bike for my height size from other manufacturers.

Any reason why boardman suggests 55.5 to be the right size for 6 foot? Are there sizing a different? Are adventure bikes different to road bikes in terms of what size you need?

Cheers

Bike sizing and fit is fairly complex and depends on several parameters If you get a proper geometry chart there will be a load of figures on it. The two figures that give a good indication of the bike’s relative size and fit are the stack and the reach figures. There are one or two other measurements which are useful as well but stack and reach are usually considered the best baseline figures to use as a comparison as far as relative fit goes.

please ignore this.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Bongofish wrote:

Cheers

Bike sizing and fit is fairly complex and depends on several parameters If you get a proper geometry chart there will be a load of figures on it. The two figures that give a good indication of the bike’s relative size and fit are the stack and the reach figures. There are one or two other measurements which are useful as well but stack and reach are usually considered the best baseline figures to use as a comparison as far as relative fit goes.

please ignore this.

Why would they ignore this, you massive cockroach. Obviously you have no clue about anything, in common with about 4 of your clown boyfriends. You have no experience, you have no knowledge, why don’t you just fcuk off?

Can you lot take your squabble to your own little thread. And Nick, I don’t care about who or what you have signed up as or for but leaving the F and C bomb in all your posts is childish at best. Stop ruining all the threads the lot of you.

Let’s not drag this into the New year!
  • Sorry OP, it isn't normally like this here, I've almost always found posters to be very helpful, bit too much Christmas spirit been consumed by some perhaps
  • Think I’ll try another forum. Thanks for the guys that tried to help but for a simple newbie bike question that was pretty intense for only 9 posts in. Hope it gets better here for you all
  • Bongofish wrote:
    Think I’ll try another forum. Thanks for the guys th

Honest, the majority of the folk on here are spot on, excuse the odd crazy
  • Bongofish wrote:
    Think I’ll try another forum. Thanks for the guys that tried to help but for a simple newbie bike question that was pretty intense for only 9 posts in. Hope it gets better here for you all

Apologies, I realised I never actually answered your question. As some have eluded to different manufacturers quote different lengths. Some quote top tube length others quote seat tube length others do something bizarrely different. Simple answer is what MF said, if it fits you don’t worry.

I would like to say stay around the forum is better but at the moment there is a squabble that is not great for those that come to chat bike stuff and shoot the sh**.

Hope you like your new bike and happy riding.
  • Cheers guys! I’ve come from 5 years of MTB and started racing MTB but needed something that I could put miles on for local riding and fitness. I have to say the riding position feels funny but I’ve only had 1 ride. It’s like my wrists are taking all my weight on the bars and like I’m having to litterally life my head up to look where I’m going which makes it ache after about 30 mins
  • it is a total different position from MTB riding so that would perhaos find position unusal after riding them fo so long
  • I usually ride drops but have a hybrid to commute on, see how you go with position but I found the bars too wide meaning my arms and wrists ached quickly. I eventually cut them down an inch or 2 and got some Ergon grips (actual make). But see how you get on first.
  • I actually feel the drop bars aren’t wide enough. Or it feels like that. Kind of like I’m wobbly with them. But again probably something I just need to get used to :)
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Bongofish wrote:
    I actually feel the drop bars aren’t wide enough. Or it feels like that. Kind of like I’m wobbly with them. But again probably something I just need to get used to :)
    I felt the same when I got my first road bike (after always having MTBs). You will get used to it, don't worry.
    You don't have to ride on the drops all the time either, it's just another position.
  • torino
    torino Posts: 46
    Bongofish wrote:
    Cheers guys! I’ve come from 5 years of MTB and started racing MTB but needed something that I could put miles on for local riding and fitness. I have to say the riding position feels funny but I’ve only had 1 ride. It’s like my wrists are taking all my weight on the bars and like I’m having to litterally life my head up to look where I’m going which makes it ache after about 30 mins

Is the saddle level? If it is only slightly tilted forward then you may feel that most of your weight is being supported by arms and shoulders.

What is the saddle to handlebar drop (y-axis distance from the top of saddle to the top of the handlebar) ? Flipping the stem can be an option to make it more comfortable while you are adapting to the new position.
  • To be fair to the OP I read this forum for some time before posting my first post and my impression is that there are two or three "experts" on here who have no regard for any opinion other than their own.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    When I went from MTB to road bike it did feel overly long (despite it being the right size frame) and very twitchy, only thing I can liken it to with an MTB is when you put your hand next to the stem an try to steer. Usually when your trying to faff with something else.

Unlike MTB bars on road bars you can hold them in all sorts of positions and still brake/change gear which can help get used to them, just experiment and see after a little while the twitchiness will vanish as your brain learns it and youll start swapping your hands round into different positions.
    Just see whats comfy, im 90% on the hoods (shifters) rest is on the flat or drops as its how I feel comfortable.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited December 2018
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Sorry OP, it isn't normally like this here, I've almost always found posters to be very helpful, bit too much Christmas spirit been consumed by some perhaps

Unfortunately, it 'is' normally like this - at least it is at the moment, thanks to the troll currently known as 'yournemesis'. And it won't change until someone finds a way of banning him permanently. He's had eight or nine previous forum user names and has been banned each and every time. The guy clearly has serious personal/behavioural problems and will almost certainly be banned again imminently - if the Bikeradar admin team ever shows up...
  • Imposter wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Sorry OP, it isn't normally like this here, I've almost always found posters to be very helpful, bit too much Christmas spirit been consumed by some perhaps

Unfortunately, it 'is' normally like this, thanks to the troll currently known as 'yournemesis'. And it won't change until someone finds a way of banning him permanently. He's had eight or nine previous forum user names and has been banned each and every time. The guy is clearly unbalanced and will almost certainly be banned again imminently - if the Bikeradar admin team ever show up...

Not defending the bloke or his language but I can see his point. When one of the "experts" reply to a thread with "ignore him this is how it should be done" or the other popular one when one of the "experts" gives their opinion and finished the post with "end of discussion" they are saying that their opinion is the only one that matters.

Until a couple of people on here realise that there are multiple answers to the same question or multiple solutions to some problems all you are doing is fueling his ire and giving him a reason to come back with a reply.

All it will take is a little humility from a couple of posters, why not finish their post with "this is my solution, other people may have had different experiences" instead of "end of" I'm right you are wrong.
  • imposter2.0
    Not defending the bloke or his language but I can see his point. When one of the "experts" reply to a thread with "ignore him this is how it should be done" or the other popular one when one of the "experts" gives their opinion and finished the post with "end of discussion" they are saying that their opinion is the only one that matters.

Nobody has said anything like that on this thread though, so I'm not sure where that comes from.

Usually, the troll's 'advice' just serves to confuse the issue and underline his own sense of arrogant self-entitlement. Rarely does he contribute anything meaningful. He has, in the past, offered advice which has been not only flat-out wrong, but also quite dangerous, should anyone have followed it. There's a reason why he's been banned eight times already.

Lots of people have strong opinions - I am almost certainly one of them. However, most people can usually work through any disagreements without resorting to personal abuse and idiotic/obscene swearing on a public forum.
  • Imposter wrote:

Nobody has said anything like that on this thread though, so I'm not sure where that comes from.

If you look at this sixth post the answer from one of the "experts" is "please ignore this" in relation to another person's opinion this implying that this person's opinion is irrelevant.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

If you look at this sixth post the answer from one of the "experts" is "please ignore this" in relation to another person's opinion this implying that this person's opinion is irrelevant.

'yournemesis' is the troll in question. The sooner everyone ignores him, the better. I'm not usually a fan of such dismissive statements, but it's perfectly justified on this occasion, IMO.
  • Ok....I’m sure you all have your points and the forums has some ‘trollss’ But to get the thread back on point,

I went out on my first proper ride today on it. Well 15 miles at least and totally worked out I was doing it wrong my first try. I thought I had to ride with my hands on the drops all the time. This time I figured out that riding on top of the drop bars was much easier and still had access to brakes and gears and then when going downhill and gaining speed I would go to drops for more Aerodynamic position and then back on top for 90%. My only issues are the brakes they are just not very good. I’m used to hydraulic brakes on all my bikes so this might be doing me no favours. But even if I squeeze these hard it’s hard to make the tyres actually skid. Just a relatively fast slow down but wouldn’t stop you in a emergency. I feel I have bedded them in properly too. Also secondly riding on top of the drop bars I do have access to the brakes but just enough to pull them with like 2 fingers and definitely can’t get any power on pulling the brakes.

Any recommendations for these issues?

Also I absolutely loved my ride today, hills felt so much easier, still tired but not bouncing a bike around, every stroke feels like it propels the bike forward.
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    To be fair to the OP I read this forum for some time before posting my first post and my impression is that there are two or three "experts" on here who have no regard for any opinion other than their own.

Apologies to the OP, but I think this is spot on, and is a great way of saying what I've been considering saying for a while now.

And to the OP, that bike looks great, have fun!
  • imposter2.0
    sam anon wrote:
    To be fair to the OP I read this forum for some time before posting my first post and my impression is that there are two or three "experts" on here who have no regard for any opinion other than their own.

Apologies to the OP, but I think this is spot on, and is a great way of saying what I've been considering saying for a while now.

If it concerns you that much, my suggestion would be: next time you come across an 'expert' expressing their opinion - simply ask them why they hold this opinion, or how they have arrived at it. Far better to challenge it directly than to comment on it from the sidelines. Anyone holding such an opinion should be able to at least explain it.
  • I can’t believe my thread about my new bike and asking questions has turned into this. 30 reply’s a mostly totally off topic and argueing. Really hoped it could have been a place to share my new found road interest...hope you all get this sorted but I won’t be back.

Thanks for the on topic replys
  • imposter2.0
    Bongofish wrote:
    I can’t believe my thread about my new bike and asking questions has turned into this. 30 reply’s a mostly totally off topic and argueing. Really hoped it could have been a place to share my new found road interest...hope you all get this sorted but I won’t be back.

Nitrousoxide answered your question succinctly on page 1 - 4th reply in. Your bike has a sloping top tube, so the seat tube measurement in relation to your height is pretty much irrelevant. Top tube measurement more accurately reflects your size, which is within 5mm of the size you were recommended.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Bongofish wrote:
    I can’t believe my thread about my new bike and asking questions has turned into this. 30 reply’s a mostly totally off topic and argueing. Really hoped it could have been a place to share my new found road interest...hope you all get this sorted but I won’t be back.

Nitrousoxide answered your question succinctly on page 1 - 4th reply in. Your bike has a sloping top tube, so the seat tube measurement in relation to your height is pretty much irrelevant. Top tube measurement more accurately reflects your size, which is within 5mm of the size you were recommended.

And what about my further questions or did you pass them by as you was involved in the off topic conversation
  • I’m sorry but Nitrousoxide wrote:
    555mm is the seat tube length for the large, the top tube length is 575mm, nothing to see here. ;)

Whilst the wink is friendly it’s hardly a succinct answer to a newbie asking for advice unfamiliar with road geometry.

This thread has shown the worst that this site has to offer at the moment and it’s not just due to a single troll it’s an assortment of rude people, cliques and self appointed experts happy to descend into argument far too quickly.

Another 2 pence from me.
  • imposter2.0
    Bongofish wrote:

And what about my further questions or did you pass them by as you was involved in the off topic conversation

Questions about position? Pretty much unanswerable on the strength of what you have said - and without seeing a pic of you on the bike. Although it was pointed out earlier that your position on a road-oriented bike is going to feel significantly different to that of an MTB. Best advice would be to spend a few more weeks riding it and see if/how/when you adapt - or not.