How in the world do you keep your bl00dy leg warmers up?

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited December 2018 in Road general
Merry Christmas All,

It's a simple question, really. Most of the year it's warm enough to ride in shorts where I live, but we are in for a "cold spell" next week. I realise that 11 degrees Celcius isn't exactly freezing by many people's standards, but it's chilly around these parts. It's not cold enough for bib tights or leggings, though.

Having previously lived in colder climes I own a pair of Assos leg warmers. However, when I have used them in the past they have had a tendency to slide down after a few minute's riding. This is obviously annoying. They are relatively new and have been washed correctly, so it's not a case of them losing their initial stretch.

So the question is, how do I keep the bl00dy things up while I ride? Ingenious and effective solutions greatly appreciated.

And a Happy New Year.

Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I don't have leg warmers, but have similar problems with knee support bandages.
    I just use a bit of micropore tape to hold it in place.
  • You place the end of the leg warmers under your shorts. Simple as.
  • pottssteve
    Thanks, for the replies so far.
    Phillip - I do this already but they still slide down.
    thistle - I might try this - time to raid the first aid kit?

Steve
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do they have silicon grippers around the top ? I'd try a different pair. Maybe a smaller size.

Legwarmers should come up pretty high on the leg. The overlap should be a good few inches. Put the legs on First and then the shorts. Do this in private.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    don't tape them on as above - they won't stay in place. the tape will split as your leg moves around.

elastic bands do the job perfectly - hold them in place, move with your leg and muscles.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Nappy pins.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Some combinations of shorts and warmers just don't work very well. Same is true for some jerseys and arm warmers.

Ideally you need quite snug fitting warmers, pulled pretty far up and shorts that are fairly long in the legs, also snug fitting and with decent grippers.
  • Superglue
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pottssteve
    Thanks for the updates, folks.
    I am not forking out for another pair but it's a good idea to try out different pairs of shorts. The warmers themselves don't have silicon grippers but are shaped at the top to cover the buttocks. Maybe the tightest shorts will hold them up.

Might try elastic bands if I can find some that don't cut off the circulation.
    I reckon pins might rip the material.
    I'm sorry, but I don't believe in miracles or superglue...... :)
  • pottssteve
    oxoman wrote:
    Size matters and helps to tuck under bibshorts. Same with knee support bandage. Have also used velro elasticated bands similar to patella support

Ooh, a tight support bandage might do the trick - like a wide elastic band, I guess.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Decathlon leg warmers, cheap and on skinny me they never move.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    They stay up fine if you have the correct size. Too big and they'll slip down. I'm guessing the OP's are too big..
  • pottssteve
    Imposter wrote:
    They stay up fine if you have the correct size. Too big and they'll slip down. I'm guessing the OP's are too big..

Maybe. I guess I could try to work on my thighs a bit!
    We have a Decathlon nearby so I might take a walk down there, thanks.
  • No matter how hard I tried I could never keep my leg / knee warmers up ...different brands...big / small grippers etc until My wife suggested I started shaving my legs . I HAD very hairy legs which stopped the grippers making contact with my skin..I also noted that I no longer suffered from swear rash around the gripper area on warmers and shorts .Been shaving the legs for several years now...In fact can't remember the last time I saw a hair !!

So if you have very hairy legs either shave off the lot or shave a band where the grippers are located and see if it makes a difference to the warmers staying up / not ?

best of luck.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    pottssteve wrote:
    Thanks for the updates, folks.
    I am not forking out for another pair but it's a good idea to try out different pairs of shorts. The warmers themselves don't have silicon grippers but are shaped at the top to cover the buttocks. Maybe the tightest shorts will hold them up.

Might try elastic bands if I can find some that don't cut off the circulation.
    I reckon pins might rip the material.
    I'm sorry, but I don't believe in miracles or superglue...... :)

pins will rip the material and won't hold them up.

totes alts, length of elastic from the haberdasher.

cut to length.

sew.

job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • if they have silicon grippers on them put some moisturiser round the band of your leg where the grippers will be then put on as normal. sounds bizarre but the moisturiser sticks to the gripper and holds them up. Try it, it works
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I've had some Pearl Izumi leg warmers for a few years which only have the gripper on the outside. They stay OK(ish) but could be better. I've recently bought some Castelli Nanoflex 2 warmers and they have the gripper both inside and out and they don't slip at all.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • pottssteve
    edited December 2018
    Checking in again, and more interesting advice!

I don't have enormously hairy legs but it might be worth giving this a go. Trouble is , my OH doesn't like smooth legs so it might just be the "giggle band" that gets a mow.

Sorry, Matthew, not doing any sewing.
    No silicone grippers on mine, I'm afraid....

More good ideas though - thanks. :)
  • buy yourself a new set that does have silicon grippers.
    +1 for the casateli nanoflex 2, i have these too and have never had any issues with them falling down
  • pottssteve wrote:
    Checking in again, and more interesting advice!

I don't have enormously hairy legs but it might be worth giving this a go. Trouble is , my OH doesn't like smooth legs so it might just be the "giggle bad" that gets a mow.

Sorry, Matthew, not doing any sewing.
    No silicone grippers on mine, I'm afraid....

More good ideas though - thanks. :)

my wife laughed at first ...said they looked like pipe cleaners, however she is the one who reminds me to shave them as she prefers the smooth look and not the prickly pipe cleaner / gorilla look nowadays :)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Just to add the Decathlon ones have silicon grippers and don’t pull on my unshaven legs, they are just a nice tight fit.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Do not use leg warmers, use padded longs. Summer shorts don't keep your bits warm in the cold.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If surgical tape has been poopoohed then the next attempt should be gaffer tape in one continuous length from thigh to below knee :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    aubade-soleil-nocturne-suspender-belt-p288-2188_medium.jpg

There you go. Job jobbed.
  • pottssteve
    Ballysmate wrote:

I'm game, have you got a pair I could borrow?! :D

Mind you, I'd be a bit worried about chaffing....
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    edited December 2018
    It's all about the fit IME. The leg-warmers need to fit - have the correct degree of compression around their upper cuff - and your shorts need to have the correct degree of compression over the leg-warmers to hold them in place. Silicon grippers are a red-herring in my book, although they can't do much harm tbf....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Get your thighs pierced, then sew some of those hooks on to your leg warmers and hook them on to your thigh rings.
    Or try staples.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    knickers
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Staple gun.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Ballysmate wrote:

Coffee keyboard moment.

Thank you :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The answer is to fatten the legs or buy small.