SKS-Germany Raceblade Pro XL?

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I guess I have two choices: buy different tyres, or buy the SKS's and hose down the bike after every ride.

I still want to know why I can't get them to stop rubbing now when I managed it last year. The only change to the bike in that area are the wheels, if that makes any difference.
    I think you might have answered your own question. Changing wheels would make a difference if the rim width was different as it would also change the profile of the tyre.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    I guess I have two choices: buy different tyres, or buy the SKS's and hose down the bike after every ride.

I still want to know why I can't get them to stop rubbing now when I managed it last year. The only change to the bike in that area are the wheels, if that makes any difference.
    If the rims are wider than the old wheels then the same tyres will also then be wider...
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    The only change to the bike in that area are the wheels, if that makes any difference.
    In other words, you’ve changed something that can have a fundamental effect on the width and profile of the tyre. And by running 28mm tyres you’re right at the limit of what can be done anyway.

An example - the full guards for my Cube claim to fit 28mm tyres. But GP4000 28’s on my rims come up way bigger, around 31mm. 4 Seasons 28’s size bang on, so they fit.

You have a straight choice - spend some money on the race blades and accept you’ll still need to clean your bike after most rides, or invest in full guards (go to a proper bike shop and try ones so you find some that fit) with narrower tyres.
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    The rims are narrower. The old ones were 19 mm internal, and the new ones are 17 mm.....
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Bungle73 wrote:
    The rims are narrower. The old ones were 19 mm internal, and the new ones are 17 mm.....
    To repeat, you've answered your own question.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    Think carefully about what that might mean.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    Bungle73 wrote:
    What I don't understand is why the are rubbing now when they were't before (and I haven't touched that area of the bike since, or even ridden it recently), and why I can't set them up so they don't rub now, when I managed it last year. I've examined the tyre and the inside of the guards, but I found nothing untoward. :?

My experience with Cruds was that they get a bit tired after being fitted and removed a few times. They are no longer as stiff so can sag between the supported areas.
  • Just put some grease on the tyres, that should prevent any tyre rub getting out of hand.
  • bungle73
    paulbnix wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    What I don't understand is why the are rubbing now when they were't before (and I haven't touched that area of the bike since, or even ridden it recently), and why I can't set them up so they don't rub now, when I managed it last year. I've examined the tyre and the inside of the guards, but I found nothing untoward. :?

My experience with Cruds was that they get a bit tired after being fitted and removed a few times. They are no longer as stiff so can sag between the supported areas.

So what are saying is that they are a piece of junk?
  • bungle73
    i think I may have managed to sort it. They no longer rub....atm. I haven't ridden the bike yet though.
    Just put some grease on the tyres, that should prevent any tyre rub getting out of hand.
    Riiiiiiiight.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Use a work-stand.
    I would also check the edges of the guards don't touch the inside of the fork legs or the seat stays. I had this problem on my old trek and they scuffed through the paint and into the carbon, very lucky the rain didn't destroy the fork.

Yes it will have started dissolving the glue and the fibres will unravel.
  • bungle73
    The frame is aluminium, so that's not a problem. The fork is half carbon, but there is a few mm gap either side of the guard where it runs through it.
  • Why not just get some full length SKS mudguards?
  • bungle73
    Why not just get some full length SKS mudguards?

Because they don't fit! I've already said that.
  • Bungle73 wrote:

No you haven't, you're making it up again.
  • Bungle73 wrote:

There will be mudguards that fit your bike.

Have you tried emailing Mango, see if there’s any they recommend?

Edit - Or a quick look on their website shows they have a set of SKS ones for sale they say fit your bike?
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:

Oh really?
    Bungle73 wrote:
    bobones wrote:
    These are meant to be a good alternative to race blades:

https://road.cc/content/review/242413-f ... -mudguards

Says they only support up to 25 mm tyres, and I'm running 28s.

The thing is I do have eyelets on the frame and fork, but when I tried to use them the guards I bought wouldn't fit. I like the idea of ones that can taken off and put on easily anyway.
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    But that woukd mean ditching a pefectly good pair of tyres, and spending a ton on new ones.

I can't find any better options......
    Well no, you don’t have to “ditch” them, just take them off and save them for when the weather gets better.

As for better options, get full length guards.

I've already tried normal mudguards and they won't fit. And I change to summer tyres in the summer.
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:

There will be mudguards that fit your bike.

Have you tried emailing Mango, see if there’s any they recommend?

Edit - Or a quick look on their website shows they have a set of SKS ones for sale they say fit your bike?

Mango went bust. And the present company ignored me the last time I emailed with a query so I'm not going to waste my time. SKS mudguards will not fit.
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

Oh really?
    Bungle73 wrote:
    bobones wrote:

The thing is I do have eyelets on the frame and fork, but when I tried to use them the guards I bought wouldn't fit. I like the idea of ones that can taken off and put on easily anyway.
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    But that woukd mean ditching a pefectly good pair of tyres, and spending a ton on new ones.

Well no, you don’t have to “ditch” them, just take them off and save them for when the weather gets better.

I've already tried normal mudguards and they won't fit. And I change to summer tyres in the summer.
    So you haven't checked, you've assumed. Stop making stuff up.
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

Oh really?
    Bungle73 wrote:
    bobones wrote:

Bungle73 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

So you haven't checked, you've assumed. Stop making stuff up.

Do you have a problem understanding English? What is it with you people?
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    SKS mudguards will not fit.
    What, every single type of the huge range they make? Don’t be daft.

There’s literally a set on the Mango website they say fits your bike.
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:

So I'm supposed to through every single model of mudguard in the entire world until I find that that fits? And if one model doesn't fit, why would any of the others? And they're probably talking about as sold; mine is not as sold.
  • Bungle73 wrote:

Do you have a problem understanding English? What is it with you people?
    Is this a race thing?
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:

It also says on the website the the bike accommodates mudguards with up to 28 mm tyres, and it doesn't......

Surely the clue is in the fact that even the Cruds are very tight on space.
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

It also says on the website the the bike accommodates mudguards with up to 28 mm tyres, and it doesn't......

No, you demonstrate with every post that you have no clue. Take your bike to the lbs, they know the right ones for what you want and even fit them so you don't get confused.
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

No, you demonstrate with every post that you have no clue. Take your bike to the lbs, they know the right ones for what you want and even fit them so you don't get confused.

I've had enough of your trolling. Piss off
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    So I'm supposed to through every single model of mudguard in the entire world until I find that that fits? And if one model doesn't fit, why would any of the others? And they're probably talking about as sold; mine is not as sold.
    The whole point of SKS having a range of products is - like it is for any company selling any sort of products - that they aren’t all the same. Different sizes, shapes, uses. Otherwise they’d just sell one thing.

Christ almighty.
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    It also says on the website the the bike accommodates mudguards with up to 28 mm tyres, and it doesn't...
    But not all 28mm tyres are exactly that size. The same tyre can come up completely different sizes when put on different width/shape rims.

You are running 28mm tyres on a rim braked bike. That in itself is often pushing the limits of what fits.

This is basic stuff.
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:
    The whole point of SKS having a range of products is - like it is for any company selling any sort of products - that they aren’t all the same. Different sizes, shapes, uses. Otherwise they’d just sell one thing.

Christ almighty.

The ones on the website that that they claim will fit are 35 mm. The ones I bought were 35 mm. Why would they be in the slightest bit different? Do I really have to waste my time ordering them, trying them, only to find that they were never going to fit in the first place to prove to you that they won't fit?
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    The mud guards off the top of my head come in 45mm and 35 mm sizes i got the larger by mistake and had to buy the smaller ones to make them fit the bike.