The Beatles

Comments

• Those are fun journeys aren't they? You can end up hearing some real gems you hadn't come across before.

Years ago there was a music documentary TV programme series late at night on the BBC. Probably 20+ years ago now. It was about 12 programmes long with one band / solo artist per programme. They went into their music and life in depth. With various interviews with various people who knew them. Even interviews with the artist / band themselves if they were still alive of course. I learnt about a lot of blues artists and got into John Lee hooker among other blues legends.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,494
    Webboo wrote:
    Lyrics are worth listening to. Although I used to have the Buzzcock "suspect device" rolling around my head every time Adam's gave a press conference in NI back in the day after the GFA. I always wanted someone to play it over the PA as he came out to talk to the press. Just superficial satisfaction in the link between ex terrorist commander, terrorist bomb and the modern day politician he became. Even though the song probably is a bit deeper than being about a bomb.
    Wasn’t Suspect Device Stiff Little Fingers.
    Yes it was. I couldn't recall their name so b guessed. Complete and utter memory block over their band name. Don't know why I had that block because I like stiff little fingers music a lot. Funny how your memory blocks things out that you like occasionally.
    Seems we have pretty similar musical tastes TM.

Paging Veronese 68 to the thread...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Have you ever heard a song you really liked then learnt it was a cover then learnt the "original" was actually just a cover. But with each discovery of an earlier version you actually liked it more?

Paul Young and the common people song was such a song for me (was jarvis cocker's song a version too?)
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Those are fun journeys aren't they? You can end up hearing some real gems you hadn't come across before.

Years ago there was a music documentary TV programme series late at night on the BBC. Probably 20+ years ago now. It was about 12 programmes long with one band / solo artist per programme. They went into their music and life in depth. With various interviews with various people who knew them. Even interviews with the artist / band themselves if they were still alive of course. I learnt about a lot of blues artists and got into John Lee hooker among other blues legends.
    They are, especially if you can tear yourself away from the obvious links. Heard an American girl for the first time called Kate Wolf, apparently dead now :( beautiful voice. The Youtube Algorithms work well for me as I've not heard very many I don't like :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    Have you ever heard a song you really liked then learnt it was a cover then learnt the "original" was actually just a cover. But with each discovery of an earlier version you actually liked it more?

Paul Young and the common people song was such a song for me (was jarvis cocker's song a version too?)
    Yes come across that a few times, I clicked a link once that said covers you didn't know where covers one that really surprised me was Roberta Flack singing 'First time I ever saw your face' the original If I remember correctly was Ewan McCall Kirsty McCalls father
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Lyrics are worth listening to. Although I used to have the Buzzcock "suspect device" rolling around my head every time Adam's gave a press conference in NI back in the day after the GFA. I always wanted someone to play it over the PA as he came out to talk to the press. Just superficial satisfaction in the link between ex terrorist commander, terrorist bomb and the modern day politician he became. Even though the song probably is a bit deeper than being about a bomb.
    Yes it was. I couldn't recall their name so b guessed. Complete and utter memory block over their band name. Don't know why I had that block because I like stiff little fingers music a lot. Funny how your memory blocks things out that you like occasionally.

Oh that's not hard with me. I pretty much like anything that's real. If you know what I mean. Although I do prefer energetic tracks. The ones with attitude.

I once heard that people with ADHD are more likely to listen to upbeat, high tempo music. I think there's similar with other disorders too. I guess music taps into the way your brain works more than anything else.
  • From beatles to a musical journey. Interesting thread here.
  • A guy at work hooks his ipod up with the company's PA to play music around the factory. He has a very eclectic mix of music on it. Every so often a complete random comes on you've not heard for decades. Stuff you've completely forgotten about.

Just playing that "Japanese boy" song from iirc the 70s. Can't remember the artist or the actual title of the song but it's a guilty pleasure type of song.
  • bianchimoon
    A guy at work hooks his ipod up with the company's PA to play music around the factory. He has a very eclectic mix of music on it. Every so often a complete random comes on you've not heard for decades. Stuff you've completely forgotten about.

Just playing that "Japanese boy" song from iirc the 70s. Can't remember the artist or the actual title of the song but it's a guilty pleasure type of song.
    eeek Aneka :o , I've written this afternoon off :? :?
  • bianchimoon
    All this led me to "feed the world" and I never realised there are no female or black singers (except backing) the American version "We are the world" was very diverse in comparison. Just to keep on thread, no Beatles involved either. :D
  • A guy at work hooks his ipod up with the company's PA to play music around the factory. He has a very eclectic mix of music on it. Every so often a complete random comes on you've not heard for decades. Stuff you've completely forgotten about.

eeek Aneka :o , I've written this afternoon off :? :?
    Yes, it is bad but a kind of catchiness to it. I did say guilty pleasure. Although in my defence I will say it's about creating a memory of happy times as a child. What I like about it is how it makes me events and a time that was good. I was young then too so it's like today's kids at a primary school disco dancing to cha cha slide! Which song is worse???
  • Has anyone done a cover of one of those 80s charity records other than for charity cause that is? I just curious.
  • bianchimoon
    Has anyone done a cover of one of those 80s charity records other than for charity cause that is? I just curious.
    There appears to be a fews covers, clicked one but had to stop it, my ears were being sick!
  • Has anyone done a cover of one of those 80s charity records other than for charity cause that is? I just curious.
    There appears to be a fews covers, clicked one but had to stop it, my ears were being sick!
    Were they for charity or personal gain of the artist? I just wonder if anyone would take advantage of a charity record (that could still be earning money) just to cash in for themselves. For me that's a line crossed.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

Oh that's not hard with me. I pretty much like anything that's real. If you know what I mean. Although I do prefer energetic tracks. The ones with attitude.

I once heard that people with ADHD are more likely to listen to upbeat, high tempo music. I think there's similar with other disorders too. I guess music taps into the way your brain works more than anything else.
    Probably very true, but slightly worrying given my taste in music :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bianchimoon
    Has anyone done a cover of one of those 80s charity records other than for charity cause that is? I just curious.
    Were they for charity or personal gain of the artist? I just wonder if anyone would take advantage of a charity record (that could still be earning money) just to cash in for themselves. For me that's a line crossed.
    Not sure about that, i doubt it though, it would be in very poor taste.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,682
    craker wrote:
    Rubber Soul. Revolver. Magical Mystery Tour. Sgt Pepper's. The White Album. Let It Be. Abbey Road

Can you think of another band who can knock it a string of seven stunning albums that show so much progression in just a 5 year period? (A quick vote for Joni Mitchell here...). No one else sounds anything like them, though plenty have tried.

Pick one, I'd say Revolver from 1966.
    Ok, I bite. (Good thread this btw, makes a pleasant read compared to...well, you know)

I'll go Pink Floyd. Piper at The Gates of Dawn in 1967 to Dark Side of the Moon in 1973, via Saucerful Of Secrets, More, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and Obscured By Clouds. Progress on progress, getting to a level with Dark Side of the Moon which was/is just something else.

That said, poss my bestest Floyd one is Learning To Fly from the much later (87) Momentary Lapse of Reason, but then I'm weird.

Btw, the Aussie Pink Floyd are playing RAH next November, tickets go on sale tomorrow. Never saw Da Floyd (too young :D ) but have seen the Aussies twice now, seriously excellent.

And before sniffy boy gets excited, The Rezillos are the best, ever, ever.
  • orraloon
    Ah, rats. Just read that Pete Shelley, Buzzcocks has died. RIP Pete.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Just heard Pete Shelley from the Buzzocks died today aged 63
    Fu*ing b*llocks.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    As per my other post TDV has just bought tickets to see The Cure. It's gonna rock.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    +1. RIP

So glad I went to see them play 3 years back as I missed them first time around.

https://youtu.be/51OB2YoC4sg
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,742
    Webboo wrote:
    Just heard Pete Shelley from the Buzzocks died today aged 63
    Fu*ing b*llocks.

Sad news indeed - saw them a few times when they first reformed in the late 80s.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Beat me to it. SLF = another of my favourite bands and have seen them live more than once.
    My favourite band ever.I can't believe it's been 40 years since I first heard Suspect Device in my cousins bedroom(long story).Made the hairs on the back of my neck stick up then and still does today.Remember flipping it over and listening to Wasted life over and over.Soundtrack of my youth 8)

Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    +1. RIP
    So glad I went to see them play 3 years back as I missed them first time around.

https://youtu.be/51OB2YoC4sg
    Another great and underrated band from the original Punk explosion.
    RIP Pete.

RE The Beatles.They made some mindblowing stunning stuff....but also a load of bubble-gum shite.Can't really dismiss them though!
  • Stevo_666
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Beat me to it. SLF = another of my favourite bands and have seen them live more than once.
    My favourite band ever.I can't believe it's been 40 years since I first heard Suspect Device in my cousins bedroom(long story).Made the hairs on the back of my neck stick up then and still does today.Remember flipping it over and listening to Wasted life over and over.Soundtrack of my youth 8)
    You can still go see SLF as they seem to be on tour every year - including early next year. Top live band as well.

Pete Shelley's death reminded me that you have to go see these bands play while you can. Still gutted that I never saw the Clash play live.
  • orraloon
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pete Shelley's death reminded me that you have to go see these bands play while you can. Still gutted that I never saw the Clash play live.
    Totally. One my cherished memories is the Public Image Ltd (sans Jah W on that tour) gig in a hot and sweaty Oxford O2 Academy in July 2010. Brilliant. Band were so on it, and Mr Lydon was in excellent form. 30 years just disappeared.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,742
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    You can still go see SLF as they seem to be on tour every year - including early next year. Top live band as well.

Haven't SLF had a falling out, thought the singer - Jake Burns?? - wasn't talking to the rest. They were a great live band - saw them quite a few times but not for 20 years odd.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • You can kind of still get the experience. Well, a sort of experience. There must be loads of recordings of live gigs around. I remember a bootleg tape seller dealing tapes out of my old university student union. I've got a recording of a 1977 Hammersmith palais gig iirc of the clash somewhere on tape. No cassette player working though. :(

From what I remember it was a bit ropey sound recording but good enough to hear the spirit of the gig.

If I have that someone else will and there'll be a vid online somewhere.

Was too young when punk came around but I reckon if it had come around in my uni years I'd be in the thick of it. I've been to some indie/punk/rock nights in my uni days and the pit (indie days called the mosh pit I believe) was fun to be in the thick of. Aaah the good old days!
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Totally. One my cherished memories is the Public Image Ltd (sans Jah W on that tour) gig in a hot and sweaty Oxford O2 Academy in July 2010. Brilliant. Band were so on it, and Mr Lydon was in excellent form. 30 years just disappeared.
    I saw Lydon front the Pistols about 5 years ago in Hammersmith - top entertainer.

Sadly nearest I've ever got to The Clash was seeing a punk tribute band night at the 100 Club on Oxford St - although £13 to see very passable versions of Clash, Ramones and Pistols in the same evening was an absolute bargain and somewhat smaller than the beer bill :)
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Haven't SLF had a falling out, thought the singer - Jake Burns?? - wasn't talking to the rest. They were a great live band - saw them quite a few times but not for 20 years odd.

Stiff Little Fingers split in 1982.

Jake, later reformed the band, and he was the only original member in the re-formed group.

However, original bassist Ali Mcmordie has now been back playing for them for a few years. Of course Bruce Foxton, from the Jam, played bass for many years for SLF.

There is another band called XSLF who consist of original SLF guitarist Henry Cluney and SLF drummer Jim Riley.

I first saw SLF in 1979 on a school trip! Those were the days.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

If they did fall out, must be behind them now as I last saw them play in March just gone and they're still selling for their tour in 2019. Go see them again if you can.
    https://www.seetickets.com/tour/stiff-little-fingers