Brexit: Let's call the whole thing off..

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    Robert88 wrote:
    European Court of Justice rules Britain can unilaterally revoke Article 50

A spokeswoman for the ECJ said: "In today's judgment, the Full Court has ruled that, when a Member State has notified the European Council of its intention to withdraw from the European Union, as the UK has done, that Member State is free to revoke unilaterally that notification.

"That possibility exists for as long as a withdrawal agreement concluded between the EU and that Member State has not entered into force or, if no such agreement has been concluded, for as long as the two-year period from the date of the notification of the intention to withdraw from the EU, and any possible extension, has not expired."

Easy-peasy.

How to tell your MP that Brexit is madness

Excellent news! Love Gove's petulant response. As my MP is one of those who took the case to the ECJ, I think he already knows that Brexit is madness.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    yes good news, though my MP appears more interested in sucking up to the people who he thinks can get a ministerial post in future, lets hope this deluded tomfoolery is sorted soon!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Since the Brexiteers wanted the ECJ to no longer have any role in deciding cases affecting the UK I find this very good news.

Of course most pro Brexit seem to mix the ECJ with the human rights court.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Good news that it can be unilaterally reversed but I think that is solely a technical point of law that is useful to have clarified.

I still struggle to see a u-turn occurring (much as it would make me very happy). I think BRINO is the least damaging path when considering both economic and political outcomes.

Cameron should be shot!
  • morstar wrote:
    Good news that it can be unilaterally reversed but I think that is solely a technical point of law that is useful to have clarified.

I still struggle to see a u-turn occurring (much as it would make me very happy). I think BRINO is the least damaging path when considering both economic and political outcomes.

Cameron should be shot!

If used correctly it gives us leverage as we can stop the ticking clock

No point in writing a letter as I doubt my MP can read
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    morstar wrote:

Cameron should be shot!

When I lived in Surrey we had a perfectly good MP. It's been a while though and a 'good MP' has clearly become an oxymoron.
  • Robert88 wrote:
    morstar wrote:

Cameron should be shot!

When I lived in Surrey we had a perfectly good MP. It's been a while though and a 'good MP' has clearly become an oxymoron.

My MP is Chris Grayling
  • My MP is Chris Grayling
    I feel sorry for you.

I had Nigel Evans for a while now I've got a guy who's a bit "nice but dim" crossed with "tory boy" from Harry Enfield. More interested in getting the mainline trains to stop at a very small and minor town on the mainline about 8 minutes north of the nearest city and 20 minutes from another mainline station. A serious waste of time but it's his obsession.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Robert88 wrote:
    morstar wrote:

Cameron should be shot!

My MP is Chris Grayling

Shameful. Did you vote for him? Have you ever?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    edited December 2018
    Ours is regrettably Richard Benyon.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    So let's bin Brexit and off to the pub to Celebrate ? It's what David Davis would want.

(we can tell him we've exited. He won't notice)
  • Robert88 wrote:
    morstar wrote:

Cameron should be shot!

My MP is Chris Grayling

Shameful. Did you vote for him? Have you ever?

No I have never voted for him.
  • robert88
    Maybe the next Tory leader would have the balls to just do it?
  • robert88
  • Robert88 wrote:
    I'm off to Norway after Xmas, I mention Norway a lot as we're planning our first family ski trip. I doubt I'll notice what "Norway deal" is like so won't come back much enlightened by the visit. Other than learning a new skill in skiing and experiencing a new country for me.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Norway is lovely.
  • £££ tho
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    Robert88 wrote:
    I'm off to Norway after Xmas, I mention Norway a lot as we're planning our first family ski trip. I doubt I'll notice what "Norway deal" is like so won't come back much enlightened by the visit. Other than learning a new skill in skiing and experiencing a new country for me.
    I'm headed for France, I've heard it'll be a real riot. Apparently you can put on a yellow vest and do what the hell you want.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    I'm headed for France, I've heard it'll be a real riot. Apparently you can put on a yellow vest and do what the hell you want.
    At least they are identifying themselves through the gilet. Oh and not burning sheep alive in livestock trucks coming from Britain like in the past. So they're not all bad.
  • robert88
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Typical cyclist :wink:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    We are too, and in all seriousness it's a bit concerning. We will, of course, have a GJ for each car occupant, along with our spare bulb kit, breathalyser and all the rest, so we can just blend in if necessary.

And anyway, what on earth point is a bulb kit when you pretty much need to take off the bonnet and remove the engine to change a headlight on most cars these days?
  • robert88
    bompington wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    We are too, and in all seriousness it's a bit concerning. We will, of course, have a GJ for each car occupant, along with our spare bulb kit, breathalyser and all the rest, so we can just blend in if necessary.

And anyway, what on earth point is a bulb kit when you pretty much need to take off the bonnet and remove the engine to change a headlight on most cars these days?

A lot of cars on French roads are very ancient e.g. the Citroen 2cv is still common place. I believe some early ones have oil lamps though.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Well, you may be surprised to learn that I'm not driving from Scotland to the Alps in a 2CV...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,906
    bompington wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

If you want to show GJ-allegiance/blend in, put the GJ in the windscreen. There are also various interactive maps showing where ongoing blockades and petrol stations that are short of petrol are, so they are mostly easily avoided.

https://www.phonandroid.com/gilets-jaun ... outes.html
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Robert88 wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

A lot of cars on French roads are very ancient e.g. the Citroen 2cv is still common place. I believe some early ones have oil lamps though.
    Do you have to carry a spare red flag for the man walking in front of those?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Typical cyclist :wink:
    Fair point. I'm going to get one.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    bompington wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Sod that, we're getting a minibus transfer so we don't have to bother with anything car-related on holiday.
  • robert88
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Sod that, we're getting a minibus transfer so we don't have to bother with anything car-related on holiday.

Good plan. After BREXIT you may not be authorised to drive there, be insured or have a car considered roadworthy. Also, have enough euros in case the credit card doesn't work.

Kinda funny really.

May gets to be leader and calls a general election to assert her authority in negotiations with the EU.

May's weakened authority causes a confidence vote to get rid, get a new leader and re-assert Tory power in the negotiations with the EU.

That went well
  • It's Brexit innit. It's not meant to go well.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Robert88 wrote:

May gets to be leader and calls a general election to assert her authority in negotiations with the EU.

May's weakened authority causes a confidence vote to get rid, get a new leader and re-assert Tory power in the negotiations with the EU.

That went well

No matter what I do, all I see with Theresa May is Malcolm Tucker standing over her berating her “You’re a f*cking omnishambles, you’re like that coffee machine, from bean to cup you f*ck up!”