£5m 'Gift' for Departing Premier Lge Boss Scudamore

2»

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Poptart242 wrote:
    He's made that league untold millions, presiding over a massive rise in income. You can argue the numbers all you like, but if I'd done nothing but make my business money over 20 years I'd feel perfectly justified in taking a 2x salary bonus as thanks.

How many people get a leaving gift of 2 years salary ffs. It's snouts in the trough, do you think Chelsea gift the equivalent to their cleaners, ticket office staff etc?

As Chelsea were the first in 2014 (and still one of only 3 PL Clubs) to pay all their staff the living wage I think a more considerate example would have been one of the many other clubs that still refuse to do the right thing by their staff. We do get a lot of stick but on this I'm quite proud! ;-)
  • Pinno wrote:
    Poptart242 wrote:
    He's made that league untold millions, presiding over a massive rise in income. You can argue the numbers all you like, but if I'd done nothing but make my business money over 20 years I'd feel perfectly justified in taking a 2x salary bonus as thanks.

At the expense of the progression/development of domestic football?

Only his concern if it's in his job description really. As far as he's concerned it's just a job I guess. Performance = rewards.
  • awavey wrote:
    Poptart242 wrote:

do you not think his large salary, annual million pound bonus, plus million pound bonuses for the TV deals haven't already covered that in some way ?

I don't earn millions, neither does my partner, but we get by happily enough without my company bonus. But when that time of year comes around I'm not about to say no am I? After that, what I do with my money is my concern, as it is Scudamore's. I don't think it's right to mandate that people spend their money in a certain way.

(For what it's worth, yes of course it's a lot of money, more than anyone would ever need IMO).
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    Poptart242 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Poptart242 wrote:

At the expense of the progression/development of domestic football?

Only his concern if it's in his job description really. As far as he's concerned it's just a job I guess. Performance = rewards.

I was only posing the rhetorical question in response to this part of what you said:
    Poptart242 wrote:
    He's made that league untold millions, presiding over a massive rise in income.

However and being purely objective, you are right.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    My objection is that the lesser clubs in the lower leagues are also being asked to contribute £250,000. Some of them may find that pretty harsh considering the financial position of many of them.
  • cornerblock
    socrates wrote:
    My objection is that the lesser clubs in the lower leagues are also being asked to contribute £250,000. Some of them may find that pretty harsh considering the financial position of many of them.

What? Why would clubs from outside the Premier League be asked to contribute to a pay off for Scudamore? Are you quite sure that you've grasped this story?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    So the Premier league donate £24 million per annum to grassroots football in the UK while the PL clubs have paid £210 million to agents during the last 12 months. Now the Chief Exec is getting a 2 year salary lump sum as a thank you. All for heading up an organisation which had cash thrown at it from subscribe tv stations.

Mind you someone had to build and apply the fit and proper test for owners of PL clubs. old Roman didn’t pass the Swiss residency test but he’s ok for the old PL, BTW which club instigated the cloth cap collection? Mmmmmm

And we bemoan FIFA for being corrupt. I doubt the PL made sure no transactions were in US dollars or they used servers based in the US which was the trigger for the US investigation of FIFA.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    My thoughts on this are similar to when everyone was moaning about Chris Evans' salary (aside from the licence fee part), if we don't like how much money these people earn, stop buying their product.

As for not earning more than the PM, madness.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    so the latest news is its not a gift for leaving as such, its to coin the business phrase a "golden handcuffs" payment, to stop Scudamore leaving the Premier league and turning up at La Liga, or any rival league, the next day and then working his magic with the tv deals and pushing the 39th game idea that the Premier League went cold on, and turning those rival legues into an even bigger threat to the Premier League clubs than some potentially are already, La Liga have already announced plans for a NFL style international series set of games even if the players arent keen its just a matter of money before it happens.

so its 5million to be paid over 3 years to keep him off the job market
  • cornerblock
    awavey wrote:

Nice work if you can't get it!
  • awavey wrote:

Nice work if you can't get it!

He is benefiting from his contacts, knowledge and reputation.

In many ways no different from any tradesman.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Yep. Most def have. This was the complaint from the lower league clubs.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Pity the researcher at the search firm who is working on the premier league CEO replacement and laugh at his boss who’s royally f@cked the search up.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Pity the researcher at the search firm who is working on the premier league CEO replacement and laugh at his boss who’s royally f@cked the search up.
    Is it you?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    No I would not send myself up like that.