sealant not sealing

2»

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Using the coke bottle works OK. Wrapping the bottle with Duck tape or similar helps reinforce it against rupture........
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 848
    zefs wrote:
    If you repair the puncture with a plug or patch correctly yes, sealant is not a permanent fix.

The air only escapes out slightly when I squeeze certain parts of the tyre's sidewall now. Nothing seems to be coming from the small hole I have patched. I am hoping adding sealant will now help with the sidewall.

Thanks
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Yes, the sealant will help with that too. Just make sure you use enough so that it seals the sidewall and there is enough left for a future puncture.
  • chatlow
    ive chucked in around 60ml. such a messy job thanks to airlocks! pumped to 60psi and mixing it around tyre then laying tyre on each side for 5 mins to help with sidewalls. Also added some soapy water because noticed the sidewall was leaking some sealant at 80 psi.
  • chatlow
    It looks good! Had a worry when I noticed the tyre had a slight wobble but managed to let down air out and pull that part of the wall slightly, the gave it 100psi and it popped a bit more. Spins perfectly, held 90 overnight. Real test will be riding it later for 10 mins and making sure the patch is good.

Thanks again all :-)
  • chatlow
    yeah unfortunately the worm option failed twice for me with this puncture, so last hope was to use a patch instead - praying this skab i have added, holds up!
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Needs to be the patches that include a glue and not something like parktool's pre-glued ones. Use enough glue to make it stick well and leave the tire overnight before adding sealant.
  • chatlow
    I used a sticky skab patch - and since inflating to 90 2 days ago, with sealant, it hasn't lost anything :)

didn't know about different sized worms - I bought a pack of 5 which all look about the same. Have them in my saddle bag now.