Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Winter gloves....

TurboTommyTurboTommy Posts: 493
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I well covered subject to be sure!...

I have long fingers and I guess relatively big hands. I’ve stuck with the same castelli winter gloves for too many winters to be honest. I have a pair of sealskins gloves somewhere too which are quite toasty but the fingers aren’t long enough and I have the largest pair I believe. Looks like it’s going to be 8c this Saturday so grateful for any recommendations.
Cannondale caad7 ultegra
S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
Colnago c64 etap wifli
Brother Swift
«1

Posts

  • akhakh Posts: 185
    "I've stuck with the same castelli winter gloves for too many winters to be honest."

    Not sure that the problem is with them from that statement. If you want a cheap pair of gloves to get you out this weekend, give the neoprene gloves from Aldi a go. I tried some on in store Monday and they have longer finger than any of my gloves in a comparable size. Maybe worth a try for a tenner.
  • AKH wrote:
    "I've stuck with the same castelli winter gloves for too many winters to be honest."

    Not sure that the problem is with them from that statement. If you want a cheap pair of gloves to get you out this weekend, give the neoprene gloves from Aldi a go. I tried some on in store Monday and they have longer finger than any of my gloves in a comparable size. Maybe worth a try for a tenner.

    Sorry AKH, that statement was a little vague. The castelli gloves are neoprene (diluvio is the name). I’ve decided neoprene gloves are too much of a compromise. They smell and make my hands smell after a couple of rides, so I have two pairs on constant rotation. And I don’t rate them for longer rides. I like the fact they’re versatile but yeah, I’ve just come to the point where I find them too hit and miss. I’d like a glove that keeps me consistently warm on longer rides. Or alternatively if anyone has got a recommendation for a specific glove + liner combo.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • shiznit76shiznit76 Posts: 640
    tbh, can't fault lidl's ones
  • sungodsungod Posts: 14,341
    TurboTommy wrote:
    AKH wrote:
    "I've stuck with the same castelli winter gloves for too many winters to be honest."

    Not sure that the problem is with them from that statement. If you want a cheap pair of gloves to get you out this weekend, give the neoprene gloves from Aldi a go. I tried some on in store Monday and they have longer finger than any of my gloves in a comparable size. Maybe worth a try for a tenner.

    Sorry AKH, that statement was a little vague. The castelli gloves are neoprene (diluvio is the name). I’ve decided neoprene gloves are too much of a compromise. They smell and make my hands smell after a couple of rides, so I have two pairs on constant rotation. And I don’t rate them for longer rides. I like the fact they’re versatile but yeah, I’ve just come to the point where I find them too hit and miss. I’d like a glove that keeps me consistently warm on longer rides. Or alternatively if anyone has got a recommendation for a specific glove + liner combo.
    neoprene gloves are only for cold+wet, though even then i think there're better options

    tbh for me, 8c is still mitts weather as once warmed up i'm fine, if you do need gloves at that temperature there are plenty to choose from

    fwiw as it gets colder, i use castelli scalda, for real cold it's time for castelli estremo
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I’ve recently bought a pair of Rapha Brevet gloves which I was extremely impressed with on a recent ride with temps around 10 degrees. I always suffer with cold hands & feet but my hands never felt cold once on a 112km ride and they felt very comfortable.
  • sungod wrote:
    TurboTommy wrote:
    AKH wrote:
    "I've stuck with the same castelli winter gloves for too many winters to be honest."

    Not sure that the problem is with them from that statement. If you want a cheap pair of gloves to get you out this weekend, give the neoprene gloves from Aldi a go. I tried some on in store Monday and they have longer finger than any of my gloves in a comparable size. Maybe worth a try for a tenner.

    Sorry AKH, that statement was a little vague. The castelli gloves are neoprene (diluvio is the name). I’ve decided neoprene gloves are too much of a compromise. They smell and make my hands smell after a couple of rides, so I have two pairs on constant rotation. And I don’t rate them for longer rides. I like the fact they’re versatile but yeah, I’ve just come to the point where I find them too hit and miss. I’d like a glove that keeps me consistently warm on longer rides. Or alternatively if anyone has got a recommendation for a specific glove + liner combo.
    neoprene gloves are only for cold+wet, though even then i think there're better options

    tbh for me, 8c is still mitts weather as once warmed up i'm fine, if you do need gloves at that temperature there are plenty to choose from

    fwiw as it gets colder, i use castelli scalda, for real cold it's time for castelli estremo

    I do need gloves. Going on the basis that it’s predicted 8c high in London. And I’m off out to the sticks at first light. And generally I prefer my hands and feet to be too hot rather than cold. There are plenty of winter gloves to choose from but the trouble I have is that most gloves have fingers that aren’t long enough for me. So it restricts the movement of my fingers. I don’t think my fingers are crazy long, just longer than average. And I don’t have shovel hands, so its tough to get the balance between long fingers and good fit. Anyways... thanks for the response
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • I’ve recently bought a pair of Rapha Brevet gloves which I was extremely impressed with on a recent ride with temps around 10 degrees. I always suffer with cold hands & feet but my hands never felt cold once on a 112km ride and they felt very comfortable.

    Cool thanks. Maybe I’ll pop down to them to try a pair for size. It’ll break my heart to pay full price for rapha though...
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • akhakh Posts: 185
    Ah, well you won't like the ones I suggested then if neoprene is the problem.

    Can't advise on fit sorry as my fingers are stumpy.

    I find "soft shell" type gloves with a brushed/furry inside work the best for me. Windproof only, not waterproof, as they let sweat pass much more easily. I actually cycles in Rab outdoor gloves at the moment because I have a pair for walking and they perform great on the bike. The brushed lining works like a towel and sucks sweat away so well that the leather palm can be wet at the end of a ride, but the inside feels dry to the touch. I assume someone must make an equally good cycling specific glove.
  • w00dsterw00dster Posts: 880
    For current weather conditions I'm using Seal Skinz All Weather Gloves, they're not winter gloves, not too warm so I wouldn't use them on a full winter ride, but good for now. Unfortunately I can't help on fit as my hands are just normal size. (Medium)

    Pop into Go Outdoors or Cotswolds and see if there's anything in there that fit?
  • photonic69photonic69 Posts: 1,487
    I find Endura Dexter gloves really good

    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Dexter- ... gKp4fD_BwE
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    8 degrees isn't that cold.

    I'd be wearing wooly gloves for that - great for Autumn and Spring.

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/defeet-e-touch- ... 1294704121
  • cougie wrote:
    8 degrees isn't that cold.

    I'd be wearing wooly gloves for that - great for Autumn and Spring.

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/defeet-e-touch- ... 1294704121

    A few weeks ago I was in the alpes with friends and we knew before we left the weather could be changeable. Maybe between 10 and 20 centigrade according to forecasts. In the chalet I was talking to one of the other guys about what we’d personally both bought with us, to allow for the varying weather and it did make me laugh. We’d both bought multiple bits of kit that could be worn in various combinations, to try and allow for every small change in the weather. It made me think back to my childhood when we’d play football in all weather, maybe putting on or taking off a jumper was about as much consideration as we gave the cold.
    Don’t get me wrong I do like my cycling kit. And most important I like it to function the way I want it to. Choice is good generally. But considering I’m struggling to find one pair of gloves that fits me properly. If I could find just one pair that did, I’d be happy for example if they aren’t designed for deep winter weather but I could make them warmer with a second layer. Or they are designed for deep winter and I get a little hot at 8c I can live with that too.

    Sorry that got a bit long winded :P
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • cougie wrote:
    8 degrees isn't that cold.

    I'd be wearing wooly gloves for that - great for Autumn and Spring.

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/defeet-e-touch- ... 1294704121

    Been wearing those recently, great for a bit of hand insulation and visibility while signalling, typically in temps of approx 5-15C.

    I'll be wearing lobster gloves though on Saturday morning at 0600 for my commute, with expected "feels like" -1C temps.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • joey54321joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I've got a pair of these:

    https://www.roostersailing.com/pd/PolyP ... 105313.htm

    and really rate them, thin and lightweight but very warm. Like with other clothing, I find layers on the hands is very beneficial, warmer and more adaptable.

    Not sure about the length but they are quite stretchy. I should note these probably wouldn't hold up that well to being worn on their own, they are to go under another glove.
  • I find it’s best to wear layers. A thin pair of gloves under a heavy duty pair, possibly made of Neoprene or similar, if it’s wet.
  • TurboTommy wrote:
    I’ve recently bought a pair of Rapha Brevet gloves which I was extremely impressed with on a recent ride with temps around 10 degrees. I always suffer with cold hands & feet but my hands never felt cold once on a 112km ride and they felt very comfortable.

    Cool thanks. Maybe I’ll pop down to them to try a pair for size. It’ll break my heart to pay full price for rapha though...


    Quite a few of their gloves on sale currently at http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rapha/.

    40% off certainly softens the blow.
  • joey54321joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Softens but blimey they are expensive! I wonder how much better they really are over the £25 DHB winter gloves.
  • As a person with poor circulation that needs long finger gloves below 15C and "deep winter" gloves a 10C and below, I feel I'm somewhat of a glove connoisseur.

    I've had many, many pairs of gloves over the years trying to find the "one". Most fail to live up to the anecdotes of being "toasty warm" as most people don't have hands like mine. Also, a lot of gloves have the rubbish design of liner that pulls away with sweaty hands, leaving you unable to get your fingers back in. The latest glove to fail is the Kalf ZERO which barely keeps my hand warms at 12C.

    The only gloves I consider in any way adequate are the Castelli Estremo and Rapha Deep Winter with a silk/merino liner glove.

    In an ideal world, I'd have some sort of heated glove without a bulky battery and battery life for winter rides of 3-6hrs.

    Sorry for wall of text... I just really hate winter and my pathetic cold hands. :x
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,162
    I've been using a pair of Endura Stikes for a couple years now with a pair of DHB liners when it gets a bit too nippy (the minus numbers usually) they are a bit tatty an stictching is going in places but still work perfectly, plus they have a huge snot strip which is always very welcome.

    Also I agree 8c is not cold I'm still using my light wind proof gloves, its more the wind at the moment you need to keep off rather than actually keeping warm. Mind you this weekend its looking like 1-2c air temp so I may get the Enduras out.
  • As meanredspider rpewats year after year.

    Get liners and layer up. I have a 10 quid pair of silk liners from Amazon and they are amazing regardless of how censored my outers are and how cold it is and don't get too tight.
  • I used to suffer from cold hands, I wore neoprene gloves for a long time, but would suffer on the really cold days.
    I got a set of Phew winter gloves from Bike Science in Bristol at the start of this year.
    You get thinner Windproof gloves for the warmer cold days, and then Lobster gloves over the top for really cold days.
    Haven’t had cold hands since. I really rate them. Haven’t worn my neoprene gloves since I got them.
    Can’t help with the finger length though. Plenty long enough for my normal size hands.
  • TurboTommy wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    8 degrees isn't that cold.

    I'd be wearing wooly gloves for that - great for Autumn and Spring.

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/defeet-e-touch- ... 1294704121

    A few weeks ago I was in the alpes with friends and we knew before we left the weather could be changeable. Maybe between 10 and 20 centigrade according to forecasts. In the chalet I was talking to one of the other guys about what we’d personally both bought with us, to allow for the varying weather and it did make me laugh. We’d both bought multiple bits of kit that could be worn in various combinations, to try and allow for every small change in the weather. It made me think back to my childhood when we’d play football in all weather, maybe putting on or taking off a jumper was about as much consideration as we gave the cold.
    Don’t get me wrong I do like my cycling kit. And most important I like it to function the way I want it to. Choice is good generally. But considering I’m struggling to find one pair of gloves that fits me properly. If I could find just one pair that did, I’d be happy for example if they aren’t designed for deep winter weather but I could make them warmer with a second layer. Or they are designed for deep winter and I get a little hot at 8c I can live with that too.

    Sorry that got a bit long winded :P


    Try some Imax baltic or Imax ARX 20. Sea fishing gloves.
  • joey54321joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Anyone tried these?

    https://www.dissent133.com/

    Expensive but you get multiple layers, unlike the Rapha/Castelli which are a one glove thing.
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    cossyrush wrote:
    I used to suffer from cold hands, I wore neoprene gloves for a long time, but would suffer on the really cold days.
    I got a set of Phew winter gloves from Bike Science in Bristol at the start of this year.
    You get thinner Windproof gloves for the warmer cold days, and then Lobster gloves over the top for really cold days.
    Haven’t had cold hands since. I really rate them. Haven’t worn my neoprene gloves since I got them.
    Can’t help with the finger length though. Plenty long enough for my normal size hands.

    Neoprene aren't designed for cold rides. Just wet ones. They're not great winter gloves and they stink.
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    joey54321 wrote:
    Anyone tried these?

    https://www.dissent133.com/

    Expensive but you get multiple layers, unlike the Rapha/Castelli which are a one glove thing.

    They do look expensive. As has been said - get some inner liners and then either decent winter gloves - my go to are the cheap £5 Aldi gloves or a bargain pair of Chapeau.

    If its really cold or you feel the cold then the Lobster Mitts are great.

    I used some Golf Mitts (aldi bargain again) for a sub zero snow ride and my hands were toasty warm. It worked well as I has thumb shifters. Trickier with STI etc.
  • joey54321joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    My point was actually that they look like good value compared to the £60-80 Castelli/Rapha gloves. With those you get one big gloves which you can only use in the very cold. With the Dissent133, you get a range of gloves you could use from late summer to late Spring or even early morning rides.
  • Grateful for all the responses.

    I had a feeling this thread may result in people debating the reasons for their own glove preference which is understandable. But my original question was if someone could recommend some gloves with longer than average fingers. So in the end I have ordered a few different pairs to see which fit me best. I’ll pop back once I’ve tried them all so hopefully it will help someone else in the future.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Get thinner gloves which are less size specific and layer them up
  • chippykchippyk Posts: 529
    For me, Rapha Reflective Brevet gloves are great, I’ve worn them at -2 and my hands are like toast, I do tend to run warm though. Easily the best gloves I’ve had. For milder conditions I have some Nalino Pure Mid gloves and they’re perfect for when mitts are too cold and full winter gloves are too warm.
  • big_harvbig_harv Posts: 512
    OP, I have long fingers too (something to do with playing piano since I was 8!)

    Try non cycling specific. I have some from an outdoor shop. Seriously warm and I can still manipulate the brakes/ gears.

    EDIT: outdoor shop meaning a shop specialising in outdoor activities, not a tent in the high st. Just to be clear. :lol:
Sign In or Register to comment.