Emergency surgery and recovery.

MisterMuncher
MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
So, on Sunday, I found myself rushed to hospital, straight through A&E and into surgery to get a hernia repair. I'd had the thing for ages, it always popped back in but it had decided it was going to try and kill me that day. Obviously, surgery was rather invasive, so I've a ten inch cut across the old groin, twenty odd staples and a lingering feeling of being stabbed.

I'm going to be off the bike for a month, minimum.

I'd had a pretty decent season club racing last year, and was entertaining taking on an open licence next year (the Irish system is a little different, but suffice to say I was mixing it up well with A4 and A3 riders (cat 4/3), our club league is pretty hardcore) but I'm losing a good two months hard training over the winter with this no matter how I slice it.

Beyond easing myself back in lightly sooner rather than later, any advice on how to minimise the impact of such an enforced break? First target race would be in March.

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Not familiar with hernia repair, but I was on the bike again (gently) 2 weeks after an emergency c-section.

I suspect most GPs will tell you weeks/months to be off the bike but imo unless you have complications with the surgery or some other underlying reason not to be riding, I would be getting back as soon as you can, even just on the turbo to spin the legs. Then longer easy rides outside, before making sure you're 100% healed and ready before tackling proper training, intervals, etc.

But as with everything, listen to your body, don't be stupid about it, ymmv, take others' advice at your own risk, yadda yadda.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    Had a hernia op last year. Slice into the groin and mesh insterted. Glued back together and steri-strips.

I was back on the Turbo after 3.5-4 weeks for a gentle spin. Felt it pulling a bit so stopped for a few days. Got back into riding after 5 weeks doing a gentle 35 miles and built on that.

Take it easy. Listen to the surgeon. If it hurts or feels weird then stop immediately.

Good luck with the pubes growing back. It's kinda itchy!!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.