What to buy? Cube Agree, Cervelo R3, or Something Else?

2»

Comments

• mbrune
    mbrune Posts: 54
    Bought the r3 today in 61, talked to the dealer/fitter for a while, he's willing to take it back if i'm not satisfied after 2 weeks, I thought that to be a generous guarantee, he's pretty convinced I'll be happy with the bike once I have it. Certainly it's a big step up from what I have now. Got the whole bike for less than the price of the 2019 r3 frame, so I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing, now I just have to hope that I love it and the fit. I'll post pictures once I get it here and set up, he had to order it in and will fit me next weekend. Can't wait to see what a modern carbon frame that actually fits me feels like. Thanks to all for the input. (Oh and I bought the blue, my wife has a bright yellow bike, loves it, but it's definitely not my cup of tea)
  • Thanks for thoughts on colour guys.
    I drove a fair way yesterday to see the R3 available in my size in both colours.
    I was 60/40 biased to the blue before hand, but needed to be sure!
    I came away with the blue as I thought the fluro may go out of "fashion" in a few years.
    A guy at the bike store had a fluro R3 with deep section wheels and black cages it did look amazing!
    Initial impressions of a 10 mile ride in the dark are good, you can feel the anchors, sorry Aksiums holding back the potential of the bike though!
    Some good deals to be had, but not many left in most popular 54/56 sizes.
  • mbrune
    mbrune Posts: 54
    Got my R3 over the weekend. Clearly a more responsive bike that my previous one, super peppy when I put the pedal down and responds great to climbs out of the saddle. Also handles great, I can see where it's a little more reactive than my secteur, but it's certainly not off putting and I doubt it will be tiring. I can still enjoy the countryside while pedaling down the road without fearing that a small twitch will put me in the ditch. It also corners better and feels more connected in a good way than the secteur. So far I'm impressed, of course it's such a big leap from what I had before I suppose anything would have impressed me. Just upgrading from sora/tiagra mix to modern Ultegra is an amazing difference. Can't wait for spring to hit so that I can get my long distance rides going again and really put this thing to the test.

Oh and as far as comfort goes, I can't tell a bit of difference in the comfort, maybe over a long ride I'll feel differently, but so far it seems like the cervelo has a softer back end and a little harsher front end, but to say harsher is really being picky because it's a negligible difference.

Pretty sweet bike, not the lightest out there but fun to ride and feels like a nice balance has been struck between comfort/control/responsiveness/stability.

I need to get a picture uploaded!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    mbrune wrote:
    Oh and as far as comfort goes, I can't tell a bit of difference in the comfort, maybe over a long ride I'll feel differently, but so far it seems like the cervelo has a softer back end and a little harsher front end, but to say harsher is really being picky because it's a negligible difference.

You could improve both of them by changing stem / bars and saddle / seat post, so I wouldn't worry about it. I bought a second hand Enve carbon stem and carbon bars and they feel wonderful, no vibration at all.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I've put about 100 miles on my new R3 in the last week, I changed the saddle and fitted lighter wheels. I have to say I am more than impressed with the comfort aspect of the bike and that wasn't my reason for buying it.