GYM

13»

Comments

• def_defyr
    def_defyr Posts: 93
    After 4 months in the gym, I've found that it serves a number of purposes: Early morning spin classes let me get a workout in and clear my head before going to my job; 2x a week I use a Concept 2 rowing machine for 30 minutes of intervals (1 min at near max; 4 minutes slow n steady, focusing on form) and do a circuit of cycling-specific boot-camp style exercises like burpees and stretching. Just based on what I can do now vs what I could do in December when I started, my core is stronger.

Faster on the bike? Hard to say, but I definitely feel that I can ride longer in more comfort, due to increased core strength and overall flexibility.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Logos wrote:
    Out on the road you can do single leg training for example also.

That's only going to make sense for a rider with only one leg. For everyone else I'd suggest using both.
  • keef66
    As a time crunched hobby cyclist I know all my time is better spent on the bike. Plus I hate gyms. And all the gym subscriptions I haven't paid allow me to spend money on cycling stuff. Win-win I think.
  • def_defyr
    def_defyr Posts: 93
    keef66 wrote:
    As a time crunched hobby cyclist I know all my time is better spent on the bike. Plus I hate gyms. And all the gym subscriptions I haven't paid allow me to spend money on cycling stuff. Win-win I think.

Can't argue with that logic, to a point. I live in the center of Paris so going for a ride during the week is near impossible until it stays light till 2030 or so when I can spin around Longchamps. Otherwise it's 20-30 minutes just to get to some clear roads. So the gym it is.
  • keef66
    Def Defyr wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Can't argue with that logic, to a point. I live in the center of Paris so going for a ride during the week is near impossible until it stays light till 2030 or so when I can spin around Longchamps. Otherwise it's 20-30 minutes just to get to some clear roads. So the gym it is.

Fair point; opposite for me. I turn left out of the drive into miles of Suffolk lanes. Going to the gym involves heading across town and parting with some money...