Campagnolo square taper BB fits one side but not the other ...

2»

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    keef66 wrote:
    thats true in my mind i was thinking of Whitworth thread angle of 55deg

How nostalgic! Proper engineering back in the day when we still had an empire! :D

I am indeed that old :) hence random bits of info appear at the wrong time. Confused i think they call it.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    keef66 wrote:

How nostalgic! Proper engineering back in the day when we still had an empire! :D

:D I think I am one of the few who read this and know what you are talking about.
  • Vino'sGhost
    lesfirth wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

:D I think I am one of the few who read this and know what you are talking about.

It’s unusual for two people to understand anything I say. :)
  • Pinno wrote:
    The new(ish) thing is 'super compact' which almost totally negates triples.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/prod ... ing-308008
    Nothing very new about them. I've been riding 50.4 BCD cranks setup as low range doubles since the 1970s. Here's one I still have in current use, with 40-28 chainrings:

LlUcuYR7lRz2X_I289rIsc8RGjPEvFl_sWA9wefxUweOIgclWon33CGavyWQ9NQoCMldwI0kbE0fZZprQ2Qs0EY0HtMBMEV4Rdc0RyXY7tRrT6_KfVROPu2QvOGTIbbtKlgQG6x_kQ=w1200
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I know the touring bike world has long been familiar with super compact doubles and triples, and chainrings of every conceivable type, but generally they use square taper BBs so they may not be seen as current technology.

Now with the creation of Gravel bikes as another niche, suddenly super compact is being reinvented!

Gravel bikes offered with a 50/34 road chainset make little sense, but MTB transmission seem to be defaulting to 1X setups, so there is a bit of a gap in the market for a modern looking 10/11 speed super compact chainset compatible with the current crop of BB shells / standards.

The only thing which surprises me is how slowly they are appearing
  • If you want a modern set of cranks with integrated axle for use with ultra-compact chainrings, I reckon the Sugino OX series is pretty good. It has a 24mm axle (the bearings are interchangeable with Shimano's), uses standard 110BCD for the outer chainring and 74BCD for the inner, so chainrings are widely available in almost any combination of sizes you want, and it has the correct road chainline of 43.5mm (unlike MTB cranks) and considerably narrower tread than MTB cranks. Here's an OX801 mounted on a BB386EVO frame and running 39-26 chainrings. Sugino also make the useful braze-on FD mounting adapter that you can see in the same photo, enabling the FD to be mounted lower for use with smaller chainrings than the tab position on the frame would otherwise allow:

QsxL5pS-NPXwmSDk_4GY8uV_Q9SqgOFH8CNbFtEMwnskGN5ZOqJnHQDinoxAYqKhrigadPyO6kQMl_S9N1fG8AeYDPF8PsG4whuqlpCQna_Tl8kYs9e4PXKy7yNDVkeUsbmKL3VyRw=w1200
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    Is this like every generation thinking that they have invented sex because their parents would never have done something like this? :lol::lol::lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Is this like every generation thinking that they have invented sex because their parents would never have done something like this? :lol::lol::lol:

I did invent sex, and helped with sin. It's not a well known fact, but I am actually Adam. S'true.

43689070020_7c4b4357f1_b.jpg

The fig leaf is real. God was a bit of a pervy bugger though, as Eve is my sister.

I may regret posting this.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Vino'sGhost
    lolol funny pic :)
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    43843666630_49b82d9779.jpg

For anyone interested in this, I fitted a new Centaur cartridge bottom bracket from Wiggle last night and it fitted fine. Well, I nearly stripped the threads on the flimsy aluminium left cup, actually. But it fitted.

So the first one was clearly wrongly marked as Italian thread when it was English.

After months dithering, I have fitted a Campag Record triple. Because it looks so good, though a 48/34 compact would suited me fine on a 10 speed.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I do like a happy ending! And pleasing to see copperslip on the threads and the axle / crank interface.

(Cue a blizzard of advice about fitting square taper cranks dry, and the perils of lubricants / over-tightening / crank splitting...)
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    keef66 wrote:
    I do like a happy ending! And pleasing to see copperslip on the threads and the axle / crank interface.

(Cue a blizzard of advice about fitting square taper cranks dry, and the perils of lubricants / over-tightening / crank splitting...)

Hadn't realised there was any theology around copper grease on cranks. Never given me any problems on any bike.

The only hiccup - expected, really - was that this does not shift comfortably with the double Centaur front derailleur.

I have bought a new Ultegra one for £20, because Campagnolo is such a pain to find and, frankly, the Centaur was not worth the money.