Rapha @wiggle

2»

Comments

• big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:
    We'll all pay more for something if it makes us comfortable, or feel better etc. regardless of its utility or quality. Radley handbags being a case in point ( although to be fair these do seem good quality). Mrs Harv currently has 7. Ask your female partners/friends-they'll say she's very lucky. And I am a legend, as each one was an easy present gratefully received.

This is my opinion, expressed on the internet therefore is truth.
    My wife, like many other women, thinks Radley handbags are shite.

Handbags! :wink: To me they're all a black hole where car keys disappear.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Deep joy. I bet there's people queuing up now to pay £300 for a pair of shorts and a jersey safe in the knowledge that they'll get free postage AND a bag of Haribos.

I would say that having better postage is most defintily a plus.

rapha.cc postage was always bloomin' useless! Took them over a week to send me something from East London to West London once...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Wiggle delivery arrived today with Haribo and £60 wine voucher. For a £30 order. Hic..... :mrgreen:
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    Some pretty hefty discounts appearing on the Wiggle Rapha gear now...
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Some pretty hefty discounts appearing on the Wiggle Rapha gear now...

Thanks for the heads up just bought the classic winter jacket £156 down from £260 and a few other bits and pieces.
  • It's fair to point out it's discounts on archive stuff which is pretty much what Rapha were knocking out to treasure4u on ebay and Sport Pursuit.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Big discounts (although not as big as some Rapha sales) on winter base layers and Pro Team bib tights. I may just have spent slightly more than I planned to. The LS winter base is fantastic, IMO (the regular one, not the one with the integrated balaclava), and the SS softshell base (while weird as f**k to look at and put on - like part of a gimp suit) lets you wear a summer jersey in almost any weather. Which is helpful for club kit and general posing.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I like the SS Base Layer Soft Shell Gimp Suit, good for short rides in the cold (1 hour training ride for example)
    The only problem with it is the sizing. Its too short. I'm only 5 foot 8, the size small fits me in the body and I'm a small in Raphia pro race, but the soft shell base layer is almost like a belly top. I've even got the 2nd generation one where they added the small bit of extra fabric to make it longer...still for a base layer it isn't long enough.
    For long rides involving a coffee shop wearing the gimp suit, I end up a bit cold. Being so short it tends to not keep the lower back warm, plus I sweat like mad in it, so after a 30 minute stop I'm starting to get cold.
    But for short intense rides I really rate it.
  • I have a craft one of what you describe with a windproof front. I am slim but taller and the length in the body is great.

https://www.evanscycles.com/craft-activ ... r-EV309545?

but short sleeves
  • Mia Mars wrote:
    Rapha is extremely overpriced. Being on Wiggle isn’t going to help them much. No sane person would spend £200 on a pair of shorts.

Compared to many other brands they are cheaper. Plus, you get free repairs and a 50% off downsizing offer. I'm pretty sure many others don't offer the same.

I used to buy Castelli's higher end kit and recently tried a few Rapha pieces...now I'm hooked, Understated design and very comfortable. Only buy in the sales (which are often) or from the archive store (or Wiggle on plat discount) and they are actually cheaper than other premium brands.

£200 on a pair of shorts that last, and are comfy for 100+ mile rides is a bargain in my book.
  • FYI, Wiggle seem to have removed the discount for gold/plat customers. It was there last week but no longer working.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    WheelMeals wrote:
    PS: Sigma Sports have just outdone both though by including some premo Jelly Belly beans in each order.
    Having recently had a Sigma order and accompanying jelly beans arrive, I've got to say that some of those flavours are revolting!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Mia Mars wrote:
    Rapha is extremely overpriced. Being on Wiggle isn’t going to help them much. No sane person would spend £200 on a pair of shorts.

I'm not particularly for or against Rapha but why wouldn't a 'sane person' pay £200 if they wanted them and could afford them? Given the number of people that I see riding in Rapha kit, according to the above, a fair proportion of cyclists out there are insane - a bit weird, yes but insane, I don't think so.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I think the bulk of "sane" people just raid it when its on offer to be fair. I have a pair of gloves an a deep winter hat both were priced similar to others an work just as well as others. Theres plenty of other brands offering similarly daft priced kit.

Also agree the beans Sigma send are horrible, I'll stick with the haribo.
  • As others have said Rapha is cheap in comparison to some other brands but the quality is great and their customer service is outstanding with the 50% off if you go down a size etc. I tend to wear it in the winter where I need more layers but wear nicer stuff in the summer.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    IMO Rapha could only possibly be considered 'cheap' if it's in the sales. It also seems like some people are people confusing value and price. £200 is not cheap for a pair of bibshorts, at all. But if they are more comfortable and last 4x times longer than a budget pair than it's a good 'investment' if you can afford it.

I find Rapha stuff pretty poor quality in comparison to other 'premium' brands. I have a jersey from them that I bought second hand, it's only ok and not my favorite. I ordered a rain jacket from them and sent it straight back as the fit was awful. I also bought some of their super expensive bibshorts on a discount (~£200 down to £67). I thought 'bargin' and bought 3 pairs thinking that would do me. However, after wearing one pair a few times I sent them all back. Some of the worst fitting bibshorts I had, I would reach for the £20 DHB before and only wore the Rapha's when everything else was in the wash.

However, the Castelli Alpha winter jacket that I got for £100, most would probably consider 'premium', is an absolutely fantastic bit of kit. Huge temperature range, good weather protection but also somehow very breathable, fit is spot on and, imo, looks very good too.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Different brands fit different people.

We need a bit more Queer Eye for the Straight Guy in here...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver