Rapha @wiggle

bendertherobot
bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
edited November 2018 in Road general
From tomorrow apparently
My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
Facebook? No. Just say no.

Comments

• Yip. Some parts of the range. Not all.

What with the Apple hook up, the new World Tour Team (plus) sponsorship deal and now spreading out to the biggest online bike retailer, the company that the haters claimed was doing an Evans* because they downsized by 80 staff seems to be doing quite well.

*I'm aware they used to sell via Evans many years back.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,679
    From tomorrow apparently
    I've just got an erection.
  • I'd suspect, like the Evans deal, Rapha will control any discounts/sales to their own store. That's pretty much what it said in the mail shot. They'll no doubt put a cap on what Wiggle can sell stuff for, codes etc.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    Blimey. That will upset the Rapharati won't it?

I blame Wiggle.

Tis there now:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rapha/?sr=rapha
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    I wonder if Wiggle will be able to sell it at any sort of discount...

Fox (Foxus Suspendus) used to stop that with their kit.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'd never consider buying Rapha at full price and if Wiggle aren't allowed to discount /shrug
  • ddraver wrote:

Read many posts?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    The usual Wiggle loyalty discounts are applied. So it’s cheaper than buying direct from Rapha.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Read many posts?
    Gweeds wrote:
    The usual Wiggle loyalty discounts are applied. So it’s cheaper than buying direct from Rapha.

:lol::lol::lol:
    - @ddraver
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    but it looks to be just the standard core, though not just "the core" part, range. If thats all Rapha sold theyd be soon be out of business IMO, some jerseys and shorts in one colour scheme, theyve not exactly sold themselves out, maybe its just getting rid of overstock.

certainly Im not rushing to fill a basket at Wiggle.
  • ddraver
    edited October 2018
    This maybe becasue I'm in Holland, but I can see bits of the classics/Souplesse and ProTeam ranges too.

You're right, not much choice though. Simple short & jersey combo only and limited colours.

Having been gently informed by a clubmate that one pair of my shorts were no longer acceptable, that's all I really need though...

The other interesting thing for me is that the prices in Euros are clearly converted from (I guess) GBP whereas the Rapha Store have dedicated Euro pricing.
    - @ddraver
  • in the UK you see the pro team range
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,616
    Free shipping on some cheaper stuff will be a bonus.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Gweeds wrote:

Though still not cheaper than the sale or outlet prices. Which is pretty much the only time I buy Rapha...
  • I’ve got a few Rapha bits. One thing that always made me chuckle was given the extensive efforts Rapha have made on their brand, imagery, stores etc....

Is that Wiggle got just as much devotion from me by simply putting in a packet of Haribo in each order ; )

PS: Sigma Sports have just outdone both though by including some premo Jelly Belly beans in each order.
  • Deep joy. I bet there's people queuing up now to pay £300 for a pair of shorts and a jersey safe in the knowledge that they'll get free postage AND a bag of Haribos.
  • Rapha is extremely overpriced. Being on Wiggle isn’t going to help them much. No sane person would spend £200 on a pair of shorts.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,894
    Mia Mars wrote:
    Rapha is extremely overpriced. Being on Wiggle isn’t going to help them much. No sane person would spend £200 on a pair of shorts.
    Rapha are clearly bargain basement compared to Assos! :lol:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-tcampioni ... ib-shorts/
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    Always good when opinion is dressed up as fact.

Clue. Markets aren’t monolithic. Your spending power isn’t anyone else’s spending power.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • carbonclem
    I just bought a winter commuting jacket from Rapha. New release, so full price.

£100

Do people not realise it’s not all top dollar?
  • CarbonClem wrote:

£100

£100 you say, for a communting jacket
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pblakeney
    CarbonClem wrote:

£100

Bargain compared to the £400 for a 7Mesh one. Bashing Rapha for being overpriced when they are far from the most expensive brand seems a touch silly. #reversesnobbery
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/7mesh-revelation-jacket/
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    We'll all pay more for something if it makes us comfortable, or feel better etc. regardless of its utility or quality. Radley handbags being a case in point ( although to be fair these do seem good quality). Mrs Harv currently has 7. Ask your female partners/friends-they'll say she's very lucky. And I am a legend, as each one was an easy present gratefully received.

This is my opinion, expressed on the internet therefore is truth.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Deep joy. I bet there's people queuing up now to pay £300 for a pair of shorts and a jersey safe in the knowledge that they'll get free postage AND a bag of Haribos.

oooh - did someone say Haribo?

#moralibo
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mia Mars wrote:
    Rapha is extremely overpriced. Being on Wiggle isn’t going to help them much. No sane person would spend £200 on a pair of shorts.

but its not as good as Assos.

And Assos has Assos/woman, not skinny man from hoxton.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mia Mars wrote:

but its not as good as Assos.

And Assos has Assos/woman, not skinny man from hoxton.
    Good to know what the extra £120 is being spent on. :wink: FWIW, my Rapha bibs are still being used. My Assos bibs went see through and were binned (bought at the same time and similarly used). My favourite bibs are Red White.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • carbonclem
    CarbonClem wrote:

£100

Insinuating its too much?

I'll wear that in winter months five days a week averaging about 20 miles a day. Going on previous Rapha products I'll say its got five years, easily, in it. If I crash it gets repaired. Its well made, as breathable/waterproof as expected and fits well.

How much should it be?
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Slightly aside, but has anyone else been having problems accessing the Wiggle website? On the PC I'm typing this on, it takes ages to load and then is just text, not the usual webpages. On my phone it's similar, but there are blank spaces where the photos should be.
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:

£100

Insinuating its too much?

I'll wear that in winter months five days a week averaging about 20 miles a day. Going on previous Rapha products I'll say its got five years, easily, in it. If I crash it gets repaired. Its well made, as breathable/waterproof as expected and fits well.

How much should it be?

£30/40
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521
    Big Harv wrote:
    We'll all pay more for something if it makes us comfortable, or feel better etc. regardless of its utility or quality. Radley handbags being a case in point ( although to be fair these do seem good quality). Mrs Harv currently has 7. Ask your female partners/friends-they'll say she's very lucky. And I am a legend, as each one was an easy present gratefully received.

This is my opinion, expressed on the internet therefore is truth.
    My wife, like many other women, thinks Radley handbags are shite.