Degreaser

2»

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I keep one with me in case I get a claggy rim and can just give a quick wipe, clean smooth action afterwards.

Sage advice if ever I heard it.
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    If you need to remove grease, them believe it or not, but de-greaser does a pretty good job! I've never understood the fascination some people have with alternatives like bleach, petrol, vinegar .... just get the product that is designed for the job. Screwfix stuff is cheap and works, it doesn't need to be marketed by a bike company.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,424
    Know what you mean about babywipes. They clean up copper pipes to a lovely shine. I use them for cleaning my chain and as a floss between the cogs on the cassette. All comes up nice and shiney. God knows if they can do that then what do they do to babies' bottoms?

We used to call them "the wet-wipes of woe" in our house

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    3wheeler wrote:
    If you need to remove grease, them believe it or not, but de-greaser does a pretty good job! I've never understood the fascination some people have with alternatives like bleach, petrol, vinegar .... just get the product that is designed for the job. Screwfix stuff is cheap and works, it doesn't need to be marketed by a bike company.

Those 'alternatives' you mention - they are all effectively degreasers (not sure about bleach) - because they are all solvents to some degree or other. Which is what a degreaser is.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    HaydenM wrote:
    I keep one with me in case I get a claggy rim and can just give a quick wipe, clean smooth action afterwards.

Sage advice if ever I heard it.

Phnaar phnaar, snigger.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Get a container of this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-M ... +degreaser

Dilute before use. Always wear gloves and glasses. The neat stuff strips your natural skin oils and will damage your eyes.

Cleans bike parts though.

I dilute it (roughly) 1:2 for general and 2:1 for heavier cleaning. I have put very dirty chains into it neat and regreased them by soaking in lube.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    On a cautionary note regarding "wipes" we used baby wipes to clear food debris from the kids mouths and hands after dinner but if left on the place mats caused delaimantion of the surface.....

Bloody hell :shock: I'm not sure what to think about that TBH. Alarm that such an apparently vicious solvent system is present in a baby wipe, or admiration that a baby's face is more resistant to chemical attack than a place mat.

I'm thinking that the wet flannels we used back in the day to de-grime our offspring were better in every conceivable way...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,369
    Is it not just something damp sitting on the place mat, coupled with whatever is in the wipe - perfume, moisturiser, anti-bacterial agent etc causing the delamination?
    I very, very much doubt that a baby wipe would contain anything harsh.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Well if you leave your house in a mess what do you expect? :)