Degreaser

gleaney
gleaney Posts: 32
edited October 2018 in Workshop
Hi all. Can someone recommend me a good degreaser. I’ve been advised that Muc Off is a bit harsh.
Cheers.

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited October 2018
    Fenwicks FS1.
    1ltr dilutes to make up to 11 litres.About a tenner.
    Fenwicks also do F10 which is pre-diluted so don't confuse the two!
    Just checked £8 at Merlin and it's now green instead of pink

https://www.merlincycles.com/fenwicks-f ... 48315.html

Just goes to show how long 11ltrs lasts :mrgreen:
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Morgan blue. Apply with paintbrush, watch in horror as no end of stuff drips off. Keep off hubs
  • Pagid brake cleaner or some throttle body cleaner for really cleaning the chain. Not sure if it's too aggressive for the frame though.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    A bit harsh? If you're using a degreaser surely you want it to degrease as best it can? If you're worried it's too harsh then maybe you're not using a suitable product for the application.
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    A bit harsh? If you're using a degreaser surely you want it to degrease as best it can? If you're worried it's too harsh then maybe you're not using a suitable product for the application.
    In that case, flammenwurfer 35
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Craigus89 wrote:
    In that case, flammenwurfer 35

Giving suggestions in your namesake?

I like petrol as a degreaser (and i'm not joking) but I suppose I should opt for something more environmentally friendly.
    Might try that Fenwicks stuff.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    I find this very good at cleaning everything!

https://www.autoglym.com/motorcycle-cleaner

Really cuts through grease and grime. Even use it on the Kitchen Splash Back to remove oils from cooking/frying. Works very well and kind enough for frames. I do wipe over with this afterwards:

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/quik-detailer-473ml

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    At around £1.30 per litre, petrol is still pound-for-pound the best value degreaser out there, IMO. Although it does depend on what it is you are 'degreasing' - and why - but as someone else said, if you are finding degreasers too 'harsh' then you might have misunderstood their purpose...
  • sniper68
    Imposter wrote:
    At around £1.30 per litre, petrol is still pound-for-pound the best value degreaser out there, IMO.
    Er Femwicks FS1at full price(£10) works out at £0.90 per litre.
    At Merlins £8 it works out about £0.72 per litre...or almost half the price of Petrol :wink:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    edited October 2018
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    I find this very good at cleaning everything!

https://www.autoglym.com/motorcycle-cleaner

Really cuts through grease and grime. Even use it on the Kitchen Splash Back to remove oils from cooking/frying. Works very well and kind enough for frames. I do wipe over with this afterwards:

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/quik-detailer-473ml

Ah - a petrol head.
    (Bit off topic)
    I find Autoglym products very good (bar the car wax shampoo) and Meguiars the most over rated, expensive car product out there for what it is.
    Autoglym super resin polish for the frame - just a straight Polymer, no cutting agents. Though Kiwami soft99, although a little OTT, is superb for a hydrophobic finish.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    edited October 2018
    Jizer

£30 for 5 litres at your local auto factor.

5l will last you a year at the minimum.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    At around £1.30 per litre, petrol is still pound-for-pound the best value degreaser out there, IMO.
    At Merlins £8 it works out about £0.72 per litre...or almost half the price of Petrol :wink:

I didn't say 'cheapest' though, I said 'best value'. It still has to do the job, or it's not good value. Having said that, I've no idea what the Fenwicks stuff is like as I've never used it...
  • I'm still working my way through some tins of Jizer I bought years ago.

A great degreaser and water soluble but don't know how environmentally friendly it is.
  • photonic69
    Pinno wrote:
    I find Autoglym products very good (bar the car wax shampoo) and Meguiars the moist over rated, expensive car product out there for what it is.

But Meguiars smells ever so nice!!! The Gold Class shampoo is the best I've used on my car by far. The suds actually last until I've finished cleaning the wheels. Yes, Meguiars is expensive but there are far far far more expensive gloop you can apply to cars when you go on the Polished Bliss website :D

• unicorn blood.
  • sniper68
    Imposter wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I didn't say 'cheapest' though, I said 'best value'. It still has to do the job, or it's not good value. Having said that, I've no idea what the Fenwicks stuff is like as I've never used it...
    I’ve used it for years.Best stuff I found for cleaning the MTBs.
    Used neat it’s brilliant for drivetrains.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Having never used them, do these products make much difference to cleaning a bike? Obviously drivetrain is different but I've never used a cleaning product on the bike itself, I just use a hose and a cloth, although I do occasionally use the muc off protect and shine after as I was given it at a race once.

I use some fenwicks foaming degreaser for drivetrain, and some muc off stuff if needed
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    HaydenM wrote:
    Having never used them, do these products make much difference to cleaning a bike? Obviously drivetrain is different but I've never used a cleaning product on the bike itself, I just use a hose and a cloth

Is your bike greasy? If not then no, it won't help at all. I assume this is why the OP may be thinking it's harsh, people use it as an all purpose cleaner which is unnecessary for most applications.
  • haydenm
    Craigus89 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Having never used them, do these products make much difference to cleaning a bike? Obviously drivetrain is different but I've never used a cleaning product on the bike itself, I just use a hose and a cloth

Is your bike greasy? If not then no, it won't help at all. I assume this is why the OP may be thinking it's harsh, people use it as an all purpose cleaner which is unnecessary for most applications.

That's what I thought, I'm used to washing the mud off mtbs so even a winter road ride isn't especially taxing cleaning wise, especially if you spray it down while it's wet
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've found that if I'm really careful with chain lubrication I can get away with a quick wipe down with a rag and a spot of white spirit for many months. Then I'll take the cassette and chain off for a proper clean in whatever solvent* comes to hand, and maybe swap chains when refitting.

I've got white spirit and turps for painting / brush cleaning, brake and clutch cleaner for the cars, and in the past I've used petrol, diesel, paraffin, and 5L of something my dad nicked from the power station in 1972. All similarly effective in cleaning up the shiny bits.

I should really have a go at removing the oily fingerprints from my matt painted carbon frame. They seem impervious to the usual warm soapy water scrub...

Wonder if the pink Muc-Off sample I got in my last goody bag works??
  • photonic69
    keef66 wrote:
    I should really have a go at removing the oily fingerprints from my matt painted carbon frame. They seem impervious to the usual warm soapy water scrub...

Try a BabyWipe. Works very well.

• PhotoNic69 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Try a BabyWipe. Works very well.
    Trade-wipes from toolstation.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    HaydenM wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

That's what I thought, I'm used to washing the mud off mtbs so even a winter road ride isn't especially taxing cleaning wise, especially if you spray it down while it's wet
    That depends on what is used for gritting the roads and de-icing vehicles.
    When the weather conditions are bad I find all sorts of sticky stuff on the underside of my bike.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pinno wrote:

Ah - a petrol head.
    (Bit off topic)
    I find Autoglym products very good (bar the car wax shampoo) and Meguiars the moist over rated, expensive car product out there for what it is.
    Autoglym super resin polish for the frame - just a straight Polymer, no cutting agents. Though Kiwami soft99, although a little OTT, is superb for a hydrophobic finish.

More off topic, I have a tub of soft 99 light coming to play with on the car was going to get some king of wax purely for that stupid beading it can d. Decided to just get the soft 99 as two waxes is a bit much, bikes are white an grey so they may get a dabbling of course.

Degrease wise Morgan blue or if its just a quick spruce up some citrus degreaser in a spray bottle on the chain.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    the morgan blue was a revelation when i started using it
  • haydenm
    PBlakeney wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

That depends on what is used for gritting the roads and de-icing vehicles.
    When the weather conditions are bad I find all sorts of sticky stuff on the underside of my bike.

Presumably not grease or oil though? That would be bloody lethal!

I know what you mean though, once it all mixes with chain lube and things it's quite stubborn
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Think I heard molasses mentioned as a component of road grit to make it stay put for longer.

I may just bag a tub of trade wipes next time I'm in Screwfix. The bloke who did our kitchen worktops and helped me fit the sink had some which were amazingly good at cleaning up the proper Corning silicone, which normally sticks like sh1t to a blanket and gets everywhere when I use it.
  • haydenm
    keef66 wrote:
    Think I heard molasses mentioned as a component of road grit to make it stay put for longer.

I may just bag a tub of trade wipes next time I'm in Screwfix. The bloke who did our kitchen worktops and helped me fit the sink had some which were amazingly good at cleaning up the proper Corning silicone, which normally sticks like sh1t to a blanket and gets everywhere when I use it.

Fair point. Not only safe but delicious too, like salted caramel.

I think the wipes might be a good idea, I find that sprays and things mean I spend more time looking for a rag to wipe the excess so I sometimes just don't bother.
  • HaydenM wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Fair point. Not only safe but delicious too, like salted caramel.

I think the wipes might be a good idea, I find that sprays and things mean I spend more time looking for a rag to wipe the excess so I sometimes just don't bother.
    Tradewipes are great for cleaning down a chain and sprockets in a hurry before a quick relube. Where they excel though is cleaning the rims off. I keep one with me in case I get a claggy rim and can just give a quick wipe, clean smooth action afterwards.
    On a cautionary note regarding "wipes" we used baby wipes to clear food debris from the kids mouths and hands after dinner but if left on the place mats caused delaimantion of the surface. So even baby wipes might not be suitable for some surfaces.