Russians or Saudis

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    FishFish wrote:
    Well there is no 'proof'. But the assertion is that most horses are born in stables
    Ohh Fishbot you are sooo naive, only upper class privileged horses are born in stables the vast majority are born fields, on the plains in the wild etc :roll:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    FishFish wrote:
    Well there is no 'proof'. But the assertion is that most horses are born in stables
    Ohh Fishbot you are sooo naive, only upper class privileged horses are born in stables the vast majority are born fields, on the plains in the wild etc :roll:

To be fair, Doublefish is only guilty of an incompetent response - his original line that being born in a stable statistically makes it likely that you are a horse is correct providing we discount insects etc as Fishsquared did. The assertion that most horses are born in stables is both incorrect and irrelevant.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bianchimoon
    Rolf F wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

To be fair, Doublefish is only guilty of an incompetent response - his original line that being born in a stable statistically makes it likely that you are a horse is correct providing we discount insects etc as Fishsquared did. The assertion that most horses are born in stables is both incorrect and irrelevant.
    Shirley, being born in a stable could make you an Ass?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    It would seem that the West has leverage over Saudi Arabia and Russia has leverage over the West.

Russia has Brexit and it has the GOP. Those are the most visible parts of the iceberg.
  • robert88
    Possible Russian president of Interpol raises alarm in West

Interpol eventually chose the South Korean candidate.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Robert88 wrote:
    It would seem that the West has leverage over Saudi Arabia and Russia has leverage over the West.

Russia has Brexit and it has the GOP. Those are the most visible parts of the iceberg.

incorrect - the west has no leverage at all over saudi - just look at recent events.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Russians (literally I think) wrote the book on social control, which includes meedja.
  • Matthewfalle
    FishFish wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Also, no Scotsman would ever refer to themselves as “scotch”.
    That’s a drink.

I was born in Fort William (Fort Bill to us scotch) and grew up in Eocher ( Iochdar to the true scotch) / Inverness and my Alma Mater is The University. (That is how us scotch refer to Glasgow University).

Your sexist remark discriminates against scotch 'women' and you can wonder why I've encapsulated the object but I as a European dismiss my heritage as unimportant. For completeness I also dismiss scotchland as unimportant.

The drink is not 'scotch' as you put it but Scotch - I'll leave it abbreviated in case I misspell Whiskey.

no you weren't - in previous posts you said you were born in Bristol.

how bizarre.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    FishFish wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    That’s a drink.

I was born in Fort William (Fort Bill to us scotch) and grew up in Eocher ( Iochdar to the true scotch) / Inverness and my Alma Mater is The University. (That is how us scotch refer to Glasgow University).

Your sexist remark discriminates against scotch 'women' and you can wonder why I've encapsulated the object but I as a European dismiss my heritage as unimportant. For completeness I also dismiss scotchland as unimportant.

The drink is not 'scotch' as you put it but Scotch - I'll leave it abbreviated in case I misspell Whiskey.

how bizarre.

you also said that you went to a different poly.

again, how bizarre.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FishFish wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    That’s a drink.

how bizarre.

again, how bizarre.

#sleuth
  • Matthewfalle
    FishFish wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    That’s a drink.

how bizarre.

again, how bizarre.

#sleuth

#upstairsforthinkingdownstairsfordancing.........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • robert88
    Robert88 wrote:

incorrect - the west has no leverage at all over saudi - just look at recent events.

Not with Trump, I grant you but..

Top Republicans slam Trump for statement backing Saudi Arabia

I guess they aren't too happy at the USA playing poodle.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Meanwhile the UK is doing the same as the USA.
    Just more discretely.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    FishFish wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    That’s a drink.

OK the spelling of the drink was a joke yes?

Scotch with or without a capital is normally applied to the drink whisky or the mutton pies and other foods etc, e.g. it's a scotch egg not a Scotch Egg.

I've never heard if Glasgow being referred to as "The University" though and my mum got her degree there in the 1950s.

I feel that perhaps I'm not party to a previous conversation here?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Matthewfalle
    FishFish wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    That’s a drink.

OK the spelling of the drink was a joke yes?

Scotch with or without a capital is normally applied to the drink whisky or the mutton pies and other foods etc, e.g. it's a scotch egg not a Scotch Egg.

I've never heard if Glasgow being referred to as "The University" though and my mum got her degree there in the 1950s.

I feel that perhaps I'm not party to a previous conversation here?

unfortunately the spelling was not a mistake. he/she has done it previously many times.

he/she didn't go to GU - he/she has already confirmed several times the he/she allegedly went somewhere else.

he/she also likes a bit of copying and pasting from Wikipedia on certain subjects........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    born in fort william, eh..... what a coincedence.

quel surprise! who woudda thunk it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Anyway, setting aside the fishbot for the moment.

Russians. Saudis. And now add to the list Emiratis.

Jeremy Hunt says he’s doing all he can to assist in the Matthew Hedges jailing case. So that’ll be square root of f all then? Let me think, one jailed Brit vs mega arms sales, mega arms sales vs one jailed Brit, hmmm...
  • robert88
    Meanwhile as we break step with our neighbours Putin's Russia rears its ugly head in Ukraine
    Maja Kocijancic, spokesperson for the European Union, said in a statement: "We expect Russia to restore freedom of passage at the Kerch strait and urge all to act with utmost restraint to de-escalate the situation immediately.

"As clearly stated by the High Representative at the European Parliament recently, the events in the Sea of Azov are a demonstration of how instability and tensions are bound to rise when the basic rules of international cooperation are disregarded," the statement added.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Possibility of it all kicking off has been raised significantly.
    And we are worried by Brexit?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bianchimoon
    Could it be that the Russians feel emboldened by their success with brexit and trump and this is as good an opportunity as they’ll get to take control of the Kerch Strait and damage Ukraine even more?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Could it be that the Russians feel emboldened by their success with brexit and trump and this is as good an opportunity as they’ll get to take control of the Kerch Strait and damage Ukraine even more?

Usually, since Putin solidified his position, Russian beligerance coincides with lower oil prices.

This is no different.

(Sample of one)
  • orraloon wrote:

Jeremy Hunt says he’s doing all he can to assist in the Matthew Hedges jailing case. So that’ll be square root of f all then? Let me think, one jailed Brit vs mega arms sales, mega arms sales vs one jailed Brit, hmmm...

In fairness, he did managed to get the pardon.
  • DeVlaeminck

I was going to agree but.... "their success" ?

The West missed the opportunity to forge a better relationship with post Soviet Russia when it took advantage of their weakness. To an extent Putin and his actions are a reaction to that. They felt threatened and as a result will take advantage of our weaknesses as we did theirs.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481

The West missed the opportunity to forge a better relationship with post Soviet Russia when it took advantage of their weakness. To an extent Putin and his actions are a reaction to that. They felt threatened and as a result will take advantage of our weaknesses as we did theirs.

I wish it was as binary as you suggest.

Unfortunately the Russian cost for WW2 was the highest in terms of lives of any nation, add 40 years of Cold War provides a understanding Russian beliefs, thinking and behaviours.

To a lesser degree those three drivers have shaped the wests activity which means the cycle of mistrust and stepping on the throat of a long time adversary is an easier path than reconciliation.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • DeVlaeminck
    Slowmart wrote:

I wish it was as binary as you suggest.

Unfortunately the Russian cost for WW2 was the highest in terms of lives of any nation, add 40 years of Cold War provides a understanding Russian beliefs, thinking and behaviours.

To a lesser degree those three drivers have shaped the wests activity which means the cycle of mistrust and stepping on the throat of a long time adversary is an easier path than reconciliation.

You'll have to explain why you think I've presented it as binary. I actually agree with what you say but it seems along the same lines as my post.

There was an opportunity post Soviet Union to at least try to forge a new relationship which wasn't built on opposition and mistrust but the West has to take some blame for riding roughshod over Russian sensibilities and interests.
  • robert88
    One of the issues that shapes Putin's view is the US interference in the USSR/Afghan war. There's strong evidence the US administration provoked the Soviet invasion for ideological reasons and because the US was jealous of Soviet influence in the region.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    @DV

My apologies sir as I’ve re read your post properly and see my point was incorrect.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • robert88
    Trump refuses to condemn Russian aggression against Ukraine

Very fine people on both sides..
    When asked how he felt about the clash, Trump said, "not good. Not happy about it at all." He seemed reluctant to blame Russia, adding, "we do not like what's happening either way. And hopefully it will get straightened out."
    Trump spoke to reporters just days before he is expected to meet with President Vladimir Putin at a G20 meeting in Argentina.
    "It's striking that Washington was silent on this yesterday," said Pifer, a former US ambassador to Ukraine. He added that Trump's restraint does not position him well for the anticipated meeting with Putin.
    "It just leaves Putin feeling he can play Trump, whereas a forthright statement might even earn a measure of respect from the Russians," Pifer said. "I don't think the Russians would respect what they're seeing right now out of this administration," he said, referring to the White House and State Department failure to comment promptly.

Whether it's Saudi Arabia or Russia, our real problem is the USA and its president.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    orraloon wrote:

We-ell, the bloke is outtathere, fair enough. Whether Jeremy Rhyming-Slang had much involvement? Maybe UK Gummint just put a bit of a sweetener on a current arms contract, knowwhadimean? One example current deal picked at random: https://www.baesystems.com/en/article/m ... f-16-fleet
  • orraloon wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

We-ell, the bloke is outtathere, fair enough. Whether Jeremy Rhyming-Slang had much involvement? Maybe UK Gummint just put a bit of a sweetener on a current arms contract, knowwhadimean? One example current deal picked at random: https://www.baesystems.com/en/article/m ... f-16-fleet

Oh quite. I am not saying HOW they did it, but they did it nonetheless.

It's funny how someone sentenced to life in prison can be pardoned overnight. I wonder if the UAE actually wanted to make an example of him to dissuade others and that his specific crime wasn't actually that bad, although based on the title of his degree, he was skating on thin ice. It seems quiet a few of these totalitarian states are able to release people all of a sudden as if the crime had never been committed.