Is this cracked

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    its not falsely advertised.

its a private auction between two private sellers with the item described in words and pictures as far as the private seller knows in accordance with the requirements of the auction site.

the man in the street test

caveat emptor

you win the auction you pay for it. its what you do at an auction.

don't waste the man's time.

No, it's Ebay and items are sold as described rather than sold as seen - so if the chainstay is cracked, then the OP can walk away as the item is significantly not as described. Of course, it is up to the OP to make a convincing case that the chainstay actually is cracked but in a dispute Ebay would likely side with the buyer. Except that the seller wants cash so all the Paypal protection goes out the window and they'll just wash their hands of it (at least if there is an issue of cash being handed over and wanted back).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    trek_dan wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:
    Thanks for the responses. If I win the auction I'll take a strong look at it before giving over my money. Just wanted to make sure nobody obviously said buy or ride that.
    Once you've won the auction its yours, The seller has been very reasonable sending you a close up photograph of the area.

If I win the auction and it is cracked I’m not going to buy it. If the seller doesn’t say it in the description then I’m allowed to not take it. I’m not going to spend money on a bike that could kill me even if I have won the auction.
    Good luck with that!

Good luck with what?
    How EBay works.
    You cough up the money before getting the bike.

He wants cash on collection

Then you need to go and view it BEFORE you bid not after you win the auction. That's how Ebay works. He's shown you the photos so you can't exactly say after you buy it the item isn't as described. If you don't want to take the risk then buy new. You can't have it both ways, get a 'bargain' bike and it expect it to be in better condition than shown on the photos.

I disagree. I would expect a seller to disclose if they were selling something that may kill me.

He doesn't know if it's going to kill you though does he? He's advertised a bike for sale and published pictures showing damage. There are certain circumstances where you can retract eBay bids but I can't remember exactly what they are. FWIW it looks like a simple paint chip to me but if you were in any doubt then you should've asked questions before bidding. That's nobody's fault but your own I'm afraid
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Deluded.

So to confirm if I win an auction on something that is falsely advertised then I am in the wrong if I don’t pay?
    I am cynical.
    Why is it cash on collection? Take friends. And bats.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Deluded.

So to confirm if I win an auction on something that is falsely advertised then I am in the wrong if I don’t pay?
    I am cynical.
    Why is it cash on collection? Take friends. And bats.

Perhaps somebody doesn’t want to pay a PayPal fee. I doubt hitting him with bats would fix a carbon frame but what do I know.
  • Shortfall wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:
    Thanks for the responses. If I win the auction I'll take a strong look at it before giving over my money. Just wanted to make sure nobody obviously said buy or ride that.
    Once you've won the auction its yours, The seller has been very reasonable sending you a close up photograph of the area.

If I win the auction and it is cracked I’m not going to buy it. If the seller doesn’t say it in the description then I’m allowed to not take it. I’m not going to spend money on a bike that could kill me even if I have won the auction.
    Good luck with that!

Good luck with what?
    How EBay works.

Then you need to go and view it BEFORE you bid not after you win the auction. That's how Ebay works. He's shown you the photos so you can't exactly say after you buy it the item isn't as described. If you don't want to take the risk then buy new. You can't have it both ways, get a 'bargain' bike and it expect it to be in better condition than shown on the photos.

I disagree. I would expect a seller to disclose if they were selling something that may kill me.

He doesn't know if it's going to kill you though does he? He's advertised a bike for sale and published pictures showing damage. There are certain circumstances where you can retract eBay bids but I can't remember exactly what they are. FWIW it looks like a simple paint chip to me but if you were in any doubt then you should've asked questions before bidding. That's nobody's fault but your own I'm afraid

Even if you say something different that is not how either eBay works nor the law.
  • its not falsely advertised.

its a private auction between two private sellers with the item described in words and pictures as far as the private seller knows in accordance with the requirements of the auction site.

the man in the street test

caveat emptor

you win the auction you pay for it. its what you do at an auction.

don't waste the man's time.

Don’t waste other people’s time on the forum with false information. That is just not true. Neither eBay or my consumer rights agree with you.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Shortfall wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

Good luck with that!

Good luck with what?
    How EBay works.

Even if you say something different that is not how either eBay works nor the law.

Well seeing as how you seem to know everything already I wonder why you came on this forum bleating about bidding on a frame you don't want to actually win. You are Bungle and I claim my five pounds.
  • Shortfall wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

Good luck with that!

Good luck with what?
    How EBay works.

Well seeing as how you seem to know everything already I wonder why you came on this forum bleating about bidding on a frame you don't want to actually win. You are Bungle and I claim my five pounds.

The original post was on a paint chip but then trollers/spammers decided to go off topic.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I feel that explaining to somebody intending to buy a frame on Ebay how Ebay works to be entirely on topic to be fair.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Buying a carbon frame with superficial paint damage is a good way to get a bargain if you are confident that the damage is only cosmetic . Bidding should reflect this but once you have bid - in full knowledge that the frame is damaged - you should feel committed to pay up.
    If you don't feel confident that any damage is purely cosmetic and harbour suspicions that it is in fact structural then don't bid.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • You asked a question, we answered the question, you spat out your dummy and had a hissy fit. Why bother asking if you are unable to accept answers?
    Are you bungle or manc33?