Is this cracked

DylanMurphy
DylanMurphy Posts: 39
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am buying a bike from eBay and before I bid on it I just wanted to know what you though about one of the pictures. The bike is carbon and it looks like some paint has come off. What do you think about the picture? Thanks. https://preview.ibb.co/jdHsR9/Screenshot_2018_10_08_at_21_01_02.png

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't see any sign of a crack just chipped paint.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Agree with Cougie. I’d probably try and see it before parting with any cash just to be sure though.
    Strangely it looks very similar to an old Madone I used to have, same colour as well.
  • Thanks for the responses. If I win the auction I'll take a strong look at it before giving over my money. Just wanted to make sure nobody obviously said buy or ride that.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    Chain slap chip. In my opinion.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • trek_dan wrote:
    Thanks for the responses. If I win the auction I'll take a strong look at it before giving over my money. Just wanted to make sure nobody obviously said buy or ride that.
    Once you've won the auction its yours, The seller has been very reasonable sending you a close up photograph of the area.

If I win the auction and it is cracked I’m not going to buy it. If the seller doesn’t say it in the description then I’m allowed to not take it. I’m not going to spend money on a bike that could kill me even if I have won the auction.
  • pblakeney
    trek_dan wrote:
    Thanks for the responses. If I win the auction I'll take a strong look at it before giving over my money. Just wanted to make sure nobody obviously said buy or ride that.
    Once you've won the auction its yours, The seller has been very reasonable sending you a close up photograph of the area.

If I win the auction and it is cracked I’m not going to buy it. If the seller doesn’t say it in the description then I’m allowed to not take it. I’m not going to spend money on a bike that could kill me even if I have won the auction.
    Good luck with that!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Personally, if it was me going for this, I wouldn’t risk it. You just don’t know exactly what has caused that damage, it could be something to do with chain slap, or debris having bounced up and chipped the paint. It could be damage caused by bikes being pushed into it, in a bike rack or similar. Given that C.F. really tends not to like shock very much, and that it could be more than a bit of chipped paint, I wouldn’t risk it, especially as the problem is on a chain stay, and it’s a Carbon frame.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Personally, if it was me going for this, I wouldn’t risk it. You just don’t know exactly what has caused that damage, it could be something to do with chain slap, or debris having bounced up and chipped the paint. It could be damage caused by bikes being pushed into it, in a bike rack or similar. Given that C.F. really tends not to like shock very much, and that it could be more than a bit of chipped paint, I wouldn’t risk it, especially as the problem is on a chain stay, and it’s a Carbon frame.

It's not cracked, Nick. There is no sign of a crack there. That's just superficial paint damage.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

Good luck with that!

Good luck with what?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Funny enough, I once broke a CF Trek frame in exactly that position. It was a bit baffling - I went to pedal off from the lights, and the back wheel wouldn't go round.

I got off, spun the wheel, it seemed true.

As soon as any force was applied to the chain it pulled the wheel against the non-drive side chainstay, so it wouldn't go round.

Eventually I clocked the big crack in my chainstay, walked home.

That doesn't look to me like chain slap - looks more like chain-suck, when you shift from the big ring to the small ring but the chain gets stuck to the big ring (then usually jams against the front derailleur).

As to whether this has damaged the CF depends on a couple of things - how forceful the rider was pedalling when the chain suck occured, and how it was freed - be that by carefully pulling it off the chainring or by trying to force it loose with the pedals....

Certainly, it looks like fairly minor contact as these things go - it might have caused *some* damage to the frame, but I would imagine not sufficient damage to make it dangerous to ride (not least because, as noted above, chainstay failures tend not to result in a crash unless you are unlucky). My Giant TCR has a similar (but worse) gouge in the chainstay, and has been ridden for another three years without any drama (although I was pretty upset at the time!)

My luck is such that I don't buy any bike except vintage second hand - I've killed too many frames. Having a warranty for those occasions is much nicer than being out of pocket.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    TimothyW wrote:

My luck is such that I don't buy any bike except vintage second hand - I've killed too many frames. Having a warranty for those occasions is much nicer than being out of pocket.

How are you killing these frames ? I've not broken a frame in 35 years of cycling - some other components yeah...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Fenix wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

How are you killing these frames ? I've not broken a frame in 35 years of cycling - some other components yeah...

Primarily it's that I weigh 120kg, but also that my sprint touches 1500w and I ride 140 commuter miles a week, with a fair amount of stop starting.

Thankfully I haven't broken a frame for about a year and a half. On the other hand that might mean I'm due.... :lol:
  • Imposter wrote:
    Personally, if it was me going for this, I wouldn’t risk it. You just don’t know exactly what has caused that damage, it could be something to do with chain slap, or debris having bounced up and chipped the paint. It could be damage caused by bikes being pushed into it, in a bike rack or similar. Given that C.F. really tends not to like shock very much, and that it could be more than a bit of chipped paint, I wouldn’t risk it, especially as the problem is on a chain stay, and it’s a Carbon frame.

It's not cracked, Nick. There is no sign of a crack there. That's just superficial paint damage.

Without an ultrasound, you can’t know that. Given the position of the problem, I wouldn’t chance it personally.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

Good luck with that!

Good luck with what?
    How EBay works.
    You cough up the money before getting the bike.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    i wouldn't buy that. why bother? if it is a Trek as someone has said above then its boring and ugly and there are millions of them everywhere so its no great loss.

just buy something that isn't chipped/scratched/broken.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

Without an ultrasound, you can’t know that. Given the position of the problem, I wouldn’t chance it personally.

Are you serious? (don't answer that Nick, because I know you're just trolling again, with your latest username)
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    There's other bikes available on eBay. Buy one of those instead?
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

Good luck with that!

Good luck with what?
    How EBay works.

He wants cash on collection
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

Good luck with that!

Good luck with what?
    How EBay works.

Then you need to go and view it BEFORE you bid not after you win the auction. That's how Ebay works. He's shown you the photos so you can't exactly say after you buy it the item isn't as described. If you don't want to take the risk then buy new. You can't have it both ways, get a 'bargain' bike and it expect it to be in better condition than shown on the photos.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

Good luck with that!

Good luck with what?
    How EBay works.

Take friends.
    And bats.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Matthewfalle
    is this MileMuncher bloke again?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0

killerclown? Yes.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

killerclown? Yes.

why does he keep on coming back with all these different names? does he keep getting banned?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • trek_dan wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

Good luck with that!

Good luck with what?
    How EBay works.

Then you need to go and view it BEFORE you bid not after you win the auction. That's how Ebay works. He's shown you the photos so you can't exactly say after you buy it the item isn't as described. If you don't want to take the risk then buy new. You can't have it both ways, get a 'bargain' bike and it expect it to be in better condition than shown on the photos.

I disagree. I would expect a seller to disclose if they were selling something that may kill me.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    trek_dan wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

Good luck with that!

Good luck with what?
    How EBay works.

I disagree. I would expect a seller to disclose if they were selling something that may kill me.

What one reasonable person might consider a paint chip another might consider a death trap
  • It's auction, you are bidding to buy. If you are unsure you need to view before bidding.
  • It's auction, you are bidding to buy. If you are unsure you need to view before bidding.

My consumer rights would disagree with you. And the terms of eBay.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Deluded.

So to confirm if I win an auction on something that is falsely advertised then I am in the wrong if I don’t pay?
  • You have the perfect right to walk away from an ebay auction win if the bike isn't as listed or omit's important information about its condition.

The brittle nature of carbon and the fact a micro-crack can form internally and take time to work through and destroy the frame means a visual check is only part of the story. As someone I'm sure has pointed out a carbon frame has to be scanned to be checked for issues with proper equipment. Even in the manuals of bikes it often states if you have an accident with aluminium or steel frame bikes give it a thorough inspection before riding again but it's normal to state for carbon bikes take it to your dealer in the same circumstances. Carbon forks are the most prone to failure so definitely spend some time there. Carbon forks and frames are the worst for JRL (just riding along) failures. Steel tends to give you notice of failure, frame feel changes, aluminium may form external cracks with fatigue that can be spotted with inspection but a carbon frame can fail dramatically even with regular inspection.

Lots of great info here;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY9JUM ... Hpb_zbIedQ
  • Matthewfalle
    its not falsely advertised.

its a private auction between two private sellers with the item described in words and pictures as far as the private seller knows in accordance with the requirements of the auction site.

the man in the street test

caveat emptor

you win the auction you pay for it. its what you do at an auction.

don't waste the man's time.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.