Seemingly trivial questions that vex you

orraloon
orraloon Posts: 12,607
edited November 2018 in The cake stop
This one doesn't sit well in the 'Annoy' thread so I thought I'd start a new one.

So de Pfeffel Johnson is getting divorced, again, after yet another extra-marital affair, this time by reports with one of his researchers.

The question that vexes is:

How much of either
a) a munter, or
b) a career ladder climbing wannabe
does said researcher have to be to be shagging de Pfeffel?

And for a wee glimpse of his track record, see this linky, to the Daily Heil I know but hey, must be true eh?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -life.html

Comments

• I feel kind of sullied but I clicked on the link, the most interesting thing in my view is the comments below the article. A lot of commentators have the view that what he does in his private life have no bearing on his political life, no view about his ethics or morals? Pretty much the same as Trump, this kind of revelation actually boosts their appeal to a certain kind of voter, and no matter how outrageous the action or comment it’s pretty much in line with what a lot of people think. A backlash against liberal values.
  • orraloon
    There's one part of his anatomy de Pfeffel's been pretty liberal with. :)
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited October 2018
    Elon Musk. He wants to save the environment with electric cars which is fine. Turns out they are excellent and only going to get better. His other hobby is launching rockets into space using tons of fuel in a couple of minutes, which one launch would probably run a thousand cars for a year. What vexes me is he never seems to get picked up on it and doesn't see the hypocrisy, or more likely doesn't care as he sees himself saving humanity by colonising Mars.
  • orraloon
    Is there life on Mars?
  • FocusZing
    This is a very serious vexing which deserve respect!
  • orraloon
    Sorry Mrs Patterson.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    FocusZing wrote:
    Elon Musk. He wants to save the environment with electric cars which is fine. Turns out they are excellent and only going to get better.

Everything could be excellent if made at a huge loss - apparently about $14,000 per car. Musk is of course a deranged maniac who will probably end up being the model for a Bond villain.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Here's one: why start another 'trivial' thread when we already have 2 good ones going? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • FocusZing
    Rolf F wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Elon Musk. He wants to save the environment with electric cars which is fine. Turns out they are excellent and only going to get better.

Everything could be excellent if made at a huge loss - apparently about $14,000 per car. Musk is of course a deranged maniac who will probably end up being the model for a Bond villain.

In general bearing in mind production electric cars have only been around for ten years. They are superior in many comparisons to combustion engines. I have to admire him for kicking it off and making ingrained self interested combustion car manufacures sit up, take note and compete. No question it throws up issues with taxation (hell of a lot of duty on fossil fuels), how the electricity is produced, battery pollution chemistry...

Well, if he manages to tap his brain to the internet I can imagine the cyborg cat.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    "So when is it your turn?"

Asked of me and my better half at every fuck1ng wedding that we attend.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • orraloon
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Here's one: why start another 'trivial' thread when we already have 2 good ones going? :)
    What's wrong with turning one's back on a current arrangement which works well and instead seeking out new 'free' options untrammelled by rules engineered by others?? It's the Brexit spirit, innit.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    FocusZing wrote:
    Elon Musk. He wants to save the environment with electric cars which is fine. Turns out they are excellent and only going to get better. His other hobby is launching rockets into space using tons of fuel in a couple of minutes, which one launch would probably run a thousand cars for a year. What vexes me is he never seems to get picked up on it and doesn't see the hypocrisy, or more likely doesn't care as he sees himself saving humanity by colonising Mars.

one Space X launch uses about the same amount of fuel as a single longhaul flight from LA to Asia, Heathrow in one day probably accounts for the total amount of space launches in a year, just think how many thousands of cars you could run for a year if no-one drove to Heathrow for one day.

plus his rockets are mainly resuable, not single use, and the more we understand about physics,space,technology the more we can come up with clever solutions to saving humanity.

but if you want to criticise a billionaire playing with "space" toys, look no further than old beardie
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    awavey wrote:
    plus his rockets are mainly resuable, not single use, and the more we understand about physics,space,technology the more we can come up with clever solutions to saving humanity.
    Why do humans think they have the right to screw up every planet they can encounter?
    This one is done, move on to the next one. A plague I tell thee!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • FocusZing
    PBlakeney wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    Why do humans think they have the right to screw up every planet they can encounter?

Exactly! Poor bloody planets. If I was Mars I'd be well p1ssed off!
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    What's wrong with turning one's back on a current arrangement which works well and instead seeking out new 'free' options untrammelled by rules engineered by others?? It's the Brexit spirit, innit.
    Sorry, that's unoriginal on 2 counts now.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rolf_f
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Blame Pinno and Oxoman - they seem to have started the trend for trying to unimaginatively snatch high post thread count glory by posting pointlessly derivative ever so slightly differently topic'd threads the posts of which could probably all happily sit in the existing threads. There's a special place in hell for these people.......
  • Do people really measure their worth in terms of threads started and their longevity?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    PBlakeney wrote:
    awavey wrote:

Do rights actually exist?

No
  • rolf_f
    Do people really measure their worth in terms of threads started and their longevity?

In my case, never having started a long lasting thread, no!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Do people really measure their worth in terms of threads started and their longevity?

These people do!

back%20row.jpg
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Blame Pinno and Oxoman - they seem to have started the trend for trying to unimaginatively snatch high post thread count glory by posting pointlessly derivative ever so slightly differently topic'd threads the posts of which could probably all happily sit in the existing threads. There's a special place in hell for these people.......
    Happy to do that Rolf, although I'm disappointed that I'm not on your list as well (although maybe for different reasons) :)
  • pblakeney
    Why would anyone want to go to heaven?
    Have you spent time with the self righteous ......Seems like hell to me. :twisted:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Have you spent time with the self righteous ......Seems like hell to me. :twisted:
    Well we are in Cake Stop...
  • pblakeney
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Well we are in Cake Stop...
    Yeah but, no but....
    This place has nothing on the religious self righteous.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rolf_f
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Happy to do that Rolf, although I'm disappointed that I'm not on your list as well (although maybe for different reasons) :)
    I've got a poor attention span - I'll be happy to add you (credit where credit due blah blah) if you can link me to the thread you shamelessly plagiarised!
  • Stevo_666
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I've got a poor attention span - I'll be happy to add you (credit where credit due blah blah) if you can link me to the thread you shamelessly plagiarised!
    Not my style - clue above...
  • rolf_f
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Not my style - clue above...

OK - I think I see. Naaah, you'll have to try a lot harder to join Pinno and Oxoman! Sorry to disappoint!
  • Stevo_666
    Drat :D
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Total Recall, the one with Arnie.

On Mars, they uncover a VAST machine. Arnie ends up on the surface of the planet, and is dying from lack of atmosphere and oxygen. At this moment, someone activates the machine and it manages to put an atmosphere around the planet in under a minute.

Why did the aliens put so much effort and presumably alien-hours into building such a huge machine, it must have taken them years, when they could have made small one which might have taken two weeks* to do the same job?

(*see what I did there?)

The older I get, the better I was.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,366
    Ben6899 wrote:
    "So when is it your turn?"

Asked of me and my better half at every fuck1ng wedding that we attend.

This is usually asked by older people at family weddings, you should get your own back by asking the same question of them at family funerals . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP