E-Bikes and KOMs

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
edited October 2018 in Road general
Is it just me, or you also find VERY annoying every folk riding an e-bike taking your KOMs?

Wasn’t it nicer for Strava to create a separate class for those blokes?

What do you think?

Comments

• Don't get so hung up on KOMs and other peoples times?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How do you know they're on e bikes ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stop making excuses.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Likewise, isn't it annoying when all those faster cyclists come along and take you KOM's? No respect at all!!!

Enjoy your ride and don't worry about the KOM's.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Was a bit narked off at Ribble saying their new road e-bike is for the KOM hunter...

Might as well do it in a car with that attitude.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    At least they are on bikes, its usually mountain bikers who forget to stop their ride when they drive home.
  • naavt
    edited September 2018
    cougie wrote:

That’s easy!!! When you watch a newb Strava profile that has 0 kms from the past 2 months, 50 yo and a 15 kms ride making more than 10 KOMs around a hilly area that I know like the palms of my hands, something’s off, don’t you agree?

Plus... All the other stopwatches are separated by 1 sec or 2. The new KOM owner has taken more than 30 sec from one segment. I also find that strange, don’t you?
  • E doping
  • naavt
    TimothyW wrote:
    Was a bit narked off at Ribble saying their new road e-bike is for the KOM hunter...

Have seen that also! A bit off from Ribble (or so I think)
  • Just get a chicken chaser (moped) and get yourself back to the top!
  • naavt
    Livewire wrote:
    Just get a chicken chaser (moped) and get yourself back to the top!

That’s a possibility ;)
  • I think are ebikes are great. Anything that encourages some physical activity works for me.

That said, its effing daft to connect to what is in essence a fitness network.
  • cougie
    Flag it up then if it bothers you so much. There is an e bike category.
  • naavt
    cougie wrote:

Didn’t know about those 2!
  • There will be faux outrage in the suburbs when people realise this is happening everyday on their ride leaderboards.It will get tiresome flagging them constantly
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • naavt wrote:
    cougie wrote:

That’s easy!!! When you watch a newb Strava profile that has 0 kms from the past 2 months, 50 yo and a 15 kms ride making more than 10 KOMs around a hilly area that I know like the palms of my hands, something’s off, don’t you agree?

Plus... All the other stopwatches are separated by 1 sec or 2. The new KOM owner has taken more than 30 sec from one segment. I also find that strange, don’t you?

Blimey. You really do need to get a life.

As for the 50 yo comment, I sometimes ride with a guy who is over 70. I'd be very surprised if he can't kick your arse. He can kick mine.

PS At 60+ I still have a few KOMs (Lord knows how) and I couldn't give a toss if an ebiker or the local milkman takes them.
  • Who cares? Unless you have numbers pinned to your back the only race is with yourself.
  • naavt
    edited September 2018
    naavt wrote:
    cougie wrote:

As for the 50 yo comment, I sometimes ride with a guy who is over 70. I'd be very surprised if he can't kick your ars*. He can kick mine.

PS At 60+ I still have a few KOMs (Lord knows how) and I couldn't give a toss if an ebiker or the local milkman takes them.

Sorry! Double post
  • naavt
    edited September 2018

As for the 50 yo comment, I sometimes ride with a guy who is over 70. I'd be very surprised if he can't kick your ars*. He can kick mine.

And that’s why I started to ask if “you - like me - find that annoying”.

I still do respect other people’s way of thinking about things. Fine! You don’t care less about Strava segments. That’s ok and I understand.

For me, it’s a good way to judge my fitness because - as anything else in the world - we humans always take in consideration some kind of reference from other humans!

That’s one of the things I like in Strava, the way it motivates me to do better (seeing what others can do). It would have been great for me to meet your friend and I do believe he can kick my a** (I’m not a Julian Alaphilippe). It would be another motivator for me to improve.

You probably have other motivators and that’s equally fine!

Peace!!!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    More people on bikes/ e-bikes please.
    Please.
    I think you need to see the bigger picture.
  • cougie wrote:

It doesn't bother me at all. I just don't see any point in monitoring assisted activities.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    naavt wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

Me to. Ribble are relatively local to me and given a competitive price I favoured them with my business. I don't think I will do in future.
  • naavt
    JGSI wrote:
    More people on bikes/ e-bikes please.
    Please.
    I think you need to see the bigger picture.

I think you understood me wrong. I’m all in favor of bikes (whatever kind), in a car plagued city! (I commute to work everyday). That’s one thing...

Another is to use a sports driven App and subvert things. Strava created segments for one reason, and that can simply be watching over your own efforts. That’s also fine. But Strava also made segments visible to anyone, and those “anyone” will be classified by time in a segment. That was not a naive move by Strava (or so I think!).

As I told previously, it’s also fine that a few, many or most don’t care about these stuff. We are all different. But one thing is to put your bike on top of your car with the computer going and don’t care less for others.

Another is respecting the next guy who really worked hard to make an achievement.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    naavt wrote:
    Is it just me, or you also find VERY annoying every folk riding an e-bike taking your KOMs?

Personally I don't care but I can understand and empathize with people who find it annoying.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • lesfirth wrote:
    naavt wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

Me to. Ribble are relatively local to me and given a competitive price I favoured them with my business. I don't think I will do in future.

Grow up.
  • cougie
    lesfirth wrote:
    naavt wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

Seriously ?? Because of a throw away line in an advert ? That's ridiculous.

A lot of KOMs are taken now by glory hunters out for short rides when the wind is favourable to their targeted segment. With alerts to let you know when the segment starts and finishes from Garmins - KOMs are meaningless for most of us now. I'm all for e bikes and that Ribble looks the business.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Have to agree it can be annoying if your driven by stats and times on Strava with others blagging KOMs on bikes that are so different in related effort required by the rider.
    I just tend to view Strava for my times against friends and generally ignore KOMs due to the inconsistency in riders/bikes.
    As long as i can be in the top 15% of riders on that segment I know I'm pushing myself. Short segments of less than 1 minute really p*ss me off as anyone of reasonably good fitness can gain a KOM and just bimble for the rest of the ride. It's the longer 4 minute plus segments that show effort and commitment..
  • TonySJ wrote:
    Have to agree it can be annoying if your driven by stats and times on Strava with others blagging KOMs on bikes that are so different in related effort required by the rider.
    I just tend to view Strava for my times against friends and generally ignore KOMs due to the inconsistency in riders/bikes.
    As long as i can be in the top 15% of riders on that segment I know I'm pushing myself. Short segments of less than 1 minute really p*ss me off as anyone of reasonably good fitness can gain a KOM and just bimble for the rest of the ride. It's the longer 4 minute plus segments that show effort and commitment..
    Anyone but you you mean? ;)

People have been cheating with cars etc since Strava started. It'll be a bit harder to tell now as there won't be 70mph etc top speed in sections but still, the people doing it will know what they are.

Most ebikes I've seen have been obviously deresticted and are essentially mopeds...and are ridden like they're stolen. My only real gripe is it's so easy to derestrict them. Sort that and I'll be for them...else funk them and the manufacturers that sell them that way.

All health and safety benefits go when you have mopeds in the bike lanes (I'm mainly talking about my experience in London committing btw)
  • Ps. For the record, ebikes are limited to pedal assistance up to 15mph - if they are breaking koms they are probably illegally on the road and thats an entirely different issue...