Would you have a steel bike for winter training?

2»

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    That would be the point I made on the third post... no point spending loads of money on a winter bike.

You want something half decent, sure, but you don't want one that you'll miss or have to spend a fortune to replace if you manage to write it off.

Winter is, after all, the time of slippery wet leaves, frost, ice, strong winds, dark mornings with half asleep drivers, etc etc etc.

Crashing is that bit more likely. I'd much rather crash my cheap alu ribble than my nice steel Moda.

Something like a kaffenback probably makes sense if you must have steel.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I bought the Moda because my De Rosa Nuovo Classico was too nice!

The Moda cost me £990 to build as I had the ultegra kicking about in the parts draw so that’s how I justify it. Anyway it won’t be just a winter bike.
  • redvision wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    No such thing as "too nice" only "not suitable". If it's a nice bike, you'll have more incentive to ride it.

The contrary is equally as persuasive - if it's too nice a bike would i ever want to ride it in rubbish weather?? (ie the purpose of the winter bike purchase).

As long as the nice/summer bike is better.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If steel does rust through it's generally from the inside, where water accumulates but doesn't have a way out. BB shells often had drain holes. Chainstays near the BB shell are a favourite spot for corrosion. Takes a long time though.

Some used to treat the inside of a new steel frame with a product called Frame Saver. No personal experience but descriptions made it sound a bit messy*, and I have no idea if it's still made.

But not as messy as the time I upended my old steel MTB in the kitchen only to find it was harbouring about a pint of bright orange rusty water which exited the seat-tube in a graceful arc before splattering down the delicate primrose yellow wall...