Would you have a steel bike for winter training?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
Despite doing most of my training on the turbo at the mo I'm thinking of getting a new bike specifically for winter training and quite fancied trying a steel frame.
However, quite a few people have said to me that in winter a steel bike would be a 'rust bucket'. I assumed most frames would come pre treated in some way, perhaps through the paint coat?? Anyway, just thought I would see if anyone on here does have a steel bike for wet weather/winter training? Have you had any issues with rust?

Thanks

Comments

• Well, steel bikes have been used for generations. Being 60 now I have had my share and of course we all had steel winter bikes back then. They survived okay but obviously will rust eventually, usually from the inside.
    Avoid internal cable routing which is a source for water to get inside the tubes and it should last you a fair few years.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Steel can rust but you'll get lots of years out of it before that. I'd have no worries at all. I'm sure you'll have got bored or worn everything out on it several times over before then.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Rust is probably more a question of how the bike is stored rather than it being used in Winter - if you can store it inside in the warm then I'd say it's very unlikely to be an issue.

With that said, I did own a steel singlespeed bike which I used almost exclusively in the wet, and one of the welds went after a little more than a year - but I've broken a lot of frames so that doesn't necessarily mean much - might have just been a bad weld (and it was sometimes stored outside, albeit always under cover).

Bigger question around steel for winter training is whether it is worth the premium - I mean, you can buy classic steel bikes for not a lot, but buying new, you'll be paying a bit more than you might be paying for an aluminium winter steed and it's questionably whether it's worth it. I've had a ribble 7005 blue audax for a few years now, and I can't fault it. A guy I ride with got one of those Radial £100 alu frames and is also very happy. The Planet X rt58 comes up cheap quite regularly.

You obviously already have a 'good' bike for the rest of the year so I can't see much point in spending too much on it.
  • utter rubbish from people. tripe.

so long as you don't leave it in a hedge it will be fine and will last for decades.

#steelisreal
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I recently bought a steel frame for winter riding. You could argue a 931 frame is perhaps too good for winter but it seemed a good deal and being stainless it will be fine in the bad weather.

https://www.moda-bikes.com/products/mod ... o-frameset

I paid less than the current price of £699 and these were £1500 a few years ago.

I’ll do a post in Your Road bikes at some point.

Is it worth the premium? I think so as regardless of whether it’s a summer bike, winter bike n+1 or whatever you care to call it I always think you have to love it or you just won’t want to ride it.
  • Yes.

If you look after it it'll survive longer than you!
  • Genesis Equilibrium here.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    redvision wrote:
    Despite doing most of my training on the turbo at the mo I'm thinking of getting a new bike specifically for winter training and quite fancied trying a steel frame.
    However, quite a few people have said to me that in winter a steel bike would be a 'rust bucket'. I assumed most frames would come pre treated in some way, perhaps through the paint coat?? Anyway, just thought I would see if anyone on here does have a steel bike for wet weather/winter training? Have you had any issues with rust?

Thanks

Back in the 90s, we all had steel bikes for winter training. And summer racing too for that matter. Nothing rusted, because it had paint on it. Whoever gave you the 'rust bucket' comment is an idiot.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,892
    I have a Condor Fratello as my foul weather bike. (Not a winter bike, it rains in the summer too).
    It is 7 years old and shows no signs of wear.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • redvision
    Cheers for all the replies.
    Settled my mind, so now just got to choose one. Budget is going to be around 1k so any recommendations?
  • bmxboy10
    Err the Moda....lol
  • redvision
    solboy10 wrote:
    Err the Moda....lol

Frameset only though. Guess with tiagra it could be built up for around 1k though... definitely food for thought.
  • I have several steel bikes. It takes proper neglect to get them to rot.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I am still riding my mother's old track bike as a singlespeed with cross tyres. It was made in 1954.
  • planet x holdsworth job gets very good reviews.

mf thinks it looks cool and different as well

#funky

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I commute each day on my 20 year old Kona cindercone. Says it all really.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Animal72 wrote:
    Genesis Equilibrium here.

Ditto - with full 'guards and hydro disc brakes. Not lightweight by any stretch, but good as a winter/wet weather commuter. It's kept indoors as well, so I'm not worrying about rust at all.

That Moda does look a proper bargain for SS though... :D
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My winter bike is a Condor steel frame, 531 Professional made in 1987. Its older than a lot of people on this forum.

7198715212_f7c16fa606_c.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • just put of interest, who gave you that "advice"?

#incredulous

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Yes it will rust if it gets wet. That's why there are basically no second hand steel frames available these days.
  • bmxboy10
    My Moda - which I am quite proud of lol

uBPZX7S.jpg
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Genesis CdF with mudguards all year round and lots of commutes along canal paths. No issues with the frame after 5 years. Get some water repellant frame polish to make it extra nice.
  • What's wrong with the bike you have?
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    My very neglected for long periods Diamond Back Ascent from 1993 is still going strong (chromoly steel). Paint chipped, but no signs of rust. The aluminium parts seem to have corroded more!
  • redvision
    What's wrong with the bike you have?

Nothing but this winter I hope to follow a training plan of both indoor and outdoor riding and would like a bike with full mudguards tbh.
    solboy10 wrote:

uBPZX7S.jpg

I can see why. Looks lush. Very tempted by this.
  • redvision wrote:

Nothing but this winter I hope to follow a training plan of both indoor and outdoor riding and would like a bike with full mudguards tbh.
    solboy10 wrote:

uBPZX7S.jpg

Is it just me or does the head angle look steep?
  • redvision
    redvision wrote:

solboy10 wrote:

uBPZX7S.jpg

Is it just me or does the head angle look steep?

Think it's you mate.

So i was all set on buying this until a colleague made a comment this morning - 'isn't the Moda too nice for a winter training bike??' :?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    No such thing as "too nice" only "not suitable". If it's a nice bike, you'll have more incentive to ride it.
  • redvision
    mrfpb wrote:
    No such thing as "too nice" only "not suitable". If it's a nice bike, you'll have more incentive to ride it.

The contrary is equally as persuasive - if it's too nice a bike would i ever want to ride it in rubbish weather?? (ie the purpose of the winter bike purchase).