Vuelta 2018, Stage 17: Getxo > Balcón de Bizkaia - 157 km *Spoilers*

2»

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Valverde quietly puts Quintana out the back door, early on. :oops:

Is this race going to finally put to bed the notion that Valverde has ever ridden in support of Quintana?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    hypster wrote:

Is this race going to finally put to bed the notion that Valverde has ever ridden in support of Quintana?

I thought he rode well for him on Saturday, closing down Kruijswijk only for Quintana to then sit marking out Lopez. There comes a point where you have to make a choice and at the moment Valverde looks far more likely to win this race than Quintana so why blow his own chances trying to support a rider who appears to not be at their best?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Pross wrote:
    hypster wrote:

I thought he rode well for him on Saturday, closing down Kruijswijk only for Quintana to then sit marking out Lopez. There comes a point where you have to make a choice and at the moment Valverde looks far more likely to win this race than Quintana so why blow his own chances trying to support a rider who appears to not be at their best?

Although I can't ever really trust him I have a grudging respect (and liking) for Valverde. A proper racer... and I respect that.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,526
    hypster wrote:

I was hoping that this race might finally satisfy the BR forum pundits that Valverde and Quintana are happy to and capable of ridng in a team together.
  • Just watching the highlights now. At the point Ned asks if they're going to see a sprint finish, I couldn't help but look at the mist and think 'no'.

Anyone else find these super-steep finishes just a little OTT?
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Woods after the finish - 'My wife had a stillbirth two months ago. We lost the little guy. His name was Hunter. The whole time I was going up the climb, I was thinking of him. I wanted to win so badly for him + I did it.'

Seem to have something in my eye.

https://twitter.com/Ride_Argyle/status/ ... 0730364933
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    hypster wrote:

I was hoping that this race might finally satisfy the BR forum pundits that Valverde and Quintana are happy to and capable of riding in a team together.

Quintana sounded fine with Valverde doing his own thing, today.
    He admitted he hasn't got it, but that Alejandro is going well.
    I'd guess that the post ITT speculation about a the need for a change in leadership was on the money and that it has happened without animosity.

Now all Valverde has to do is survive in the terrain that has proven his Achilles heel in the past.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Just watching the highlights now. At the point Ned asks if they're going to see a sprint finish, I couldn't help but look at the mist and think 'no'.

Anyone else find these super-steep finishes just a little OTT?

I agree, they do tend to kill things a bit, they're somehow not as exciting as the more 'regular' mountain top finishes.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Really need Simon to win if the alternative is Valverde.
  • hypster wrote:

He rode for him today, doubt he would have attacked that early for his own benefit, Quintana had to do something on that gradient or he was never going to.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Pross wrote:
    hypster wrote:

Quintana had a good example in making peace with it at the Tour in the shape of Froome, who, probably, went 'that's me done, mate, you go ahead' and hugging Thomas at the finish.

More importantly, it's so bizarre to see Team Cannondale win. I am happy.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Pross: You will be interested. Dai, Chris and the two youngest will be on the final climb today. Watch out for the flag. :wink:

I see they were supposed to be getting guided up the one climb by Zubeldia but didn't in the end. I was wondering if he had turned up but no-one noticed him.