Vuelta 2018, Stage 17: Getxo > Balcón de Bizkaia - 157 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited September 2018 in Pro race
Getxo > Balcón de Bizkaia 12/09/2018 - Stage 17 - 157 km

Pretty much what you would expect, given it's location and the organizers love of "walls".
The 17th stage at the Vuelta a España is a Basque affair and therefore is packed with short, sharp climbs, rather than being mountainous. The race starts in Getxo to end after 157 kilometres in the saddle on a steep climb above Balcón de Bizkaia. The last 3.9 kilometres of the route is a toil at 11%.

4c613

7e65d

Jonathan Castroviejo, the former European Champion time trialing who rides for Team Sky, lives in Getxo. Following the neutralized start the route continues to the proper start in Bilbao, near the Athletic Bilbao football stadium San Mamés. The riders head for the Alto de la Arboleda, a 6.9 kilometres climb at 5.2% with its peak at kilometre 16.7.
Following the descent the route is Spanish flat – which means the route is far from flat, yet there are no KOM points to be gained. For instance, the riders once again move through Bilbao (at kilometre 48) before they hit a 3 kilometres climb at 6.4%. Those eyeing up the polka dot jersey have to wait for the Alto de San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, a 4.2 kilometres climb at 6.3% that leads to a gorgeous sea view at the top. The San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is crested at kilometre 85.

San_Juan_de_Gaztelugatxe_I_-_WLE_Spain_2015.jpg

The riders drop down to a section of some 20 kilometres on the flat. Still almost 50 kilometres out and five climbs to go. First the Balcón de Bizkaia, a 10.2 kilometres slope at 3.7%. A right-hand turn while going downhill would lead to the finish, but no, that would be too easy. A loop northeast of the arrival takes in the Alto de Santo Eufemia, a 3.8 kilometres climb at 6.1% with some double digits ramps early on, before continuing onto the foot of the Gontzegaraine, which slopes at 4% for 5.3 kilometres.

Where the descent meets the old route – in Munitibar – the riders turn left to climb back up to the Balcón de Bizkaia. The first 3.2 kilometres climb at 6 to 7% and when the route turns left, the ascent gets steeper. Actually, this is the road to the summit of Monte Oiz, but the route doesn’t go all the way to the top. The Oiz peaks at 1,026 metres while the finish lies at an elevation of 925 metres.

Oiz1.gif

Getting closer to the line, the road conditions worsen. It’s merely a narrow corrugated concrete track with impossibly steep ramps up to almost 24%. The last 3.9 kilometres to the finish ride at 11%, while the final climb from Munitibar is a 7.1 kilometres toil with an average gradient of 9.1%.

Video of the all important last 5kms.
https://youtu.be/2BDrknrMZIk

Finishing climb details.

stage-17-finish.jpg?01

stage-17-alto-del-balcon-de-bizkaia.jpg

Favourites 17th stage 2018 Vuelta a España

*** Nairo Quintana, Miguel Ángel López, Simon Yates, Steven Kruijswijk
** Wilco Kelderman, Thibaut Pinot, Alejandro Valverde, Enric Mas, the random breakaway.
* Bauke Mollema, Ilnur Zakarin, Rafal Majka, Dylan Teuns, Ben King

Team digs for this stage.

stage-17-hotel.jpg?01

Getxo
Unprecedented departure

77,793 inhabitants

Bizkaia province
Getxo is a landmark destination for surfing aficionados. Its beaches, its cliffs and its pliable waves welcome thousands of tourists every year who come from all over the world to practice this sport. La Vuelta will depart from here for the first time and will, no doubt, visit the Bizkaia Bridge, a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2006. The Getxo Circuit, the locality's most distinguished cycling trial, will celebrate its 73rd edition in 2018, as will La Vuelta.
Getxo is a very charming municipality. Its peculiar history has left vestiges of an exceptional past where Basque marine traditions and small beautiful palaces coexist. It is located 20 minutes from Bilbao by metro and nestled between cliffs and the Mouth of the Nervión Estuary, framed by the characteristic silhouette of the Bizkaia Bridge, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2006. The Hanging Bridge, a Historical Artistic Monument that turns 125, is considered a work of art due to its beauty and functionality.

puente-colgante-de-portugalete-82caf97d-8890-4466-934b-b14f1ac0bd14.jpg?height=1080

Thanks to various different interpretation panels, Getxo will not have any secrets from its visitors. Walking between the bridge and the old fishing port, the self-guided "Paseo de las Grandes Villas" tour, makes the stroll more pleasant and explains its architecture. As you reach the Old Port, the contrast is reflected with a hardworking past, steep streets and narrow houses that show the tough conditions in which the sailors once lived there.
The vocation for the sea and for sailing continues in the marinas. And for lovers of tranquillity, there are five beautiful well-communicated urban beaches where you can have a drink in its beach bars, or unique beaches far away from the centre, protected by cliffs where paragliding and surfing take place.

In Getxo, there is always a table in which to enjoy succulent pintxos and a great atmosphere.

La_Ola_-_11.jpg

Balcón de Bizkaia
Unprecedented Vuelta finale

Autonomous Community of Cantabria

Few territories can compete with the Basque Country's passion for cycling: thousands of fans line the roads, a solid quarry of riders, and a privileged orography provide the local touch. This year, the prize for cycling lovers comes in the form of an unprecedented La Vuelta climb: the Balcón de Vizcaya, jewel of the village of Berriz, in Mount Oiz.
Bizkaia Bay is a privileged meeting between the sea and the mountains. The coast of Bizkaia is spectacular. From Muskiz to Ondarroa, it is full of life and beautiful postcards: picturesque fishing villages, traditions and gastronomy straight out of the sea in San Juan de Gaztelugatxe and Urdaibai. All types of sports, from surfing, canoeing, paragliding and volleyball, to discovering extraordinary sandbanks, take place in the 28 beaches located along the Bizkaia coastline.

20170905_072118.jpg?resize=701%2C409

Bilbao is the capital of Bizkaia. The city’s great transformation over the past two decades has turned it into one of Europe’s most cosmopolitan and innovative cities. The Nervión Estuary is the artery that runs through the city and its surroundings. Travelling along its margins, visitors can discover landmarks of its industrial past and of its present such as the Bizkaia Bridge in Portugalete, Getxo’s majestic palaces and buildings and the Santurtzi Port.
But in order to fully know Bizkaia, one must also explore its inland: its mountains, its rivers and its caves. All of these form part of its history, culture and way of life. The Natural Parks leave us speechless; the aromas and flavours of the traditional fairs, make us fall in love.

46f20

Gigantes-procession-cristina.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Great thread starter as always.

The bookies' odds (for final GC) make interesting reading.

Simon Yates 8/15
    Miguel Angel Lopez 11/2
    Nairo Quintana 13/2
    Alejandro Valverde 12
    Steven Kruijswijk 14
    Enric Mas 28
    Thibaut Pinot 40

Yates at odds on is surprising to me. I agree he's the favourite but I'd have expected evens at least. That Lopez is seen as more likely to win than Quintana is no surprise but the odds on Valverde seem quite generous.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • LB has come up with a more detailed look at the finishing run in and it's lesser climbs.

finale-monte-oiz-3.png
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    For today, Lopez is the bookies favourite at 3/1 at most places.

Then Yates around 9/2, 5/1, followed by Quintana at 6/1, 7/1. Nobody else inside 10/1 (Majka can be found at 9/1 at a couple of places but he's generally 11-12/1).

This is interesting as Inrng doesn't mention Quintana, he has Yates and Lopez as 2* favourites.
  • Live coverage of the whole stage is about to start.
    The battle for the all important break should be interesting.

Having achieved his goal of winning the ITT, Rohan Dennis decides not to bother turning up at the start.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    DeadCalm wrote:

Simon Yates 8/15
    Miguel Angel Lopez 11/2
    Nairo Quintana 13/2
    Alejandro Valverde 12
    Steven Kruijswijk 14
    Enric Mas 28
    Thibaut Pinot 40

Yates at odds on is surprising to me. I agree he's the favourite but I'd have expected evens at least. That Lopez is seen as more likely to win than Quintana is no surprise but the odds on Valverde seem quite generous.

The odds follow the money not the actual likelihood and the market is fairly limited plus possibly British biased if a UK bookie. The bookie is just looking to guide people towards backing someone that will make them money.
  • Pross wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Simon Yates 8/15
    Miguel Angel Lopez 11/2
    Nairo Quintana 13/2
    Alejandro Valverde 12
    Steven Kruijswijk 14
    Enric Mas 28
    Thibaut Pinot 40

The odds follow the money not the actual likelihood and the market is fairly limited plus possibly British biased if a UK bookie. The bookie is just looking to guide people towards backing someone that will make them money.

Pross: You will be interested. Dai, Chris and the two youngest will be on the final climb today. Watch out for the flag. :wink:

Kirby was caught out, totally making stuff up, within 5 minutes of the start. :oops:
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Most of the usual suspects in the break....about 4mins ahead

Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida), Alexandre Geniez (AG2R-La Mondiale), Omar Fraile (Astana), Alessandro De Marchi, Dylan Teuns (BMC Racing Team), Rafal Majka, Lukas Pöstlberger (Bora-hansgrohe), Thomas De Gendt (Lotto-Soudal), Andrey Amador (Movistar Team), Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier (Dimension Data), Simon Clarke, Michael Woods (Education First-Drapac), Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha-Alpecin), David De La Cruz, Jonathan Castroviejo (Team Sky), Jai Hindley (Team Sunweb), Bauke Mollema (Trek-Segafredo), Cristian Rodríguez (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA), Jesus Herrada, Stéphane Rossetto (Cofidis) and Hector Saez (Euskadi).
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Gap up to 8mins with around 70km to go. Could be a Happy Birthday breakaway for Majka.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    De Gendt takes a step further towards the KoM jersey
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    Pross: You will be interested. Dai, Chris and the two youngest will be on the final climb today. Watch out for the flag. :wink:

I saw one of his rides on Strava earlier. It was a flat one, I don't think he was looking forward to the hills!
  • Pross wrote:

I saw one of his rides on Strava earlier. It was a flat one, I don't think he was looking forward to the hills!

He doesn't even enter his own doorstep competition, so that's a cert. :lol:

Astana have finally turned up at the front, with 22kms to go.
  • The games have begun in the breakaway, with Nibali being very active.
  • Aru down on the deck with another rider, very angry.
  • A bit x-rated there from Aru! Ouch
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    You Me Bum Bum Train
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Shortless Aru complaining bitterly about the bike.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    How much support is SY getting from his two teammates (I'm relying on text updates!). It occurred to me this morning that SY often drops in "depending on how much support my team can give me" comments, and wondered whether that was a) him making a veiled dig at his teammates or b) just him thinking out loud knowing they've had a plan to rest their domestiques in anticipation of needing to support him over the next few days. I don't recally SY relying too much on his teammates in the climbs so far (contrast the way Sky ride - and I'm a fan of theirs!)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Quintana losing touch with Yates group before the kick-up
  • Valverde quietly puts Quintana out the back door, early on. :oops:
  • Woods wins, Teuns 2nd de la Cruz 3rd.

Director finds fog more exciting than the GC battle.
  • DeadCalm
    edited September 2018
    Was that Roche? (Stephen)
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Valverde and Mas leave Yates behind for a massive ..............8 seconds.
    Kruijswijk and Quintana the major casualties.
  • Korhag
    Korhag Posts: 77
    edited September 2018
    Quintana exploded. 1 minute or so lost on Yates, Valvede gains a little bit.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Valverde gets around 7” back from Yates in the GC. Yates seemed unhappy with something at the finish there. Might just be emotions of the moment though.
  • larkim
    It'll only take a few more of those for Valverde to ride into red. I'd not bet against him based on today, much as I want Yates to win it. Be interesting to hear how grumpy Yates is.
  • Yates and Valverde back to within 1 second of where they were before the ITT.
    Mas up to 3rd as others falter.

This GT continues to be mostly about the breakaways and very little to do with any GC battle.
  • larkim
    Two separate races really. Interested to watch highlights tonight.
  • larkim wrote:
    Two separate races really. Interested to watch highlights tonight.

Enjoy the fog. :lol:
  • DeadCalm
    Disappointing stage. Partly because of the coverage which was not helped by the fog. Mainly though because Quintana has just not had the legs to influence the GC and Lopez hasn't been able to back up his team's efforts.

Disappointing also that Kruijswijk and Pinot folded. Mas looks like a proper talent for the future.

Mitchelton-Scott have played a tactical blinder effectively giving Adam the first two weeks off to ensure he is there in the last week.

GC is nicely poised between Valverde and Yates.
    Team My Man 2022:

• Any post-stage interview for Woods and Yates?