Training With a Broken Neck

aojb
aojb Posts: 5
edited September 2018 in Training, fitness and health
Hi,

Having been a long time browser I’m hoping someone may be able to give me a bit of advice.

I managed to break my neck during a race last month but am keen to keep training. I’ve been told it’s ok for me to use my turbo by the doctor. It’s pretty much ok to use but the most comfortable position for me is to sit straight upright ...

Will sitting like this cause any problems? I’d hate to spend the next three months training in a position that will cause future issues.

Cheers !

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Depends how long you spend on it. An extended amount of time with pretty much all of your weight going through the saddle area is going to get very uncomfortable/painful after a while. But if you've been cleared to give it a try, then there's only one way to find out...
  • Sorry - just so MF can follow.

You have broken your neck.

Your doctor has said that you can turbo train.

When training you are most comfortable sitting up.

You have a problem with being comfortable?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Nothing is worth the risk of paralysis. Stop all sorts of training until the break heals fully.
  • A broken neck and still training - you Sir, are a badass.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nothing is worth the risk of paralysis. Stop all sorts of training until the break heals fully.

Are you overriding his doctor's advice now? Hmmm, let me see - doctor or milemuncher....
  • Are you in a halo frame, surely you will sweat loads with that on??

I broke my neck in 2004 and i still have pain daily. Im sorry to hear of your accident.

I findlong cycles +70km a strain on my neck even today with the riding position. Listen to your body as everyone will be full of advice and only you know what feels ok.

Kev
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you'll need to reduce the training or maybe see if you can rest your elbows at the side ? All of that weight on the saddle isn't going to be much fun.

Good luck with it all anyway.
  • aojb
    Thanks for the replies!

Doctor has said I’m ok to turbo.

The most comfortable position at the minute is upright.

I just wanted to check that riding in that position for a prolonged period wouldn’t cause any other issues. Obviously it’s not a ‘normal’ position and I was mildly concerned it might affect other muscles joints etc ...

I’m not in a full halo but am in a solid neck brace. I’ve found tea towels shoved around the odd quite effective for mopping up sweat ! Haha
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Not quite as dramatic as your situation I was using the turbo in an up right position following shoulder surgery when I still had my arm in a sling. It felt odd at times but other than my ar*se hurting due to the position it was fine.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    It's fine. I was upright on the turbo for weeks when I was allowed to return following lumbar fusion. You just need to work on your core and flexibility once you're allowed back on the bike properly. I'd also say take it easy - your body needs to heal.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    If you have a handy gym with the reclining type of exercise bike, that may be a solution.
    I’ve done the same in the past, it’s hard to do any meaningful training, but at least you can keep you eye in.
    Good luck.
  • aojb
    Thanks again for the input.

Think I’ll crack on then and power through the sore arse... can’t do nothing for the next three months !!!
  • Recently saw a picture of a pro who could only get comfortable on the turbo when lying down. he had the turbo rigged up vertically on the wall.