5 months pre season plan

nicleza
nicleza Posts: 30
edited September 2018 in Training, fitness and health
I made the decision to skip the last race of the season in October and instead start the off and pre season early. This year's race season started 4 of february so I will have around 5 months to prepare for 2019. So I am looking for tips, input and help with my training schedule.

I have never done a really serious cycling pre season and dont know to much about long term training plans. What differs me from many others (which most tips and suggestions are pointed to) is that I have plenty of time to put into training and I am ready to do it. I am studying and make my own schedule. 20-30 hours is do-able for me.

I am planning to put in Base training for at least one month, start next week. With long rides, 4 hours+. But what to do after that? When should I start with intervals and so on? As you see I dont have to much experience or knowledge about this.

I race at national level in a country thats not known for its rich sports heritage but many teams are professional (not mine) and a few have been in the Olympics. The difference in level of the best and the slowest in the peloton is. I am in the middle somewhere but want to become better. All races is stage races of at least three days and its always a lot of climbing.

Let the planning begin!

Comments

• Snd me a pm, I'll give you the names of some decent coaches......
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Nicleza wrote:
    I am planning to put in Base training for at least one month, start next week. With long rides, 4 hours+. But what to do after that? When should I start with intervals and so on? As you see I dont have to much experience or knowledge about this.

Do intervals of varying duration (4x4 one day, 2 x 20 another day)

Perform intervals full gas / all out, i.e. at an intensity that you can maintain through all intervals without fading

Progress workouts by increasing combined interval duration as they become easier

Make blocks/phases go from general to specific as you approach your event, i.e. more combined interval duration for long intervals and less combined interval duration for short intervals.
  • Snd me a pm, I'll give you the names of some decent coaches......

Feel free to send me a PM with the information without me sending you an empty PM :)
  • It would do you no harm to read The Cyclists Training Bible by Joe Friel. It does a great job of periodising your training, helping you write your own programme and targeting key races.
    Also Training and Racing with a Power meter by Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan will help.

Don't take specific advice off forums as everybody is different and you need a personal programme
    A good coach would help especially if you are racing at a higher level both with programming and motivation.

You have chosen the right time of year to start planning this
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That's a long time for training and a huge amount of hours. What level do you race at ?
  • cougie wrote:
    That's a long time for training and a huge amount of hours. What level do you race at ?

Training takes a long time, but I agree. Depending on where you live just get a solid winter in, by which I mean lots of solid miles in, Zone 2, Zone 3 solo rides and if you can do some club rides if you have a good group you can train with.
    Read those books I suggested. If you plan a programme a la Joe Friel then you work back from your first "A" event and start your base from there.

Do too much and you risk burning out, I have been there :)
  • OnTheRopes: Thank you for your input. I have read some articles of Joe Friel and have taken it into my training routines, and liked it. Buying his book is a good idea :). Periodising is something I do but would like to get/know better about it. Since I am studying and just bought a new bike a coach is way out of my cycling budget at the moment. Which is a pitty, because I have the time to really make my cycling evolve now.
    I will get back on the bike tomorrow after a week of with traveling, university shit and Jet lagging. The plan is to do long rides through october, start tomorrow. Do you have any suggestions om how many I should do a week? I ride seven days a week since my body tens to go deep into hibernation mode when I dont ride and I really enjoy a slow hour recovery ride instead of laying on the couch.

I live in a city with no winter and I compete at national level and will most likely be racing a professional stage race (2.2) at the end of the season. Not allowed to race it this year due to stupid rule about foreigners in domestic teams. Thats why my pre season is so long.

I appreciate your input :).
  • Nicleza wrote:
    OnTheRopes: Thank you for your input. I have read some articles of Joe Friel and have taken it into my training routines, and liked it. Buying his book is a good idea :). Periodising is something I do but would like to get/know better about it. Since I am studying and just bought a new bike a coach is way out of my cycling budget at the moment. Which is a pitty, because I have the time to really make my cycling evolve now.
    I will get back on the bike tomorrow after a week of with traveling, university shoot and Jet lagging. The plan is to do long rides through october, start tomorrow. Do you have any suggestions om how many I should do a week? I ride seven days a week since my body tens to go deep into hibernation mode when I dont ride and I really enjoy a slow hour recovery ride instead of laying on the couch.

I live in a city with no winter and I compete at national level and will most likely be racing a professional stage race (2.2) at the end of the season. Not allowed to race it this year due to stupid rule about foreigners in domestic teams. Thats why my pre season is so long.

You compete at National level and you're coming on here asking for coaching advice? :shock:
  • Nicleza wrote:
    OnTheRopes: Thank you for your input. I have read some articles of Joe Friel and have taken it into my training routines, and liked it. Buying his book is a good idea :). Periodising is something I do but would like to get/know better about it. Since I am studying and just bought a new bike a coach is way out of my cycling budget at the moment. Which is a pitty, because I have the time to really make my cycling evolve now.
    I will get back on the bike tomorrow after a week of with traveling, university shoot and Jet lagging. The plan is to do long rides through october, start tomorrow. Do you have any suggestions om how many I should do a week? I ride seven days a week since my body tens to go deep into hibernation mode when I dont ride and I really enjoy a slow hour recovery ride instead of laying on the couch.

I would ask as did Supermurph09 that if you are at the point of racing at pro level, do you really need to ask advice on training on a forum? I was a first Cat amateur and now age related vet. I have always been fairly good on the bike and have never used a coach, so you certainly don't need one but if you are riding pro races then you could certainly benefit from one.
    What country are you in? I don't mind offering my suggestions on training as long as this is not a troll? but if you read Friel then you can work out for yourself. I would suggest the other book I named as well.
  • Nicleza wrote:

You compete at National level and you're coming on here asking for coaching advice? :shock:

i guess not everyone has the opportunity, funds, or whatever to seek out coaching help. That said, in the past i've seen other elite riders on forums seeking help.

@Nicleza, feel free to give me a shout if you'd like. I've worked with world-class through to beginners. worse case scenario is i offer a free 30-min strategy chat about what you can do (this is available for anyone). https://www.cyclecoach.com/strategy-call
    Ric
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • Nicleza wrote:

Thats correct. The country I race in is not a great cycling nation so the level is not to compare with random European country.