Forum home BikeRadar team Discuss the website with the team

Top banner ad

OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Posts: 460
Hello
On the forum the top banner ad always loads after the threads and there is always a bit of a delay (for me anyway) so it jumps down making me click on the wrong link. This is very irritating
yes I could just wait every time for it to load but this is not instinctive and it happens every single page load.

Just wondered if the banner could load first or something to stop this happening?

Cheers

Posts

  • CitizenLeeCitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Ads? What are ads? :)

    uBlock Origin - Widely regarded as the best ad blocker at the moment
    Chrome
    Firefox
    MS
    Safari

    Also look up Privacy Badger if you want more protection (I run both on my work and home PCs).

    Then if on mobile...

    Brave - An ad blocking browser based on Chrome. Protects against spying ads, trackers and browser fingerprinting
    Android
    iOS

    Not all ads are innocent ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • kesakesa Posts: 24
    You can't use adblockers on Bikeradar
  • CitizenLeeCitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    kesa wrote:
    You can't use adblockers on Bikeradar

    uBlock says otherwise ;)

    ZGmTPb9.png
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,904
    kesa wrote:
    You can't use adblockers on Bikeradar

    You can on the forum, not on the website. For me anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • CitizenLeeCitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    cooldad wrote:
    kesa wrote:
    You can't use adblockers on Bikeradar

    You can on the forum, not on the website. For me anyway.

    Try uBlock, it stops them on the main site too.

    You do still see the "deals" on the right, but they're not served as ads (although you can right click and block each element, same with pics, headers, anything really). It's a powerful add-on.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 7,274
    CitizenLee wrote:
    kesa wrote:
    You can't use adblockers on Bikeradar

    uBlock says otherwise ;)

    ZGmTPb9.png
    I like the way the on/off button graphic comes across as a big middle finger to anyone trying to run an adblockerblocker :-)
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,904
    CitizenLee wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    kesa wrote:
    You can't use adblockers on Bikeradar

    You can on the forum, not on the website. For me anyway.

    Try uBlock, it stops them on the main site too.

    You do still see the "deals" on the right, but they're not served as ads (although you can right click and block each element, same with pics, headers, anything really). It's a powerful add-on.

    Might do but been using Adblockplus for years. It's the only free software I've ever sent a donation to.

    I'm old and crusty and hate change.

    Saying that I'm about to push the button on a new Chromebook, so might be time to decrust.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,904
    Tried it out on current machine. Seems to work. Nothing has blown up or melted.

    ETA and yes, allows access to BR site. Sneaky.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • CitizenLeeCitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    cooldad wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    kesa wrote:
    You can't use adblockers on Bikeradar

    You can on the forum, not on the website. For me anyway.

    Try uBlock, it stops them on the main site too.

    You do still see the "deals" on the right, but they're not served as ads (although you can right click and block each element, same with pics, headers, anything really). It's a powerful add-on.

    Might do but been using Adblockplus for years. It's the only free software I've ever sent a donation to.

    I'm old and crusty and hate change.

    Saying that I'm about to push the button on a new Chromebook, so might be time to decrust.

    I used to use ABP for years too but I found it was failing to block certain elements on certain sites so after a bit of Goggling I found that many of the tech/privacy sites now suggested uBlock as an alternative. It's lighter on resources (memory and CPU) and it is meant to work better with sites that use anti-ablocking measures. ABP also accept money from larger companies to allow their ads through as part of their Acceptable Ads Initiative.

    I'm the same though, not too keen to change my ways if I don't have to.

    Enjoy your new Chrome book, the new models look great!

    EDIT: Just saw your new post as I was replying. Good to hear it's working for you!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    Ads? What are ads? :)

    uBlock Origin - Widely regarded as the best ad blocker at the moment
    Chrome
    Firefox
    MS
    Safari

    Also look up Privacy Badger if you want more protection (I run both on my work and home PCs).

    Then if on mobile...

    Brave - An ad blocking browser based on Chrome. Protects against spying ads, trackers and browser fingerprinting
    Android
    iOS

    Not all ads are innocent ;)

    Thanks for that CitizenLee I have installed Ublock on Chrome and banner and irritation gone :)
  • CitizenLeeCitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Happy to help! :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
Sign In or Register to comment.