Top banner ad

OnTheRopes
OnTheRopes Posts: 460
Hello
On the forum the top banner ad always loads after the threads and there is always a bit of a delay (for me anyway) so it jumps down making me click on the wrong link. This is very irritating
yes I could just wait every time for it to load but this is not instinctive and it happens every single page load.

Just wondered if the banner could load first or something to stop this happening?

Cheers

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Ads? What are ads? :)

uBlock Origin - Widely regarded as the best ad blocker at the moment
    Chrome
    Firefox
    MS
    Safari

Also look up Privacy Badger if you want more protection (I run both on my work and home PCs).

Then if on mobile...

Brave - An ad blocking browser based on Chrome. Protects against spying ads, trackers and browser fingerprinting
    Android
    iOS

Not all ads are innocent ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • kesa
    kesa Posts: 35
    You can't use adblockers on Bikeradar
  • CitizenLee
    Kesa wrote:

uBlock says otherwise ;)

ZGmTPb9.png
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Kesa wrote:

You can on the forum, not on the website. For me anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    cooldad wrote:
    Kesa wrote:

Try uBlock, it stops them on the main site too.

You do still see the "deals" on the right, but they're not served as ads (although you can right click and block each element, same with pics, headers, anything really). It's a powerful add-on.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Kesa wrote:

uBlock says otherwise ;)

ZGmTPb9.png
    I like the way the on/off button graphic comes across as a big middle finger to anyone trying to run an adblockerblocker :-)
  • cooldad
    CitizenLee wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Kesa wrote:

You do still see the "deals" on the right, but they're not served as ads (although you can right click and block each element, same with pics, headers, anything really). It's a powerful add-on.

Might do but been using Adblockplus for years. It's the only free software I've ever sent a donation to.

I'm old and crusty and hate change.

Saying that I'm about to push the button on a new Chromebook, so might be time to decrust.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Tried it out on current machine. Seems to work. Nothing has blown up or melted.

ETA and yes, allows access to BR site. Sneaky.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    cooldad wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Kesa wrote:

Might do but been using Adblockplus for years. It's the only free software I've ever sent a donation to.

I'm old and crusty and hate change.

Saying that I'm about to push the button on a new Chromebook, so might be time to decrust.

I used to use ABP for years too but I found it was failing to block certain elements on certain sites so after a bit of Goggling I found that many of the tech/privacy sites now suggested uBlock as an alternative. It's lighter on resources (memory and CPU) and it is meant to work better with sites that use anti-ablocking measures. ABP also accept money from larger companies to allow their ads through as part of their Acceptable Ads Initiative.

I'm the same though, not too keen to change my ways if I don't have to.

Enjoy your new Chrome book, the new models look great!

EDIT: Just saw your new post as I was replying. Good to hear it's working for you!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    Ads? What are ads? :)

uBlock Origin - Widely regarded as the best ad blocker at the moment
    Chrome
    Firefox
    MS
    Safari

Also look up Privacy Badger if you want more protection (I run both on my work and home PCs).

Then if on mobile...

Brave - An ad blocking browser based on Chrome. Protects against spying ads, trackers and browser fingerprinting
    Android
    iOS

Not all ads are innocent ;)

Thanks for that CitizenLee I have installed Ublock on Chrome and banner and irritation gone :)
  • CitizenLee
    Happy to help! :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous: