1 x FOR RACING - Adam Blythe comments...

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Why not put a dose of sealant in the tubs and there's the best of both worlds surely? Or is the weight penalty too severe?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I think the sealant degrages the tube. I did recently hear about tubeless tubulars though, maybe they'll be the tyre to take the pro peleton by storm
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've used sealant in tufo tubs. It works but still managed to slash a tyre on a shard of metal on an early ride. Nothing was sealing that.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    joey54321 wrote:
    I think the sealant degrages the tube. I did recently hear about tubeless tubulars though, maybe they'll be the tyre to take the pro peloton by storm
    They had these years ago, all rubber jobs. So none of the suppleness of tubulars that’s why they never caught on.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    A bit off topic, but i found the interview with Blythe on the Cycling Podcast vary interesting. They guy seems to get a lot of stick, but it was one of the most honest interviews I've heard with a current rider. Given all his different teams, he must be liked or at least appreciated.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    SJH76 wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    Well pros still use tubs over tubeless yet tubeless tyres are generally quicker, don't blow out can self heal and dont roll of the rims when flat like tubs.

So given pro still use tubs it is not surprising the potential aero gain is overlooked. Or perfhaos they feel small advantages are not needed

Most of the "benefits" of tubeless you've said here are actually the benefits of tubular, which is why the pros use them! Tubular tyres don't blow out and don't roll off the rims when flat (which surely tubeless would?)

You could switch that argument around and say why use tubs when tubeless have all the benefits plus lower rolling resistance?

From what I've been told by a friend who worked for a pro team, it's more to do with the time it takes to get them fixed. A tubular will be a quick replacement where a tubeless is a bit more time consuming for the mechanics. With all the other stuff they have to do they just don't have the time. The good thing about tubs is they are quick and easy along with all their other benefits, tubeless are just not better options on the balance of things.

Yeah, seen the mess it makes too when you're trying to fix tubeless punctures.. and you've got to replace the sealant every so often. Extra work to solve a problem that doesn't exist!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Pretty much every pro around would give up a barely measurable aero advantage to be able pick their cadence regardless of gradient.
  • Pretty much every pro around would give up a barely measurable aero advantage to be able pick their cadence regardless of gradient.

This 100%.

The aero benefits are negligible if existent at all.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Pretty much every pro around would give up a barely measurable aero advantage to be able pick their cadence regardless of gradient.

This 100%.

The aero benefits are negligible if existent at all.

3T reckon about 8 watts - obviously that will be under specific conditions in terms of wind, bike speed etc even if it's achievable but even if it was less it makes sense IF the gaps in gearing could be solved.

I was listening to a pro mechanic for Aqua Blue and he reckoned an 11*2 setup would require a single ring to have a 14 tooth cassette to replicate the range without having greater gaps inbetween gears. What are we on now, 12 or has someone brought out a 13?, so we are getting close.

Of course a 2*13 has an even greater range without gaps than a 1*13 so of course a 2 ring setup will always have that advantage but nobody argues for triples so we can all run a straight through 11-22 without any gaps.

It's not yet quite there for the kind of races pros are doing and there seemed to be problems with dropped chains too so yes it didn't work but I wouldn't write it off.

I had a little play with a gear calculator and I reckon a 46 paired with an 11-31 would do me for everything other than maybe a trip to the Alps - purely for racing a smaller range would do - it's not a million miles away from being doable with a single ring.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • inseine wrote:
    A bit off topic, but i found the interview with Blythe on the Cycling Podcast vary interesting. They guy seems to get a lot of stick, but it was one of the most honest interviews I've heard with a current rider. Given all his different teams, he must be liked or at least appreciated.

Agreed - an interesting that for all Delaney's blarney about how well he was supporting the team and being a proper pro team, it sounds like everything was done on the cheap - ref. the section about cr4p accommodation in Belgium and travelling 3 hours on the morning of a race to avoid staying in hotels beforehand etc.

Fair play to Blythe for admitting how he's different now to his early pro years. Amazed he's still 'only' 29.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    inseine wrote:

Agreed - an interesting that for all Delaney's blarney about how well he was supporting the team and being a proper pro team, it sounds like everything was done on the cheap - ref. the section about cr4p accommodation in Belgium and travelling 3 hours on the morning of a race to avoid staying in hotels beforehand etc.

Fair play to Blythe for admitting how he's different now to his early pro years. Amazed he's still 'only' 29.

In fairness, a small team budget wouldn’t go very far if they spent a couple of thousand pounds a race on hotels and meals where it wasn’t essential.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    inseine wrote:

In fairness, a small team budget wouldn’t go very far if they spent a couple of thousand pounds a race on hotels and meals where it wasn’t essential.

and its pretty well known that bicycle racing teams generaally get pretty rubbish accomodation.

#newbieoutrage
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DeVlaeminck
    And if sponsoring a cycling team was a path to riches there would have been a queue to take over the team. Whatever his faults Delaney can't be accused of profiting from the sport.
  • ShutupJens
    And if sponsoring a cycling team was a path to riches there would have been a queue to take over the team. Whatever his faults Delaney can't be accused of profiting from the sport.

I don't think anyones accusing him of profiting, it's more that he committed to a certain length of time but when he realised it wasn't happening he left a lot of riders with big question marks over their futures, as well as preventing them from riding a race like the tob
  • DeVlaeminck
    It was more the bit about everything being done on the cheap.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I don’t see any issue with a sponsor profiting. Quite good in fact
  • Matthewfalle

This - after all it's a business not a charity.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ShutupJens

The pretence though of it being about the riders, making a sustainable team so it's better for the sport.. when actually he didn't even see it past the half way point.
  • Matthewfalle
    ShutupJens wrote:

The pretence though of it being about the riders, making a sustainable team so it's better for the sport.. when actually he didn't even see it past the half way point.

probably because it wasn't sustainable to take it further any longer.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens wrote:

In that case, he probs shouldn't have promised to fund the team for 4 years.. and then give up after two, leaving his riders screwed
  • Matthewfalle
    ShutupJens wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

In that case, he probs shouldn't have promised to fund the team for 4 years.. and then give up after two, leaving his riders screwed

business plans change. no one with their eyes open got screwed. its a cycling team - its almost expected that it'll die some random death.

as above, its business. not nice, but business nonetheless.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

business plans change. no one with their eyes open got screwed. its a cycling team - its almost expected that it'll die some random death.

You can draw similarities with One Pro Cycling, especially in this case. They went about things the right way, the riders knew throughout the year that they might struggle to raise a team for 2019 and were kept abreast of the situation, they also were allowed to ride the full season still even after the news that it was going under went public.

Also the team owner never threatened to sue any of the riders which helps. Business it is, but there's a right way to go about it
  • Matthewfalle
    ShutupJens wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

You can draw similarities with One Pro Cycling, especially in this case. They went about things the right way, the riders knew throughout the year that they might struggle to raise a team for 2019 and were kept abreast of the situation, they also were allowed to ride the full season still even after the news that it was going under went public.

Also the team owner never threatened to sue any of the riders which helps. Business it is, but there's a right way to go about it

oh - agree completely but also remember there are 3 sides and background to every story.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    Degenkolb scathing about his 1x settup in MSR which borked at the wrong moment.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Is the issue dropping a chain and no front mech to pedal it back on?
  • rick_chasey
    Presumably.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I wonder why this keeps happening to pro racers. I have been using 1x off road for 3 years, first with a bodge set up and then with a Sram 1x system and have never had a chain come off the chainring, and I don't even have a chain catcher. I would have thought the road would be 'kinder' to 1x set ups with less bouncing etc... and they have pro mechanics to set everything up perfectly.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    No sure MSR was the right time to try a new set up
  • rick_chasey
    joey54321 wrote:
    I wonder why this keeps happening to pro racers. I have been using 1x off road for 3 years, first with a bodge set up and then with a Sram 1x system and have never had a chain come off the chainring, and I don't even have a chain catcher. I would have thought the road would be 'kinder' to 1x set ups with less bouncing etc... and they have pro mechanics to set everything up perfectly.

Imagine in the heat of the moment at the back end of 300km one's finesse in hitting the shift leavers is reduced somewhat.

Pro's also change gear a whole load often. Remember cancellera referring to himself as a gear change junkie.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    where is he talking about this?