Food Heaven, Food Hell

13»

Comments

• Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Heaven Sausage egg chips & beans
    Hell Butter/margarine. And as for mayonnaise - the devil's jizz.
    How do Bally. With your food hell , how do you manage having a sarnie?

Hiya resident foreign ale expert.
    Sarnies are no problem. Whatever filling I have is just placed directly between the bread. Sometimes I have to watch out for them trying to slide apart though.
    Gotcha. Next you’ll be “clean eating “ and avoiding the Wimpy bar on Milford Common. Or has that closed? Confused since Titanic Brewery opened a cafe in Baswich, Stafford. Or there’s beer at the Chet?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,194
    Heaven: oven roasted red sweet peppers, home grown of course, Tarquinio F1 if you're interested, lightly coated in virgin olive oil and roasted on a bed of finely chopped onion and crushed garlic tossed through with pancetta and coated in thyme, rosemary, cracked black pepper and salt flakes, then served on a lightly toasted wholemeal bread (homemade of course) with a side serving of Malbec.

Hell: no, that's it above.

'kin A. Just had it,
  • orraloon wrote:
    Heaven: oven roasted red sweet peppers, home grown of course, Tarquinio F1 if you're interested, lightly coated in virgin olive oil and roasted on a bed of finely chopped onion and crushed garlic tossed through with pancetta and coated in thyme, rosemary, cracked black pepper and salt flakes, then served on a lightly toasted wholemeal bread (homemade of course) with a side serving of Malbec.

'kin A. Just had it,
    Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh get you.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,194
    orraloon wrote:

'kin A. Just had it,
    Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh get you.
    My real name is Jamie. Or is that Jimmy?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Heaven Sausage egg chips & beans
    Hell Butter/margarine. And as for mayonnaise - the devil's jizz.
    How do Bally. With your food hell , how do you manage having a sarnie?

Hiya resident foreign ale expert.
    Sarnies are no problem. Whatever filling I have is just placed directly between the bread. Sometimes I have to watch out for them trying to slide apart though.
    Gotcha. Next you’ll be “clean eating “ and avoiding the Wimpy bar on Milford Common. Or has that closed? Confused since Titanic Brewery opened a cafe in Baswich, Stafford. Or there’s beer at the Chet?

P1030802+(600+x+450).jpg

Must admit that I have never been in The Bod but I have used Slaters brewey on St Albans industrial estate some years back. The Chet is still going strong. The Seven Stars added a Wacky Warehouse at the back but the business went bump. Has been refurbished and reopened and is no doubt another plastic pub.
  • Cheers Bally, nice pic. Catch you on the Chase one day for a pint of mild in the Chet.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Cheers Bally, nice pic. Catch you on the Chase one day for a pint of mild in the Chet.

Look forward to it.
    I may even bring my wallet. :lol:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Heaven: the stunning lemon cheesecake I once had in Oban

Hell: tinned tomato soup. Satan's p155.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,478
    Heaven: Seafood, preferably swimming moments earlier. Thai pork omlettes. Loved them when I was there on holiday 20 years ago and only ever found 1 place here that does them any justice. Also, Liquorice (Bassets allsorts or the 'proper' stuff) and peanut M&M's

Hell: Strawberries - love the look of them and like strawberrry flavoured things. Fresh strawberries however are stomach churning (literally - I have to leave the room when their served and have to send back deserts when they arrive with a quartered strawbery garnish! Why do that for foooks sake).
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Heaven: Seafood (in particular the langoustines I had in Plockton last week), crab, a decent rare steak (a guy at work gave me a large box containing 1/4 of one of his highland cows, 10/10), Big tasty from MacDonalds, those microwave pizza things, haribo, My mother's lasagna, and her chocolate beer cake (Delia recipe, add cream), Scallops with black pudding and bacon, nice black pudding, any apple flavoured sweets, a proper steak and ale pie, smoked salmon, mussels, venison cooked by me in various configurations (I made an amazing chocolate and chilli venison casserole a while ago).

My current and most overwhelming food obsession is perfectly hard, sweet cherry tomatoes. Any with the slightest hint of under-ripeness, softness or powdery texture are met with much disdain.

Hell: bad tomatoes. Things which are made from the contents of the waste bin at an abattoir but don't even taste nice ie cheap sausages or poor quality black pudding. Perfectly happy to eat arseh0les and kn0bs if they are made into a delicious Macdonalds burger... Also, anything that makes my hands unnecessarily sticky unless I can clean them immediately. Watching the GF cook with syrup or treacle and everything ends up stuck together, makes me feel sick.

The more I think about it the more I think I might have a problem...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    HaydenM wrote:

Yes, you said you like McDonalds products - eliminates any credibility you might have had about everything else you said! .......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • haydenm
    Rolf F wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Yes, you said you like McDonalds products - eliminates any credibility you might have had about everything else you said! .......

But it does taste nice, the quality is dreadful but the taste is good...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    HaydenM wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I guess it's hard to argue with that (It's at least 20 years since I had a McDonalds and I don't recall that tasting any better than the terrible things I ate during the lunch break at school so maybe the taste has changed more than the appearance!).

I have a better relationship along similar lines with doner kebabs but then I've probably not eaten one of those for 20 years either and generally they were always eaten whilst intoxicated!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • haydenm
    Doner 'meat', garlic mayo, 10 pints= food heaven.

Not in that order
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    HaydenM wrote:

Not in that order

Agreed. Although the doner meat without 10 pints becomes food hell.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,478
    Shortfall wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Not in that order

Agreed. Although the doner meat without 10 pints becomes food hell.

A proper Gyros pitta though whilst on a greek Island is Heaven with or without the beers
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    HaydenM wrote:
    I dunno, I used to think it tasted nice but over the last couple of years it just didn't seem to taste of anything, especially the breakfast stuff. I wonder if they've been reducing the amount of flavouring in stuff to make it "healthy".
  • haydenm
    HaydenM wrote:
    I dunno, I used to think it tasted nice but over the last couple of years it just didn't seem to taste of anything, especially the breakfast stuff. I wonder if they've been reducing the amount of flavouring in stuff to make it "healthy".

A good point, I think a sizable proportion of my attraction to it is the thought of it rather than the taste (aside from a big tasty which I am a big fan of). A double sausage and egg mcmuffin just makes me feel ill all day
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Heaven: Pizza or Indian. Best pizza I ever had was in Crete of all places. Proper fresh dough and ingredients, stone baked. I quite like American style pizza too, but thin wins out. Indian wise I tend to lean towards the hotter end of the scale, tomato based with chicken. Also live s good naan bread and bhaji.

Hell: Mushrooms or offal.

Favourite ingredient: wild garlic. So many uses.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    [quote="crispybug2"
    Hell:- Sweetcorn, the fact that it re-emerges undigested tells me we just shouldn’t be eating it, and it tastes like shite as well![/quote]

Is that why KFC don't sell it anymore?
  • Heaven: Hot apple pie with tirimisu flavoured ice cream.

Hell: I was once forced to try a traditional Bulgarian beverage called ‘Boza’ which is a very thick brown fermented drink with chunks of sweetcorn in. It was the most vile thing I’ve ever tasted and despite it being about 8 years ago I still get flashbacks. It tasted exactly what it looked like.