Food Heaven, Food Hell

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Christ. We can't even live and let live when it comes to favourite and hated foods! :lol:

No wonder the Brexit thread is longer than the Dead Sea scrolls.

Thankfully no political party is suggesting a referendum on bacon. Besides, I'm happy...pizza tonight..with bits of (streaky) bacon on it :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Heaven: Kelly's Clotted Cream Ice Cream or Walker's Sensations Californian Honey and Salt peanuts. If it has to be 'real' food I'd go for the chestnut soup I had in a Munich restaurant - it must be the nicest thing I've ever eaten.

Hell: There's not much I hate but it would be more texture based, I don't like slimy food. I would guess something like tripe or jellied eels would be high on the list but have never tried them. I'm not a fan of hot curries and I'm convinced no-one really likes them but they think they look hard by eating them. Don't like pears either, especially when tinned.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Heavens.
    Nicely grilled/fried fish kept simple.
    Good bread
    (my) Dauphinoise potatoes

Hells.
    Another one who doesn't like organs.
    cabbage
    Inappropriate chilli. Chilli is fine if it's where it's supposed to be; in a chilli or a hot curry etc, but WTF is it doing on, say, smoked salmon? What is wrong with chefs these days? They're obsessed with the stuff.

The older I get, the better I was.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Pross wrote:
    Hell: There's not much I hate but it would be more texture based, I don't like slimy food.
    May seem a strange question, but are you dyslexic?
    Daughter is dyslexic and is like this, apparently it's a common trait in dyslexics.
  • Pross
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Hell: There's not much I hate but it would be more texture based, I don't like slimy food.
    Daughter is dyslexic and is like this, apparently it's a common trait in dyslexics.

Not that I know of!
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Heaven - Hot, flavourful curry where you can taste the fruitiness and heat of the chillies.

Hell - Coriander. It’s vile and tastes like I’m eating soap. It totally ruins any food for me, it’s in most curries so I ask for it to be left out.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Heaven - Hot, flavourful curry where you can taste the fruitiness and heat of the chillies.

Hell - Coriander. It’s vile and tastes like I’m eating soap. It totally ruins any food for me, it’s in most curries so I ask for it to be left out.

Apparently the hate of coriander is genetic (like the ability to smell asparagus pee)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Pross wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Not that I know of!
    Aah, so my scientific study with a research group of 1 was fitting in with what I read, double the size of the research group and the theory is blown out of the water. :lol:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Not that I know of!
    Aah, so my scientific study with a research group of 1 was fitting in with what I read, double the size of the research group and the theory is blown out of the water. :lol:

My like or dislike of food isn't necessarily based on texture, and I'm not dyslexic.

Does that help? :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Yes, excluding variables does help. But as you display signs of senility then the addition of this new one invalidates your point.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Christ. We can't even live and let live when it comes to favourite and hated foods! :lol:

The Dead Sea Scrolls? Don't make me laugh, they are not even 9m long. The Bayeux Tapestry is the one to beat - 68m - and more apposite. We can do this.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Robert88 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

The Dead Sea Scrolls? Don't make me laugh, they are not even 9m long. The Bayeux Tapestry is the one to beat - 68m - and more apposite. We can do this.
    Now that's a fun game. Is May Harold?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    More to the point, the scrolls and the tapestry were created by people in weird clothes.

We're back on the BJ Burqa thread again - let us await the foresight (mainly hindsight) of Coopster and Nick!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    NorvernRob wrote:

Apparently the hate of coriander is genetic (like the ability to smell asparagus pee)

That makes sense, as most people don’t know what I’m talking about when I say it tastes like soap! I thought there must be more to it than just a dislike of the taste.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Ben6899 wrote:
    More to the point, the scrolls and the tapestry were created by people in weird clothes.

But the English have some great moustaches
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • NorvernRob wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:

That makes sense, as most people don’t know what I’m talking about when I say it tastes like soap! I thought there must be more to it than just a dislike of the taste.
    No, there is some truth in this. Coriander is used in varying doses in some Belgian ales. I can detect it and quite like it, some in the beer quaffing world hate it with a passion. They find it offensive, not just off-putting. It’s not just you.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Heaven - Pizza but I'm talking a really good proper pizza such as you can eat in somewhere like da Michele, Napoli (but other genuine pizzeria are available). I feel sorry for those that buy stuff from the likes of Pizza Express etc. and think that the execrable shite they're eating is pizza - it's not pizza it's just a load of [usually unhealthy} stuff put in an oven and then chucked onto a plate by a spotty faced kid on minimum wage who doesn't know any better.

Hell - Cucumber. Just can't stand the slime green turds.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Not that I know of!

It is definitely a possible symptom of dyspraxia. To over simplify these would be the clumsy people that you know (and over sensitive to textures)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    NorvernRob wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:
    No, there is some truth in this. Coriander is used in varying doses in some Belgian ales. I can detect it and quite like it, some in the beer quaffing world hate it with a passion. They find it offensive, not just off-putting. It’s not just you.
    Are you talking about the leaf, or the seed? Both, or just one, can be in a curry, depending on the recipe.
    I know many people dislike the taste/smell of the leaf, but the seed is quite different, slightly lemony. Crushed, it goes well not just in curries but with several other dishes, some pork or cauliflower preparations, for example.

In similar vein perhaps, I love the taste of what one can make with elderberry flowers or the later resultant berries (lemonade, fritters, juice, vinegar, wine, jam, gin), but I can't stand the smell of elderberry leaves - they smell like wet dogs to me.
  • Pross
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Not that I know of!

It is definitely a possible symptom of dyspraxia. To over simplify these would be the clumsy people that you know (and over sensitive to textures)

Now a mild form of that I wouldn't be surprised if I had.
  • Pross
    Ben6899 wrote:

We're back on the BJ Burqa thread again - let us await the foresight (mainly hindsight) of Coopster and Nick!

BJ Burqa sounds like a niche adult entertainment film!
  • knedlicky wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Are you talking about the leaf, or the seed? Both, or just one, can be in a curry, depending on the recipe.
    I know many people dislike the taste/smell of the leaf, but the seed is quite different, slightly lemony. Crushed, it goes well not just in curries but with several other dishes, some pork or cauliflower preparations, for example.

In similar vein perhaps, I love the taste of what one can make with elderberry flowers or the later resultant berries (lemonade, fritters, juice, vinegar, wine, jam, gin), but I can't stand the smell of elderberry leaves - they smell like wet dogs to me.
    Both, I guess. Some people find it offensive, full stop. Used in brewing it is generally in seed form and is apparently harmless. Some people can detect it a mile off. I don’t think it’s like lavender (for example) where the dosage is immediately apparent.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Pross wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Not that I know of!

Now a mild form of that I wouldn't be surprised if I had.

Yep it is a sliding scale.

V68 and I should set us a surgery, though it would only work for people who wanted a diagnosis and no cure
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pross wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

BJ Burqa sounds like a niche adult entertainment film!

Through the Keyhole?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Heaven: monster munch. Hell: Melon
    should of used giantorangecannon
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Heaven Sausage egg chips & beans
    Hell Butter/margarine. And as for mayonnaise - the devil's jizz.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Both, I guess. Some people find it offensive, full stop. Used in brewing it is generally in seed form and is apparently harmless. Some people can detect it a mile off. I don’t think it’s like lavender (for example) where the dosage is immediately apparent.

well belgian brewers use the seeds,crushed, its more citrussy/lemony flavour you find in witbier styles, but there are certainly English brewers who use the leaves instead, that gives it a more herb,floral taste, but you have to be careful to balance the flavours with the malt & hops to get it right and increasingly Id argue that art is being lost as people chuck anything they can get their hands on to add "flavor"

remember once at a curry restaurant in Singapore, they recommended eating coriander seeds after a curry as a kind of post meal thing instead of the usual Brit thing of a melting mint chocolate, to help aid digestion and settle your stomach, and it worked.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    How do Bally. With your food hell , how do you manage having a sarnie?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:
    How do Bally. With your food hell , how do you manage having a sarnie?

Hiya resident foreign ale expert.
    Sarnies are no problem. Whatever filling I have is just placed directly between the bread. Sometimes I have to watch out for them trying to slide apart though.
  • ballysmate
    Another hell - Shellfish. Shiteaters from the sea bed.