Music source while you ride?

2»

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Oh look, someone bringing back a month old thread to continue a pointless debate with no right or wrong answer!

Must be a slow day in the retirement home :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • There are enough distractions, and idiots, whilst cycling. I don’t need any more.

You could insulate yourself from those distractions by listening to music on your headphones.

Your welcome.

You're*
  • There are enough distractions, and idiots, whilst cycling. I don’t need any more.

You could insulate yourself from those distractions by listening to music on your headphones.

Your welcome.

You're*

Thanks - your a star too. xx
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I listen to the glorious whirring sound made by my reassuringly expensive Italian drive train.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    drlodge wrote:
    I listen to the glorious whirring sound made by my reassuringly expensive Italian drive train.

If I'd spent that much wedge on an expensive drivetrain, I'd want it to be silent...
  • mtn biking - music no problem. the road - No Music! it's dangerous out there and no worth adding more risk, which headphones/music definitely does.
  • Give Aftershockz Treks a look. They’re built to allow music but also give situational awareness. There are a lot of times I advise people against music as it puts their safety in jeopardy.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    glenncz wrote:
    mtn biking - music no problem. the road - No Music! it's dangerous out there and no worth adding more risk, which headphones/music definitely does.

I would say the opposite - mountain biking needs far more concentration!
  • I don't listen to anything bar the wind/traffic/countryside - the way I ride a bike it's a miracle I haven't crashed yet, yet alone deafening myself to the outside world!!
  • Age old debate as with any other outdoor activity on the road. I jog with music and I've thought about music while riding but I've already had some close calls with cars so no I won't and don't recommend it unless it's some of those new headphones that allow for outside noise
  • I don't think it's the 'you can't hear traffic' bit that's the issue? For me it would be the zoning out, I'm not one to be able to listen to music and, for example, read a book. When I'm trying to concentrate on something complex with loud music in the background I find it nearly impossible. YMMV
  • I would hit up your local thrift stores or pawn shops to find old iPods, I too listen to music when I ride, not always but sometimes and definitely use ear buds where you can wear one in and one out!
  • Don't get the argument about not listening to music for concentration reasons. Do you people drive without the radio on too?

I just use dirt cheap ear buds as they get manky - 1 ear bud in the left ear, right ear I tuck into my jersey. Can still hear all round you plus tunes.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's not the same as driving with music on.
    You've got 2t of steel around you.
    You've got three mirrors to see behind you.
    You're going at the same speed as most traffic.

Tried cycling with music and found myself getting surprised by cars. It's not for me. I'm happy without.