Music source while you ride?

AncientOwl
AncientOwl Posts: 6
edited December 2018 in Road beginners
Hi guys new here, just starting out and just wondered what you guys use to play music whilst you ride ie phone or ipod etc, i have a spotify account and would like to use this but don’t really want to use my phone, anyone know the oldest ipod version i can use or other mp3 player that won’t brake the bank? thanks in advance

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    Just sing to yourself.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Erm, does not compute. Why do you want to block out all the wonderful noises that go along with the freedom of a bike ride?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    None of the MFs do because no matter how they great their taste in music is (and it is beter than yours) even their personal mega tunes Spotify playlists won't stop them getting dead disease/paralysis disease when a car ploughs into them because they didn't hear it coming.

#badidea
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingstongraham
    Erm, does not compute. Why do you want to block out all the wonderful noises that go along with the freedom of a bike ride?

Like what? Wind noise?

Don't listen to music generally myself, unless occasionally on a very long climb but it's for the reasons one of the MFs states, not because of the wonderful traffic noise I enjoy so much. If music lifts your mood, then it can make a ride better, obviously.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    To answer the OP's question!

I use one of these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Clip-J ... k+clip+jam

Good battery life, micro sd slot, tiny size and also plays Audible. A bit plastic but my latest one has
    survived three years of jersey pocket sweat so good enough quality.

I use just one earplug at lowish volune and have never had a safety issue (60k miles and counting)
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    None of the MFs do because no matter how they great their taste in music is (and it is beter than yours) even their personal mega tunes Spotify playlists won't stop them getting dead disease/paralysis disease when a car ploughs into them because they didn't hear it coming.

#badidea

Because if you could hear it coming you could bunny hop over it?
  • Matthewfalle
    Craigus89 wrote:

#badidea

Because if you could hear it coming you could bunny hop over it?

exactly my friend.

#skillz

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • A couple of weeks ago I had a puncture one Sunday morning. I was stopped just off a major A road while I changed my inner tube when I suddenly heard some music. Looking across the main road there was a guy riding down the road on a bike with a radio or some such loudly playing music! First and only time I’ve ever seen (or heard) this, particularly riding down a major busy road.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Ear worms. Cheap and 100% safe.
  • kingstongraham
    A couple of weeks ago I had a puncture one Sunday morning. I was stopped just off a major A road while I changed my inner tube when I suddenly heard some music. Looking across the main road there was a guy riding down the road on a bike with a radio or some such loudly playing music! First and only time I’ve ever seen (or heard) this, particularly riding down a major busy road.

There was a guy used to ride through Hammersmith and down to Roehampton every day who had a radio loudly tuned to Smooth FM attached to his handlebars. On a crappy old bike, dressed like he'd just finished at a building site, ridiculously quick, and shouted at any cyclist wearing cycling clothing. Hated all cyclists. I miss him.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Never have music on the bike. Really don't get the people who need their headphones on all of the time. Great fun watching them sit on the tube when they've announced the train is terminating there.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

Like what? Wind noise?

Don't listen to music generally myself, unless occasionally on a very long climb but it's for the reasons one of the MFs states, not because of the wonderful traffic noise I enjoy so much. If music lifts your mood, then it can make a ride better, obviously.

I understand that it's a struggle for you city types but as the MFs have pointed out it's a potential life saver in traffic, there's plenty of wildlife to listen to on rural rides, discourse with riding partners and/or other road users.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887

Like what? Wind noise?

I understand that it's a struggle for you city types but as the MFs have pointed out it's a potential life saver in traffic, there's plenty of wildlife to listen to on rural rides, discourse with riding partners and/or other road users.

How exactly is it a life saver in traffic? What would you propose to do if you "heard" a car approaching that hasn't seen you? (I'm making the assumption that they have a different sound so as to distinguish them from the ones that pass you a few feet further right). So assuming they have their I'm about to drive into you siren on, what course of action would you take? Bunny hop into the hedge/onto the pavement?
  • kingstongraham

Like what? Wind noise?

Discourse with other road users isn't generally one of the wonderful noises in my experience.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I occasionally ride with music if I'm hitting the trails solo, but it depends on how I'm feeling and where I'm going. Generally I just prefer to listen to the sounds of nature, and my Mavic freehub :)

I'd never ride on the road with music on though. You definitely need to keen an ear open for cars, busses and taxis as they try to draft your back wheel or squeeze past you.

The Deliveroo guys don't seem to care mind you, but tbh a lot of them are as much of a menace as the dodgy drivers.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Matthewfalle
    Bunny hop into the hedge/onto the pavement?

yes. just because you are not very good and can't do it please don't try and drag superior people down to your level. and by superior people MF means MF.

MF generaly just bunny hops over any errant cars before continuing on MF's way with a cheery whistle and smile.

#skillz

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Danny MFcaskill :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Craigus89 wrote:

Like what? Wind noise?

How exactly is it a life saver in traffic? What would you propose to do if you "heard" a car approaching that hasn't seen you? (I'm making the assumption that they have a different sound so as to distinguish them from the ones that pass you a few feet further right). So assuming they have their I'm about to drive into you siren on, what course of action would you take? Bunny hop into the hedge/onto the pavement?

It's less hearing oncoming danger but the fact that listening to something like music or podcasts can distract you from comprehending a potential risk as you're concentrating on what you're listening to.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It's as bad as the urban layabout on a bso with mobile phone permanently clamped to ear.
    Deliveroos or in my town, urgent dispatch drug runners (you'd think they could afford better bikes) (or steal better bikes)
  • kingstongraham
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:

Like what? Wind noise?

It's less hearing oncoming danger but the fact that listening to something like music or podcasts can distract you from comprehending a potential risk as you're concentrating on what you're listening to.

A few especially talented people can manage it even in control of a car.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    Having had a car run into the back of me in a 40mph zone I can confirm that even without music and headphones you have no prior warning that the said car is not going to pass you a few feet to your right as every other car for the last 20 years did.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • No, no, no and no.

Keep your ears open to the sounds of everything that's going on around you. It just might save your life. It's madness to compromise your safety in such away.

Seriously though I have no idea as to why people would want to ride a bike with their hearing impaired by having a set of headphones or earbuds in them - I can understand it if you're in your house or on a turbo trainer, but when you're out in the big bad world, then you'd really want to know what's going on around you??
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    what sounds going on around you ? theres an incessent wind noise roar, which depending on the direction and speed can create all manner of weird effects through the shape of the holes on your helmet. in built up urban areas, theres just traffic noise, from engines from the tyres on the road, thats before you add in building sites/roadwork noise, car stereos, car mobile phone conversations.

its just all alot white noise I cant focus on it or work out which direction any of it is coming from,I try to dial it out as best I can with ear worms.
  • Wind and road noise is far louder than music, unless it is turned up to damaging volume. I personally think it less noisy with buds in and music than wind rushing by and tyre roar from cars. I can still hear cars coming, always makes me wonder why people say you can't hear anything with buds in cos you can. Just moved to conductive phones for running and if I get near a road tyre roar still drowns music out.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I sometimes ride with music (Bluetooth headphones connect to my phone works well for me) and sometimes don't.

I am curious to know what situation/noise people would be aware of that would save their life? I car coming up behind you doesn't sound much different if it is going to hit you or not. You can sometimes tell if they are going to try and overtake (changing down gears for example) but not sure this would save your life very often?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    I am curious to know what situation/noise people would be aware of that would save their life? I car coming up behind you doesn't sound much different if it is going to hit you or not. You can sometimes tell if they are going to try and overtake (changing down gears for example) but not sure this would save your life very often?

There isn't a situation and it's probably the same people who say wearing all black kit guarantees that you'll be murdered by a lorry.
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    I am curious to know what situation/noise people would be aware of that would save their life?

Someone shouting "Don't go down there, there's a man throwing big rocks at bike riders".
  • There are enough distractions, and idiots, whilst cycling. I don’t need any more.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    For me I ride mainly in country lanes. Hearing vehicles approaching means I can position myself to be more visible or at least be aware that a vehicle might be cutting that blind corner ahead and ease off. I appreciate in an urban environment with so much else going on in terms of noise this may not be as useful.
  • There are enough distractions, and idiots, whilst cycling. I don’t need any more.

You could insulate yourself from those distractions by listening to music on your headphones.

Your welcome.