Tory Tweet

2»

Comments

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    PBlakeney wrote:
    its not likely to pass.
    I hope it does come to pass. It is meaningless dressing that no sensible cyclist could object to.
    One less thing for them to get angry about in the future. Now, about all those dangerous drivers...

my concern is once these laws are introduced is it wont be long because the stats suggest theres nearly 1.5 instances of this per day happening, before theres a case brought by the cps on the causing serious injury by dangerous/careless cycling law theyve proposed, everyones focusing on the death by dangerous, but the serious injury cycling one is there too,and carries a max 5 year prison sentence, equal in sentencing guidelines to the death by careless cycling.

and it will be very difficult for the cyclist to prove they werent at fault, infront of a jury preconditioned to the usual nonsense about "jumping red lights" "not paying road tax", "speeding", instead of the motorists "there but for the grace of god"

and on the "speeding" part I was reading today there are objections in Cambridge to two new cycling lanes by local residents because “fast cycle commuters” would be arriving in the area at the same time as parents dropping off children at school.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... s-15028062

thats right they are more concerned (and seriously read the article to get a number of the average residents view of what cycling might do to their roads in one of the alleged most cycling friendly cities) that there might be cyclists getting in the way of parents dropping off kids at school in cars, even though its the flippin cars causing the congestion on the narrow roads and the cars are more likely to be the ones being unsafe.

you want to be up against a jury of those types of locals trying to prove you werent cycling carelessly ?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    Up to date I have been cycling for over 50 years.
    I have come into contact with zero pedestrians. I have had zero near misses. Just saying...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I have come into contact with zero pedestrians. I have had zero near misses. Just saying...

I wish I'd your luck! Been knocked off twice by pedestrians. Once on a cycle track when a very overweight woman simply walked in front of me without looking. Second time hit by a jogger broadside when they ran into the road, also without looking.
  • PBlakeney wrote:

Maybe the law isn’t not aimed at you.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    awavey wrote:
    my concern is once these laws are introduced is it wont be long because the stats suggest theres nearly 1.5 instances of this per day happening, before theres a case brought by the cps on the causing serious injury by dangerous/careless cycling law theyve proposed, everyones focusing on the death by dangerous, but the serious injury cycling one is there too,and carries a max 5 year prison sentence, equal in sentencing guidelines to the death by careless cycling.
    ?

Yes I could see some poor sod getting hung out to dry. If bikes are dangerous enough that the legislation has to mirror that for motor vehicles makes you wonder why they build shared pedestrian and cycle paths.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    awavey wrote:

and it will be very difficult for the cyclist to prove they werent at fault, infront of a jury preconditioned to the usual nonsense about "jumping red lights" "not paying road tax", "speeding", instead of the motorists "there but for the grace of god"

you want to be up against a jury of those types of locals trying to prove you werent cycling carelessly ?

This. Riding through town the other day doing about 17-20mph and a girl staring at her phone stepped off the kerb right in front of me, assume she heard no cars and thought it was safe, I yelled as loud as I could and swerved, she screamed, I got looks from everyone around as if I were in the wrong.

Initially I was very glad I didn't hit her of course, would probably end badly for the poor girl. I then thought about what would have happened to me if I'd hit her, it wouldn't surprise me with all the anti-cycling stuff around if I were 'hung out to dry'.

I'm not sure if this is purely a problem for cyclists though, the press and people in general will demonise any one that could be categorised into any group.
  • pblakeney
    Robert88 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

I wish I'd your luck! Been knocked off twice by pedestrians. Once on a cycle track when a very overweight woman simply walked in front of me without looking. Second time hit by a jogger broadside when they ran into the road, also without looking.
    I am of the view that cycle paths are for the most part not fit for purpose and avoid them. Shared paths in particular.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    It would be good news for action cam manufacturers as all cyclists rush out to buy them in order to have the evidence to prove their innocence in the case of any collision...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    JoeNobody wrote:
    It would be good news for action cam manufacturers as all cyclists rush out to buy them in order to have the evidence to prove their innocence in the case of any collision...
    Not to mention all the cows hoping to clear their names...
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    bompington wrote:
    Not to mention all the cows hoping to clear their names...
    :lol:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    pbblakely your encounter is why I don't use shared paths as a rule and if I have I trundle along very slowly like I have nowhere to be. tbh I'd rather be on the road. Pedestrians never look where they are going. In Denmark, however, they do because if a pedestrian crosses into a cycle lane and gets hit, it's there fault.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pblakeney
    pbblakely your encounter is why I don't use shared paths as a rule and if I have I trundle along very slowly like I have nowhere to be. tbh I'd rather be on the road. Pedestrians never look where they are going. In Denmark, however, they do because if a pedestrian crosses into a cycle lane and gets hit, it's there fault.
    I agree 100%
    You are probably replying to Robert88.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I agree 100%
    You are probably replying to Robert88.

TCC, look before you post? :wink:

Anyway IME cyclists are very likely to suffer most when colliding with a pedestrian. Look at the tdf. A rider only has to have their handle bar tweaked by a spectator and over they go.