CAAD12 Dura Ace Disc

2»

Comments

• Poptart242 wrote:
    Poptart242 wrote:
    rocking that. top het.

be better once you have cut the rubbish off the top of the stem.

Stupid top cap is 25mm, so I've ordered a 5mm slam that stem job and some hope spacers in purple - 15mm below, 5mm on top, bosh. Much cleaner.

why are you putting a 5mm on top? just get the steerer cut properly and you won't need it to be able to pre-load.

just amateurish/lazy otherwise.

Well....this lazy amateur will be keeping 5mm on top.

If you are using the standard Cannondale headset topcap and expander bung thing they are designed not to have any spacers on top. Details are in the manual. Think is down to how the bung supports the steerer tube from the stem.
  • ...although the story of how a conker falling from a tree damaged the top tube of its CAAD12 predecessor is odd and concerning in equal measure.

Bl**dy hell
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    It's now after the weekend, time to come good on your promise of more photos ;)

Well it rained all weekend, and this weekend coming I'm riding 250 miles so I had a prettty lazy one... but I felt guilty so here are some photos, indoors, unwashed: https://photos.app.goo.gl/F1xEzWwXWLsY3hNr8
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Still looks good mate, even when dirty and indoors! Love the sticker on your top tube :P

All the best for your big ride this weekend ;)

Side note: That's crazy about the conker in the linked thread above, must have been a big one! Or is it a wind up and he dented in some other way?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Also - managed to pick up a stem on eBay - 130mm, -17. Anyone know if acetone is safe to use on carbon fibre? Not a fan of non-matchy graphics so I'd rather it was stealthy than plastered with red and white FSA logos.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I'd be a bit concerned it might make the clear coat go a bit misty. Do you have any old carbon parts you could test it on first?

Actually, I just Googled it and found this...

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mech ... nents.html
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • acetone is fine - its nail varnish and whiteboard marker remover - on the carbon but as above test for any adverse reactions in a small hidden place first.

#dedecaled
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Funnily enough, ended up on that page myself after asking the question. Seems to be asking a wee bit for trouble as it can damage the resin, however unlikely. Given that the stem is a major point of failure I'll likely stay away from that! Might strip my alu one for the fun of it though.
  • It's so low on the liklihood of causing damage as to be non-existent.

Have you ever worked with resins? Basically anything you use to manipulate the resin is consignable to the bin afterwards, regardless of acetone.

I use it when removing decals from carbon wheels. Absolutely no dramas.

Practise on the alu one if you wish but no reason not to do the carbon one too.
  • Fair points on the acetone, probably being too cautious.

Riding from Leeds to Edinburgh this weekend, so a bit of a clean up and a couple of wee updates:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jZceLPAKAaZCcDvS7

Bontrager bottle cages, bolts, bar ends and spacers all in matching purple - that's as far as the customisation can go I think. Maybe deeper wheels if someone were to buy these ones or swap I guess.
  • looks even better dirty! very nice bike