Play in Shimano 105 5800 bottom bracket

2»

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Oh, and I'm keeping an eye on your thread because my son's just bought a Cube, and he's going to be putting a lot more stress through the cranks than I ever could. I'll not tell him lest it spoils his enjoyment, but I know what I'll be looking at first if he reports any creaking...
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    Update.

Called bike shop today as haven't heard anything for a week. Good job I did. Apparently, cube have offered a new 2018 frameset. The bike shop had the message, but they hadn't get the email that was sent and nobody had checked anything. If I hadn't called, I'd probably have been waiting another week for nothing. They really are quite useless at this sort of thing.

Anyhow, looks like I'll get a new frameset with all of my old stuff bolted back onto it. Wheels won't be the correct colour as the new frames are different, but I'm not that fussed. I just want a working bike.

One thing I did query was the fork. The chap on the phone didn't know if I would get a new fork. However, I'm guessing the fork comes with a frameset? Hope so because the old fork is a completely different colour to the new. I don't mind different coloured wheels, but a non matching fork would look silly. Alarm bells did ring though when he asked if I had returned everything off my old bike. They had the whole thing back!

I will say I'm not looking forward to receiving the rebuilt bike. The bike shop messed up so much on my old bike when I received it. I'm not hoping for this one to be built back up properly. Oh well. We'll see. Hoping to collect it this coming weekend. Let the fun and games begin. :)
  • keef66
    Result! If they used the term frameset rather than frame, I'd take that to mean frame and fork. Be pretty shoddy if they try to palm you off with a new frame and your old, mismatched fork.

If it was me I'd want it all back and I'd build it up myself, but I'm guessing the bike shop get something from Cube so have a vested interest in doing it?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Good news that you're getting sorted.

Take it from the LBS in whatever guise and then have it rebuilt anyway, by someone else (where are you based? maybe we can recommend someone).

Or rebuild it yourself, if you're confident.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • benws1
    I'm based in south Lincolnshire. About 30 minutes from Peterborough.

Spoke to bike shop today as I hadn't heard anything since last Monday when I called them. They said they haven't had the frameset from Cube yet.

Got a bit cheesed off with this and asked them why it's taking so long. Also asked why I don't get any updates or nothing gets chased until I call them. Person on the end of the phone didn't really say much. Just said they will speak to Cube and call me later. It's 1:30pm now and they still haven't called me. They are f-ing useless.
  • keef66
    Ask them to lend you a bike while Cube are getting round to sending you a new frameset?

Since they have admitted a fault, consumer protection says they have an obligation to sort it out within a reasonable period of time and without subjecting you to major inconvenience. Hard to say what either of those actually mean, but being without a bike for several weeks I'd say they are failing on both counts.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    good point Keef Actually cant he just ask for his money back in full?
  • keef66
    While in theory it might be possible still to reject the thing and ask for a refund, because it's 18 months old it would be a harder argument to make. Might have more options if he paid using a credit card
  • benws1
    Thanks for the posts. Rejection never even crossed my mind because of the time frame since I bought the thing. I do want the bike, or a similar bike that has been built correctly.

I've spoken to the bike shop again today. They have told me the frameset will not be delivered now for another three weeks! I asked about a courtesy bike but they said they can't guarantee me a road bike. What is the point of that if I'm not given a road bike?

I'm going to write to the bike shop manager about this. I'm quite sick of it all to be honest. Another three week wait is silly. I will highlight how they are failing to sort me out in a reasonable amount of time.
  • Vino'sGhost
    dont write, youve done enough. time to name and shame :) From your description you've been exceptionally reasonable
  • benws1
    :)

Rutland Cycles are the shop. It's the Peterborugh branch.

Cube are the manufacturer. I think they are as bad as each other.
  • keef66
    Rutland also do hire bikes, so it's not unreasonable to expect one on loan.
  • Vino'sGhost
    benws1 wrote:
    :)

Rutland Cycles are the shop. It's the Peterborugh branch.

Cube are the manufacturer. I think they are as bad as each other.

Nicely done and like Keef says they do bike hire so should be able to help .....If they can be arsed to.

Thing is this sort of problem is frequently sloping shouldered unless the vendor (thats who sold it to you not Cube) gives a hoot. Fobbing things off as the Manufacturers issue is poor. Remind them you paid for a bike to use, due to an accepted manufacturing fault the bike is not available so please refund the entire price of the bike.

I'm sure they care and were just talking about the worst case but it wouldnt hurt to remind them. :)
  • Vino'sGhost
    heres what they say on their website
    Rutland Cycling issue no warranties, all warranties are issued by manufacturers. For this reason we may need to send your goods to the manufacturer for inspection before taking any action. Please see the relevant manufacturer's website for full warranty information.
    Only products that are faulty, damaged or not as described from ourselves are eligible for free postage and returns/ exchanges. If damage has been caused through wear and tear, improper care or some other factor beyond our control then it will not be covered.
    Once an item has been used, or if packaging has been damaged it can still be returned to us, however we - and the manufacturer - reserve the right to offer a repair, replacement or partial refund.

Good news is your consumer rights are your consumer rights. They're a big company just get a refund and go and get a bike from a retailer that takes charge of problems and solves them.
  • benws1
    Thanks all. I'll call tomorrow and ask about the refund.
  • benws1
    keef66 wrote:
    Rutland also do hire bikes, so it's not unreasonable to expect one on loan.

Indeed.

However, they can't guarantee me a road bike. No point taking the 40 minute drive over there if they can't do that. Person on the phone said they could only give me what they have available. Could be a mountain bike. :)
  • benws1
    Managed to get a full refund. :)

My new frame wasn't going to be here for a long time. I wrote to the bike shop manager detailing everything and he agreed to refund me.

It's a shame because when it worked, it was a good bike. I had far too many problems with it though.

This episode has put me off Rutland Cycles and Cube bikes for good.
  • keef66
    Result! Kind of. As long as you can put the hassle, loss of riding time and the cost of a BB behind you...

On a positive note the 2018 bikes are in the sales now...

Just need to find something not from Rutland, not a Cube, and no doubt you'd be nervous about press-fit bottom brackets. Hmmm.
  • keef66
    If it's not a rude question, how much money are you able /wanting to spend?

Avoiding press-fit BBs appears to be harder than I first imagined though; all the major / volume manufacturers seem to use them in one form or another.

Mind you, thousands of riders, me included, experience no problems with them at all. I'd have another bike which takes a standard Shimano pressfit BB / chainset. Less sure about BB30 and it's various spin-offs, asymmetric BB shells etc...
  • benws1
    I have £1000 to spend.

I'm sure the press fit BB is fine. When it's installed in a proper shell. :)
  • Make sure the ‘play’ isn’t just down to not having the pretension set properly. Release the NDS crank bolts, make sure the pretension is set with the little plastic thingy, re tighten the crank bolts, see if the play is still there. If yes, new BB time, if no, job jobbed.
  • A grand !!! Happy days get a caad12
  • keef66
    Make sure the ‘play’ isn’t just down to not having the pretension set properly. Release the NDS crank bolts, make sure the pretension is set with the little plastic thingy, re tighten the crank bolts, see if the play is still there. If yes, new BB time, if no, job jobbed.

Was there any kind of neural activity between you reading the thread title and typing this nonsense? He no longer has the bike. When he did have the bike neither of your suggestions would have rectified the frame which the manufacturers eventually admitted was defective. :roll:
  • keef66 wrote:
    Make sure the ‘play’ isn’t just down to not having the pretension set properly. Release the NDS crank bolts, make sure the pretension is set with the little plastic thingy, re tighten the crank bolts, see if the play is still there. If yes, new BB time, if no, job jobbed.

Was there any kind of neural activity between you reading the thread title and typing this nonsense? He no longer has the bike. When he did have the bike neither of your suggestions would have rectified the frame which the manufacturers eventually admitted was defective. :roll:

Tl:dr
    And

“Nonsense” :lol:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    keef66 wrote:

Tl:dr

You really haven't been reading the thread, have you? You've been banned from this forum twice already in the last couple of months and you still don't seem to learn...
  • There's some sub £1k hydraulic brake bikes about, such as Felt and Vitus at CRC/Wiggle, but I'd be tempted to at least go and have a look at https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... 5cm-frames (some stores reasonably close to Peterborough with stock)

£1080 with 10% British Cycling discount, plus current promo gives you £50 to spend on accessories. Only slight negative is q/r axles, unknown tyre clearance above stock 25mm tyres, but ~8Kg stock.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo